Skunk!

4/21/16 @ 10:30 AM
ORIGINAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I was up at the cabin this past weekend fishing. In order to get my boat out of our pole shed, I had to move 5 snowmobiles, a Jeep and a trailer. I had both garage doors open for a period of 2 hours while I was moving all of these items. I had snowmobiles and my Jeep running so between that and my huffing and puffing moving stuff around, I was making a pretty good racket. My neighbor who has a key to the shed and another friend on the lake were getting his pontoon ready this morning and smelled a faint skunk odor. He jumped down off his pontoon and saw a skunk scurry from under his pontoon to under my dad's pontoon. He didn't spray so they decided to leave well enough alone and launch the pontoon a different day. They walked all around the shed to see if he had dug his way in but found nothing. He had to have snuck in when I had both doors open and was working in there. They left the doors open and left with the hopes that he'll leave on his own. He's been in there for a week if he snuck in on me so he's gotta be getting hungry. What extraction methods do I have if he doesn't leave on his own? I don't want him to spray as there are two boats, two pontoons, a Jeep and another neighbor's Camaro that will likely have some stink to them for a good part of the season if he does. Ah up north! There's always something fun going on there.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
4/22/16 @ 8:55 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Thanks. I'll take those solutions into consideration. We've really never had issues with skunks and only a few porcupines over the years. I still can't believe that it would have wandered in while I was making so much racket in there moving things around. Try moving a 700 cc Polaris on a dirt/gravel floor by yourself sometime. I was cussing like a sailor.

By the way, if anyone wants to play a great trick on a friend or family member with dogs, try this one. My mom got me with it a few years ago. If you see a stuffed animal skunk at a rummage sale or thrift store, pick it up and place it somewhere on your property where it isn't necessarily obvious to humans but a magnet for dogs. When we got out of the truck my dog b-lined it for the "skunk" while I was screaming, "Noooooooooooooo"! That was payback for many, many shenanigans played on my mom over the years. Big Smile

Post Your Comment
4/22/16 @ 7:10 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
hope the little stinker is gone

here's some ideas on keeping them an other pesty critters away , from automated water sprayers, to granules of deterrents

http://pestkill.org/rodents/skunks/repellents-and-deterrent-solutions/

Post Your Comment
4/22/16 @ 7:05 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Thanks guys. My neighbors "think" that it's out. Not real comfortable with "think" but they don't smell it in there and did manage to get a pontoon out of there without issue.

Post Your Comment
4/21/16 @ 11:52 PM
Mr. Killroy
Mr. Killroy
USER since 5/3/07
I would try getting a radio to the back of the building and blasting some music while leaving the doors open. Just an idea.

Post Your Comment
4/21/16 @ 10:15 PM
4/21/16 @ 11:44 AM
grub
grub
USER since 7/11/01
Conibear 220 cubbie set just outside shed. Throw in a can of tuna....dead skunk.

Post Your Comment
4/21/16 @ 10:48 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
skunk can ruin your day(s) in a hurry

maybe toss in some smelly dryer sheets, works on mice, or maybe some moth balls

Post Your Comment