Shiny Zippers

1/28/16 @ 12:07 PM
ORIGINAL POST
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
OK,dumb title for a topic but I'm hoping someone has a good idea. I'll try to keep it short but brevity's not one of my strong suits...Anyway... I have this camo GoreTex rain jacket I really like for hunting. The zipper broke. It's a light-duty jacket but it's quiet and I like the pocket placement and...I just like it for everyday bowhunting. But the zipper broke. I brought the jacket to a nearby tailor who did a bang-up job replacing that zipper with sturdy metal zipper. ..Ya,that zipper won't be waterproof but I don't hunt in downpours anyway. Besides,when sitting in a treestand and it's drizzling I tend to bend my back enough that my front side doesn't get wet. Anyway,that zipper is shiny. REALLY shiny brass/gold colored. Shiny enough that I think it'll spook deer - especially on a sunny day. I could tape it off and spray paint it but spray paint wears off. I'm thinking of something that will oxidize the metal zipper without damaging or bleaching the surrounding fabric. Any ideas? Besides buying another jacket....This jacket is no longer available otherwise I would....I will probably buy a comparable one - but it's with fewer pockets and a large area under the armpits is brown not camo. Besides,I'm waiting for a sale. That way I'd have this for everyday/NICE day hunting. The new one would be used only when I need raingear. Thanks for any replies. I appreciate it.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
1/29/16 @ 10:38 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
I sent them an inquiry,rik. Thanks.

And Coach - your post did get me to spend a few minutes Googling and reading about Don Ho. I hadn't heard of him for years and thought maybe he'd died back in the late 80's or so...I think I saw it was 2005 when he passed. I saw something that looked like his daughter died a week later. Weird....I didn't really commit any of it to long-term memory - it's not like I could bring it up as small talk at the next cocktail party we attend.

Post Your Comment
1/29/16 @ 3:33 PM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
I toast your good taste, cds!

Post Your Comment
1/29/16 @ 3:30 PM
rikj
rikj
USER since 7/29/01
cds, this product should work. Model KBS5005 for raw alum-copper-brass-bronze-zinc-tin. We always called them acid pens and used them for marking parts in the shop instead of engraving.

http://etching-pen.com/indexphp?id=11&L=13

Post Your Comment
1/29/16 @ 3:18 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Bunch of good ideas. Thanks...Except for Coach. I hope you got a "Tiny Bubbles" earworm like I did. lol.

SC's 'Brass Black' is an acid. That's kind of the direction I'll head but that stuff's too strong....Same goes for the stuff to "age" roofing copper.... Vinegar maybe?

I'd thought of a camo cloth strip to hide it but I often have the jacket unzipped. Then I'd get the gold flash...

Salt's a good idea except I think it's more corrosive in spots. Tough to get an even coating. I'd be afraid I'd get some pitted spots and some still-shiny spots. "Pitted" would spoil the nice new strong metal.

The sharpie's something to keep in mind too.

I took a dremel tool and tiny wire wheel and "polished" it even more - with the thinking that there might be a lacquer or varnish over the metal. There wasn't but it was obvious that there's already been some limited oxidation....I might hunt metro zone once this weekend then the jacket will sit unused until September. There might be enough dulling even without my help but I think I'll try some weak acid (lemon juice or vinegar) - soaked in paper towel strips laid there overnight. Then if I don't get adequate tarnish by August,the sharpies will be used.

thanks guys....Ya,even you Coach.

It'd be nice if that was my worst problem for the week.

Post Your Comment
1/28/16 @ 3:22 PM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
I don't know nuttin' 'bout Shiny Zippers, but your topic made me think of Don Ho's classicTiny Bubbles.

Come to think of it, maybe dousing that zipper in cham-pag-ne might do the trick!

Post Your Comment
1/28/16 @ 2:39 PM
1/28/16 @ 12:52 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06
Have the seemstress sew on a camo zipper cover that has a velcro closure. No shine and protects the zipper from scratching anything.

Post Your Comment
1/28/16 @ 12:38 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Have you ever seen what salt water does to shiny fishing gear? I don't believe those zippers are made out of stainless. They're likely made out of pot metal or something similar. I would think a good brine would take that shine right off.

Post Your Comment
1/28/16 @ 12:34 PM
fltlndr
fltlndr
USER since 12/25/02
If you know anybody that does copper flashing or roofing and find out what they use to make it turn green.

Post Your Comment
1/28/16 @ 12:30 PM
Igor
Igor
USER since 6/20/01
How about a sharpie? Also, they have "pens" for staining small scratches in furniture that nay also help.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts