sewer and water being run by my place

4/20/15 @ 8:02 AM
ORIGINAL POST
fishnotwork
fishnotwork
USER since 3/6/02
So they are planning to run sewer and water past my house next year. I am looking to get some input from people who have gone through this, as to what they paid per foot, (and how long ago that was) and if they were dinged for the street repair. My estimate includes a charge for sewer, water, and roadway. The area's big beef is that they haven't put a dime into the roads by us in 25 years, why should we now fund it versus the general township fund paying for the road repair after the work is done. Our other beef is besides a few homes failing by the river, who can't put new septic systems in, no one is having failure issues, and our wells tested good. The reason it is being run is due to a dispute between the city and township over rights to do so, and annexation threats. The agreement is the township gets to keep the area in their possession, but had to run sewer and water in a certain amount of time (long story and hard to explain this)
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
4/20/15 @ 12:10 PM
fishnotwork
fishnotwork
USER since 3/6/02
As of now Dave, we have been told wells can stay as is, but only allowed to use them for outside, I.E. watering the lawn. The current ordinance is you have to hook up to water if they run it by our place. But that could change. Yes I will be going to every township board/water meeting to keep my eyes open on this. The bill just gets added to my real estate tax bill, over 20 years. So no loan needed, but I have to cough up $1400 more a year for my tax bill. My debate will be if I am going to hook to one, both, or neither. I know the risk of costing me more to hook later, but with a well that tests out fine, and a septic that is 15 years old and only my wife and I in the house, it could be a long time before it fails.

Post Your Comment
4/20/15 @ 10:50 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
Also make sure you inquire on the disposition of your existing well. When they came through on my street when I lived in Wisconsin they told everyone they "must" cap their wells. I checked into it and found that they could NOT force you to cap your well. I was allowed to keep my well and use it for outdoor use. The plumbing change was not very expensive. They got a little testy when I told all my neighbors what I had learned.

Edited on 4/20/15 10:53 AM
Post Your Comment
4/20/15 @ 10:01 AM
Twister
Twister
USER since 6/15/01
The cost will vary by project but it will be hefty. Best thing to do is to go to council meetings and public works meetings to see what is going to happen.

If your street is a high traffic area you might want to ask to have sidewalks put in at the same time. You will want to find out if you are losing any of your property.

Mine went thru about 25 years ago and cost about 10 grand. I got ten years to pay that off. This is a good time to do it because interest rates are low and oil prices (road tar is made out of oil). The interest you pay on the loan is deductible as a home loan when you calculate your taxes each year.

Hope this helps.

Post Your Comment
4/20/15 @ 9:08 AM
fishnotwork
fishnotwork
USER since 3/6/02
Yep, the cost is $224 a foot, for a grand total worst case for me of $28,000, graciously spread out over 20 years of real estate taxes, which only adds $1400 a year to that. Though really shouldn't complain, A lot of my neighbors have 2 or 3 lots due to the fact they bought them to keep the lots empty, so their bills will be double and triple of mine. And the family that has 1000' of frontage, do that math.

Post Your Comment