Refrigerator / Freezer - Freezer Problem

5/10/15 @ 6:30 PM
ORIGINAL POST
mooselegs
mooselegs
USER since 5/27/03
I have a Amana 14.5 cu.ft. refrigerator/freezer that is probably 20 years old...freezer on top, fridge bottom. Recently the freezer stopped freezing the contents; the compartment will stay cold but it will no longer freeze the items. Bottom fridge works fine. I'm not certain if this is a serious issue and the entire unit needs to be replaced or might it be a minor repair? If there are any appliance guys out or anyone knowledgeable about refrigerator repair I would greatly appreciate your input. Thank you ML
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
5/17/15 @ 8:06 PM
mooselegs
mooselegs
USER since 5/27/03
I've given up on the older unit....even if I can resuscitate, who knows what else will go wrong.....20+ years old.....time for the grave yard.

New fridge will be delivered here on Tuesday....can't wait to get this issue out of the way. Then it's on to getting the Trailblazer issue figured out!

Minor problems in life.....no big deal........

Post Your Comment
5/17/15 @ 7:19 PM
Madgill
Madgill
MEMBER since 12/26/01
Ha, I just cleaned my condensor coils today, under the fridge (it was dirty job day). Vacuum, blow out with condensed air from the portable compressor, now clean as a whistle! I have pets, enough pet hair under there to make 2 new ones!

Post Your Comment
5/11/15 @ 9:01 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
I work on large commercial HVAC applications (not an appliance guy), but I do poke at appliances here and there.

First thing is to ensure that your condenser is clean. Not sure on that model, but it may be in the back of the fridge, or it may have a fan at the bottom of the fridge that draws air across the coil. Pull off the bottom snap plate in the front of the fridge and shine a flashlight under there. I can't tell you how many times I've came across a fridge / freezer that wasn't working as good as it used to, only to find a lint sock over the condenser. A dirty condenser is by far the most common problem. When they get dirty you can't reject the heat or subcool the liquid refrigerant, and it simply will not work. Given the age, a dirty condenser is a likely suspect, and the first thing to rule out.

Post Your Comment
5/11/15 @ 6:29 PM
thecook
thecook
USER since 5/15/14
MOST OF THOSE "OLDER" UNITS HAD TWO THERMOSTATS. MAKE SURE THE THERMOSTAT FOR THE FREEZER COMPARTMENT IS STILL SET PROPERLY. IF THE THERMOSTAT APPEARS TO BE SET OK....SUGGEST YOU REPLACE IT. SHOULD BE ABLE TO LOCATE THE PART ON LINE. Worried

Post Your Comment