refreezing slightly unthawed meat?

11/24/15 @ 10:01 PM
ORIGINAL POST
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10
Cleaned up a couple ducks this evening, went to throw them in the freezer and noticed it wasn't very cold. Yup, freezer is down. Caught it early enough that everything on the shelves is still froze. But the items on the door and front of shelves has thawed some. I can push my fingers into it, but still froze in the middle. I have some duck and chicken breasts, bacon, tuna steaks, venison and beef. Is it possible to refreeze somethings or not? Maybe the red meat? Don't know if I would trust the chicken and tuna? If nothing, oh well, so much for turkey on thanksgiving. Really appreciate any info. Thx
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts
11/28/15 @ 6:45 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
I use a food saver while I don't think they are top of the line I do like it for price point. they work very well for what u pay for them and I have never had a seal fail at some point. Vac pac is the only way to go!

Post Your Comment
11/25/15 @ 11:03 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
ditto chitown's comments on Foodsaver

Post Your Comment
11/25/15 @ 10:48 PM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
MEMBER since 3/4/06
Just a brief comment about the vacuum sealers. I've had 3 of them over the past twenty yrs and I swear by them. It was the best investment I've ever made as far as saving money in the long run by not throwing food away due to freezer burn. The "Food saver " brand by far is the most superior brand for getting that "commercial type vacuum seal" in your home. People like plastic wrap and if that works for you so be it. However I bet I have saved thousands of dollars over the yrs that I have used this product by not throwing away any frozen product. From meat,poultry,fish and veggies. Everything tastes as good 2-3 yrs later as if it was the first day that I bought the food. Wink Smile

Post Your Comment
11/25/15 @ 4:36 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
BT - Funny stuff, thanks for the chuckle...

I agree, don't think you'll have any problems. Good deal that you caught it - that could have turned into a stinky mess!

Post Your Comment
11/25/15 @ 10:37 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Same here, although I defrost just before I pick up the first deer of the year from the meat market. Usually my "game freezer" is getting low about then and I can move the stuff to the other freezer for a while. It is a good practice. I had some refrigerator issues in Florida this fall. The tech said that cleaning out the dust and dirt on the condenser and fan is really important. I watched him pull the unit out and thoroughly vacume what he could and then take a brush and clean the dust off the coils. I planned to do that on my stuff up here but haven't had time yet. It will be a good chore to do between hunting and first ice. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
11/25/15 @ 10:19 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
as long as it defrosted in the fridge, or in your case the freezer... essentially in a cold environment, refreezing s/b OK, if left out on the counter , don't refreeze

if you freeze food in a no frost freezer, that is where you lose moisture... the no frost feature cause moisture to be removed from the freezer, and eventually the items inside... for example, if you have ice cube trays that have been in there for an extended period of time, notice how the cubes shrink? That because of the no frost

best for long term storage is a freezer that isn't frost free... yea, you will have to defrost the whole thing once a year or so... I do this in the winter, put frozen goods in coolers, and set them outside in the snow... then let the freeze defrost/drain

makes a big difference

Post Your Comment
11/25/15 @ 10:16 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Freeze it again. You will be fine. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
11/25/15 @ 7:48 AM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11
BT-

Basically yes. "Slightly unthawed" would be somewhere between unthawed and thawed. Re-unthawing would be unthawing slightly unthawed meat. Big Smile

Post Your Comment
11/25/15 @ 7:39 AM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11
Regarding vacuum sealers-

I personally prefer plastic wrap over vacuum sealers for meat. Tightly wrapping with plastic wrap will keep air off the meat no matter what. It's cheaper and does (IMO) work much better. Vacuum bags frequently lose the seal at some point in my experience and ruin whatever is inside. Plastic wrap just stays where it was when it started. I'm sure there are some commercial grade air suckers that work great. But plastic wrap is way cheaper and still has 100% chance of keeping air off meat from day one. I don't like to keep any meat frozen very long but I have thawed meat over 1 year old that was wrapped in plastic and was still like it was before I froze it.

For those of you that continue to use the vacuum sealer, if the vacuum held, break the vacuum (cut the bag) before thawing so that the vacuum doesn't suck the moisture out of whatever is inside.

Post Your Comment
11/25/15 @ 7:23 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I had to think long and hard about that one but I think I have it nailed down. Re-unthawed would be twice frozen?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts