Random Thoughts

3/23/17 @ 8:08 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

I miss the old thread...

My random thought for the day?

While driving to Oconomowoc this evening I noticed a dead deer on the side of the road with a big ole' orange X painted on it's side. 

What in the world is that for?  Are they trying to keep track of what deer has been reported dead (for disposal purposes?)  If so, wouldn't it just be easier for the guy to throw the dead deer in the back of the county vehicle rather than painting it's side with an orange X?

Edited on 3/23/17 8:10 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 41 to 50 of 939 Posts
4/10/18 @ 10:26 PM
IceManKimi
IceManKimi
USER since 7/20/07

I live about 7 miles southeast of Truax Field. When the wind is out of the south, the F-16s take off over my part of the city. I'm like a little kid when I see them. 

Here's a great video (2 different views) from inside the cockpit of one of Madison's F-16s. And in a few years the F-35's will be here. I'll miss the Fighting Falcons!

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 9:46 PM
rikj
rikj
USER since 7/29/01

The jets in Oconto/Forest/Langlede county were an everyday occurrence 70's-80's 90's. The locals(my family) called them the "Berrypicker". They flew from K. I. Sawyer base in the UP. The story was they were flying under the radar for some reason? I had one fly over just as I left my place in Forest county pulling a boat, I thought the boat trailer lost a wheel.........I almost Big_Shaned myself. 

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 9:24 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05

Nice random thoughts on the jets. Long time ago, had to be late 70's. Minding our own business swimming the Pine River in the middle of nowhere, Florence County. Two fighter jets came over at treetop level and really moving ZOOM gone, the sound came a few seconds later. We thought it was the coolest thing.

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 9:20 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

I’ve had a couple of those experiences myself, including one with the Blue Angles when they used to come to La Crosse.  Totally thrilling and awesome!

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 8:55 PM
PSE
PSE
MEMBER since 11/25/05

my first season of minor league baseball was in Great Falls, Montana where Malmstrom Air Force Base is located. B 52's used to fly by the field during games. The first time I saw one I was stunned by the size. They looked to be moving in slow motion when coming in to land.

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 8:49 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
USER since 12/9/08

Awesome pics Iceman!

In the early '90's I worked with a guy that acquired a dummy bomb off of the hardwood range (that's at least where he said he got it). He had it partially buried in his front yard (with the grass mounded up), like it was dropped there from a plane.

Back in the mid '80s I was at a flowage east of Tomahawk on a water sampling excercise with the DNR (school activity).  2 F-4s came screaming by us low (few hundred feet off the ground) and there was no sound when we saw them.  You know what came next. 

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 8:41 PM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

I had a B2 come low over me while mule deer hunting in Montana . Saw it coming but it sure shook the area . 

Warthogs used to fly over my place in central Wisconsin  . All of a sudden the garage door would go up and down . Had to un plug opener when I would leave  or cousins would call .

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 8:18 PM
LUV2HNT
LUV2HNT
USER since 11/3/03

I remeber in 1980 Anigo area and I was alone. It was gun season and a fighter jet came over me at treetop height. I can't believe i didn't crap my pants, but I did hit the deck in 12" of snow. Heard it coming, there and gone, that quick. I will never ever forget that.

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 8:01 PM
jawjerker
jawjerker
USER since 1/14/02

Remember 25 some year back sitting in a tree stand in Meadow Valley and hereing this distance noice, seconds later a damn jet pastest about 500' overhead going to the bombing range in Finley. Scared the crap

out of me  but was very cool at the same time

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 7:51 PM
IceManKimi
IceManKimi
USER since 7/20/07

The SOUND OF POWER!!!

Madison's F-16's taking off right now (7:45PM) for training up at the Hardwood Range!!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 41 to 50 of 939 Posts