Random Thoughts

3/23/17 @ 8:08 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

I miss the old thread...

My random thought for the day?

While driving to Oconomowoc this evening I noticed a dead deer on the side of the road with a big ole' orange X painted on it's side. 

What in the world is that for?  Are they trying to keep track of what deer has been reported dead (for disposal purposes?)  If so, wouldn't it just be easier for the guy to throw the dead deer in the back of the county vehicle rather than painting it's side with an orange X?

Edited on 3/23/17 8:10 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,206 Posts
TODAY @ 5:15 AM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

That is a good idea Chub, I had not thought of that..

Post Your Comment
7/22/18 @ 9:42 PM
ChubSucker
ChubSucker
USER since 9/3/17

Writing a bad review describing what happened with them on google or any other popular review site can lose a lot of business for them. 

Post Your Comment
7/22/18 @ 6:45 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Not many folks for me to tell 12 Pack, the contractor is 2,000 miles away!  

At the end of the day I guess I was just venting.  It’s a good reminder that there are some unscrupulous folks out there.  

I have a soft spot for folks in that season of life, always have - we’re all gonna be there some day...  

Just kind of irks me...

manni’s idead was funny though...

Post Your Comment
7/22/18 @ 3:42 PM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

I agree that it is wrong, immoral and will get that contractor a secured place in hell.  However, the BBB is nothing more than a marketing company.  You pay them money, they print good reviews.  You don't pay them, they print up bad reviews (if there are any).  They are not related in any way to the government or enforcement authority.

Technically no crime was likely committed either since you (your mom) did not hire the evil contractor.  The best thing you can do is tell as many people as you can about your experience so they don't hire them in the future.  I should clarify that there may be local ordinance that the contractor broke....so its worth a call like others have said...

Post Your Comment
7/22/18 @ 10:19 AM
sassy 1
sassy 1
USER since 8/25/09

After seeing clips from the view, the old saying....an empty barrel makes the most noise comes to mind 

Post Your Comment
7/20/18 @ 9:36 PM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

Agreed  , this merits a call to the sheriff if they have all the paperwork. 

My dad will be 86 next month . Ever once in a while  I do get a new story.  But if he says  I may have told you this , you know it's a rerun . Record is twice in same visit  . 

Post Your Comment
7/20/18 @ 8:56 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05

Plmlk,

Isn't there such a thing as contractor fraud? BBB is nice and this incident should be reported, but this guy should be arrested for attempting to scam your mom. Dishonesty is one thing but what you describe is a crime. He'll likely just scam the next caller, and then the next until he's found out. His written estimate and the real repair invoice should both be sent to BBB and the local sheriff. Even at $285 to replace a $15 part is pretty steep I thought. But then it's mark-up on the part, man hours, and travel, he's got to make money.

edit; The real question is how many old folks has this guy scammed like this already and got away with it?

Edited on 7/20/18 8:59 PM
Post Your Comment
7/20/18 @ 8:43 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

I’ll agree with something else.  The Onion is funny stuff.  I don’t care who you are...

Post Your Comment
7/20/18 @ 8:28 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

I didn’t intend to turn this into an Alzheimer’s discussion, but comforting to know others have been through it.  

My Mom told my son last week that she loves her nephew - really a tough deal.  You see the changes, but you can’t disagree, because it really upsets them.  

For me, I just change the subject.  My Mom has no recollection of recent things, but she does recall things from 30 years ago.  

I just tell her how much I love her, and that things will be ok.  She still remembers me, but frequently will ask me why I don’t call her.  I tell her that we speak daily, but she simply doesn't recall - and that’s tough.  

Not really sure what’s next - just taking it day by day.   At the end of the day, she knows I love her-and I guess that’s all I can ask for. 

I’m trying to get her into a day program -  but it is just so darn hard when she lives so far away. 

Post Your Comment
7/20/18 @ 8:24 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
USER since 12/9/08

Plmlk,

My mom is 75 also.  Prayers for your mom.

Years ago, I had a similar ordeal with air conditioning at my first home.  Called in a tech and he stated I needed an completely new unit.  Our house was just 6 years old at the time and I questioned him to death.....he was adamant it needed to be replaced.  So I called another HVAC company and explained the situation and had them look at it.  Turned out to be a simple fix for $150.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,206 Posts