Railroad tresspass bill AB876

2/14/16 @ 9:41 AM
ORIGINAL POST
redhook
redhook
USER since 12/25/09
This bill was heard by the Judicial and safety committee held in Madison on 2/11/16 and passed by a 7/5 vote moving it to the senate, this bill has state wide ramifications for all forms of recreation in the state that requires one to directly cross the RR property to access hundreds of public properties that would otherwise be landlocked. Take the time and have everyone of voting age call your state senators and assembly representatives as well as the governors office and ask them to support this bill that restores your constitutional right to access these properties.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
2/15/16 @ 10:25 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
The same happened here in Colorado a couple years ago. The railroad now posts and enforces the trespass laws here. Now given some yahoos would actually run trough tunnels up here in the mountains to get access to remote stream areas. What is cool is some of the small RR's (sight seeing) will let up buy a pass and ride the RR and drop and pick you up where you want.

Post Your Comment
2/14/16 @ 6:13 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15
Now, in fairness, there is still public access to the lands. It's just severly restricted to a few designated crossings, making it inaccessible to the vast majority.

Post Your Comment
2/14/16 @ 6:07 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15
As far as the original trespassing law, the RR's are about as power as an industry gets. They don't want thenbad publicity of careless people getting killed. As far as this new legislation, I think the state legislature figured out its an election year and this could buy some votes.

Post Your Comment
2/14/16 @ 6:02 PM
jr8368
jr8368
USER since 2/5/16
what forces allowed this situation to develop

Post Your Comment
2/14/16 @ 5:14 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15
It's been a big deal here along the Mississippi River for a while now. The no trespassing law had been on the books forever. It just wasn't enforced. Then, with the increase in RR traffic from oil, they decided to start enforcing it. Fishermen, duck hunters, trappers, etc, are all p-o'ed.

Post Your Comment
2/14/16 @ 5:06 PM
amaranthlost
amaranthlost
USER since 5/31/10
One of the comments raised by the opposition was that if this was such an issue, why did it take so long for people to speak out against it. The reason is that is was passed quietly and no one really knew until they started enforcing it and the papers picked it up and ran with it. Now sportsmen are being cutoff from (formerly) legal access points. Just because they haven't been issuing citations doesn't mean they won't. As was stated in another article, there are dozens of access points off the highway that were installed by state and local government that are now unusable. Hopefully this bill passes into law and full access to the river is restored for everyone.

Post Your Comment
2/14/16 @ 4:13 PM
percheye1
percheye1
USER since 6/24/01
Thanks for posting. I was wondering what the result was. Yes I agree ignorance or apathy is bliss and that is fine until they start enforcing things like it sounds like they did this year, This is so wrong and needs to be changed for the sportsmen again.

Post Your Comment
2/14/16 @ 10:53 AM
jr8368
jr8368
USER since 2/5/16
Shows that ignorance is bliss, I had no idea this was a problem and just crossed when I needed to no big deal for me.

Post Your Comment