Radon

3/9/16 @ 9:31 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
Anyone deal with Radon Mitigation? I am in the process of building a new home, it is above my existing home. Granted it is a new construction and just recently closed up. Based on the initial levels that I have read, the Radon is more than 4 times the EPA recommended levels of 4 pCi/L ... Right now reading 22 pCi/L ! My existing home had slightly elevated levels and required an easy fix. It is below 2 pCi/L. This one, probably not. Looks like it will require a Class A mitigation system that will require a pressure hole in the concrete floor, dirt removal, and piping with an exhaust fan to the external to the house. Which the Guarantee will bring it down below 2 pCi/L. Luckily I am looking at it during construction so it should be an easier fix. Just courious if Radon levels can appear much higher right after or during construction, or if they are not likely to change and I should just do the mitigation and be done with it?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 22 Posts
1/1/17 @ 12:23 AM
crawdaddy
crawdaddy
USER since 7/11/01

If you truly analyze the data, it is nowhere near the danger it is claimed to be.   It is mostly a ruse and another DDT like over blown health risk.

Post Your Comment
12/31/16 @ 6:14 PM
Woods-N-Water
Woods-N-Water
USER since 9/17/16

10 years ago I bought my previous house and laughed off the chance to do a radon test after studying up on it.  Fast forward 8 years and I was forced to install a system when the new buyers were convinced by the realtor to get it tested and it barely failed.  Of course that system install was on my dime.  Hindsight says I should have had it tested when I originally bought and forced the previous owners to pay the install price.  Only needed to learn the lesson once.  The next house I had tested and forced the previous owners to pay for the install.  It's a money maker for sure but it's just the way it is.  Might as well do it because there is a high likelihood you will be forced to eventually.

Post Your Comment
12/31/16 @ 4:37 PM
jr8368
jr8368
USER since 2/5/16
Post Your Comment
12/31/16 @ 4:34 PM
jr8368
jr8368
USER since 2/5/16

radon - second most common cause of lung cancer

Edited on 12/31/16 4:36 PM
Post Your Comment
12/31/16 @ 3:01 PM
mooselegs
mooselegs
USER since 5/27/03

You're correct Dave, many of the home buyer are starting to request that the home is tested for radon. My daughter and her husband recently purchased a home in the Germantown, WI. area that had elevated radon; they demanded the mitigation system be installed before closing the deal. It's not a law yet, but it may very well soon become one.

Post Your Comment
12/31/16 @ 12:59 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

Mooselegs.. probably only a matter of time before local laws and regulations are passed requiring it to be done before you can sell, part of a home inspection. Some inspectors already are doing the test and make it an issue and condition for sale. Colorado makes a big deal out of it proof or not.

Post Your Comment
12/31/16 @ 12:53 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

No plans at this time BA

Edited on 12/31/16 12:59 PM
Post Your Comment
12/31/16 @ 12:41 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

So Dave(g)

would you retire early...you have must be close to 40 years

with Rockwell

Post Your Comment
12/31/16 @ 12:33 PM
mooselegs
mooselegs
USER since 5/27/03

I just noticed this thread. I recently tested the radon level in my house and it's 16.4 pCi/L.  Local contractor quoted quoted $850 - $950.00 for a mitigation system. Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Spoke with a neighbor about the radon thing and he said it's a bunch of hyped up talk and there is no basis for concern.....not sure what to think about that........ 

Post Your Comment
12/31/16 @ 12:27 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

Probably won't be done until late Spring.. We have had a couple very good offers to sell it and may never move into it. I have a feeling my wife wants to come back to Wisconsin. The builder we used is a friend, we are not in any hurry. He has other projects as well.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 22 Posts