O' shizzle! can't ignore the real dizzle. RAP MUSIC!

2/19/16 @ 9:23 AM
ORIGINAL POST
breal
breal
USER since 10/12/10
Guess we hit the bottom of the barrel, struggling to come up with a decent tread. Also I think Killroy suggested it. Let's talk RAP music and all the great artists. From past to present like, N.W.A, Run DMC, to Lil Wayne, Drake,...ahhh, kind of stuck. That's about all I know. Wait! We can also talk about how some rappers became great actors like Ice T. lol.. Alright! Another great tread. Woohoo! Bring on the plethora of more useless information. Dull
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 20 Posts
3/14/16 @ 11:10 AM
JethroBodine
JethroBodine
USER since 12/21/01
Eh, we're just old and music has moved on, same as it does every generation.

Do I like rap? No.

I do recognize that the rock music I listened to was considered vulgar, crotch grabbing, demeaning to women, inciting violence, etc- all the stuff they say about rap today.

Remember Judas Priest on trial?

Tipper Gore and parental advisorys?

If you're a little older Elvis being shown from thee waist up on tv?

Nothing has changed, just the style of the pop music. (which was never thee works of Shakespeare- 90% of it is "she done him right/done him wrong")

Our kids will think their kids music is crap too, guaranteed.

Post Your Comment
3/7/16 @ 7:41 PM
stuckinMO
stuckinMO
USER since 7/24/03
Good music is like candy...first thing you do is throw away the "rapper"

Post Your Comment
3/7/16 @ 3:46 PM
crappieguy
crappieguy
USER since 2/11/02
coach,

I agree with you 100%, violence, crotch grabbing, booty shaking, that's the main content of rap. Nothing but garbage.

Post Your Comment
3/6/16 @ 12:46 PM
swamp people
swamp people
USER since 5/14/12
so when is kilroy gonna punch breal in the face

Post Your Comment
3/6/16 @ 12:07 PM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
Another reason why I can't embrace rap: Atlanta rapper shot dead outside studio

Seems to me that that sort of result goes hand-in-hand with embracing the "Thug Life".

And I don't consider myself a prude, by any means, but add the "gangsta" mentality that seems part and parcel of many, if not most, rap albums (which have to be "Explicit Content" labeled), I just can't get with the whole culture.

Back when I came of age in the late '60's-to-early-'70's, there was no shortage of music that promoted cultural revolution and such, but the motivation behind it was to promote general peace and harmony, whereas today's rap / hip-hop seems to simply promote self-serving hedonism and debauchery.

What might I be missing here?

Post Your Comment
2/23/16 @ 5:15 PM
zeplure
zeplure
MEMBER since 2/11/02
Best rap ever! Go Ninja Go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx7dt0Wscpc

Post Your Comment
2/23/16 @ 2:11 PM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
I'm with fishingmaster, for me, it's not about hating rap / hip-hop just because it's foriegn to me, it's just that I can't get past the misogynistic content of much, (if not most) of rap / hip-hop music (and, I presume, the associated culture).

In fact, I've really tried to listen to it and better understand what it's about, but the pervasive anger and what seems to be malicious content proves to be too much for my sensibilities. I don't want to be like my old man (a product of the Great Depression and WWII USMC), who, upon hearing "Paint it Black" back in '66, ridiculed it as sounding like "tribal chant garbage", presumably as a function of his affinity for '40's era Big Band music.

But in the end, now that I'm in my mid-60's, it may be a case of a generation gap being too wide to cross, I dunno.

I do kinda like the hook in Jump Around, though, it's pretty catchy!

Post Your Comment
2/23/16 @ 10:03 AM
fishingmaster1997
fishingmaster1997
USER since 4/18/12
I just don't like the lyrical content. Most rap promotes violence, rape, drugs, and is just plain disgusting. However I do like hick hop which is rap style music with lyrics I can relate to. One of my favorite hick hop songs is backroads life by Charley Farley. This is the chorus- "Sun set in the background never gets old. Got some dirt on my boots, mud tires on the road. And we all talk a lot, yes sir, no ma'am. Seal the deal with a handshake and living off the land. Party on the tailgate, drinking ice cold beer. Plowing all day, hard work is in my soul. And we all pray at night that we will get by. Just another story of a back road life"

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q8jGGIYtTqw/

Post Your Comment
2/23/16 @ 9:39 AM
4 reel
4 reel
USER since 12/9/10
".."just words that rhyme with a fast beat" ... ain't all there is to something being called music, by most." Never said that's all there is to rap music. just my explanation on what I think, rap is. Never said rap don't have meaning to it, a artists soul in it, not real or from the heart. I'm wondering why people think rap is so bad? But yet I'm sure you and others like some song or band that has some rap in it. And that's ok? And how did you come up with the auctioneer thing?? Really? Nice addition to your argument. NOT! As far as the 80's, yeah the music wasn't that great either. Most music was around before and after the 80's. The 80's music just kind of,was here then gone. Other than the few that continued to grasp onto it?

Post Your Comment
2/22/16 @ 4:13 PM
4 reel
4 reel
USER since 12/9/10
I'm interested... I'd like some of you to explain your dislike of rap music. Why such negativity towards a certain genre of music. Are you just to old and crotchety? Maybe you can't dance? The culture? So many bands and artists rap. What, if they do you don't like them? Like one said, Areosmith "raps" in a song, they even paired up with Run DMC for "walk this way". How about, Florida Georgia line? Kid Rock, I know most of you have jammed out to a Kid Rock song. Kid Rock had to rap his way to the top before he slowed down. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Taylor swift, Big and Rich, The transplants, and so on? What makes these artists different? How can you say "rap" is so horrible? Isn't it just words that rhyme with a fast beat? Or what's your definition of rap music? Myself, I like Atmosphere, Gym class hero's, lil dicky, Snoop, 50.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 20 Posts