Nuisance Beaver Dam Removal

9/18/15 @ 7:55 AM
ORIGINAL POST
paddler1
paddler1
MEMBER since 12/10/14
Does any one know what the laws are pertaining to Beaver dams? One is restricting the incoming flow to a lake and has resulted in a low water level. I know the Beavers can rebuild them virtually overnight, and ideally the best solution would be to remove the Beavers. Any thoughts?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
9/23/15 @ 4:45 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Here is a method we used before and it works.

As far down as you can work, pound a pipe through from one side to the other. A 4 inch pipe is ideal but as thick as a dam is you may need to use several 1-2 inch pipes. The water will flow through the pipes and the beavers will not figure out a solution.

Eventually (weeks or months) the pipe may clog with debris on the upstream side so be prepared to wade or swim in to unplug the pipe. For this reason mark the locations of the pipes.

Post Your Comment
9/20/15 @ 11:29 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
USER since 3/8/04
Unless you trap or kill every last one of them, they will just rebuild and drive you nuts. Sometimes it is just better to live and let live. I know a guy who had a beaver dam blown up by some good ol boys and forgot how much water was actually behind the dam and ended up wiping out a lot of other peoples property down stream. Lets just say it it not end well for him legally.

Post Your Comment
9/18/15 @ 1:39 PM
swamp people
swamp people
USER since 5/14/12
If it is a sanctioned d.n.r. lake they may remove it, if its private dynamite works well and spreads everything out nicely.

Post Your Comment
9/18/15 @ 11:39 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
220 connabears and 30 lbs of tannerite say good bye to mr beaver

Post Your Comment
9/18/15 @ 11:13 AM
9/18/15 @ 11:01 AM
codyk
codyk
USER since 4/28/02
Hire a nuisance trapper. Probably the easiest way for you to get rid of them. Send me a message with your location and contact info, I may be able to help you find a trapper.

Post Your Comment
9/18/15 @ 10:46 AM
Route66
Route66
USER since 6/22/01
I had a neighbor wgo fought thebeaver's for a long time and it was no contest. Sweating

Post Your Comment
9/18/15 @ 9:22 AM
Twister
Twister
USER since 6/15/01
Your best bet would be to contact the DNR and see what their thoughts are. I am not sure but I think messing with a beaver dam is illegal.

Post Your Comment