No News is Good News With...

6/22/15 @ 12:25 PM
ORIGINAL POST
drptine
drptine
USER since 6/6/07
I can't believe they haven't caught those two escaped convicts yet. Last I heard they were keying in on a area not far from Clinton correctional facility. Hope they catch them soon.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 181 Posts
TODAY @ 4:02 PM
shadling1
shadling1
USER since 1/17/12

I was on our HS golf team for 2 years, wasn't great, wasn't terrible. I think with golf you either stick with it or don't. I honestly don't mind the game, but once I got busy in the game of life wasting time off of work on a decent day outside on the golf course was about the biggest waste of time I could think of. Outside of mowing the lawn of course.....maybe when I retire I'll take it up again.

On a side not through the years when I got roped into a work golf outing that was especially horrendous. Nothing worse then having to spend time with co-workers outside of work. Worst of all I always seemed to get stuck in a foursome with some of the biggest D-bags in my workplace.

Edited on 7/15/18 4:08 PM
Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 3:23 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

If you’re going to get your kids into something, you might as well get them into something that they can enjoy the rest of their life.  Golf and trap shooting come to mind.  

Think about the effort some kids put into soccer, only to never play the game again after highschool.  

Teach them to golf, and they’ll still be doing it in their 70’s.  

My kids loved trap league, and I enjoyed going to their competitions.  

Nothing against those who enjoy soccer, just not in that camp!  

Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 2:56 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

I don’t know anyone, I mean anyone who likes soccer. Does anyone on this site actually like it? Amazing.

Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 2:29 PM
Mr.Seaguar
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

CDS wrote a long post. Probably a huge soccer fan. 

Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 1:29 PM
shadling1
shadling1
USER since 1/17/12
The youth league I was in went up to 15. But yeah it was cheap for them I'm sure, this was 25 years ago and soccer wasn't big in rural WI. Our uniforms were just a team t-shirt and your own shorts and shinguards and such. The refs were always local guys who didnt get paid a ton. Then the field and that was about it. Don't think our travel was ever more than a half hour. Lots of times we would go to a place with multiple fields and play 2 games/teams. These days I'm sure the schools spend plenty. My old HS now has a soccer teams and hockey. Never had any of that when I was there.

Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 12:59 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05

And coaches, referees, travel, sometimes uniforms, and more. It's just an added sport. Where I went to school we certainly didn't have Hockey. Now many schools sponsor that also. Even girls basketball, softball didn't exist in the 70's. 

Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 12:59 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 12:50 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

low dollar investment for kiddie soccer may have something to do with it... need field and ball and net

Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 12:44 PM
shadling1
shadling1
USER since 1/17/12
We never had school sponsored soccer when I was growing up like they do now. We did have a youth soccer league though. I played every year. I honestly loved playing the game. For whatever reason though I have NEVER been interested in watching it at any level. 

Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 12:38 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

I do find it interesting that soccer is the most popular youth team sport in the US, yet when the kids get older, they lose interest in the professional version of soccer.

I think part of that is we often saturate and then overload kids with sports and a particular sport at a young age.  Everybody wants their kid to be the next Vince Beigel or Bronson Koenig.  We lose sight of the big picture and forget that a 10 y/o has limits that are different from our dreams.

I’m painting with a broad brush to be sure.  I definitely believe this is a small minority of parents.  But I believe their numbers are growing and they tend to be vocal.

Just my 2€

Edit - when I say Beigel and Koenig, I’m thinking about scholarships and notoriety not specific sports

Edited on 7/15/18 12:40 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 181 Posts