New driveway

1/23/16 @ 9:19 PM
ORIGINAL POST
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Concrete is expensive and is used only for smaller driveways as affordable. Blacktop will last several decades but every three yrs it must be sealcoated. I dont have a concrete apron but maybe they look nicer and are more durable.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
1/25/16 @ 8:31 AM
Musky99
Musky99
USER since 8/8/11
First house we owned had an asphalt driveway and the current one has concrete.

I would go back to asphalt.

One nice thing about asphalt is how easily the snow melts on a sunny day.

Concrete is hard but brittle. Cracks are common. Your taxes will go up with concrete since it is supposed to be permanent.

The other big issue I have with concrete is what has happened in my subdivision. Our subdivision is about 10 years old and most homes are less than that. Most have concrete and MOST have problems.

There several different contractors that installed the driveways (homeowners chose who they wanted.) When the driveways started having problems (like cracks) the contractors all blamed the suppliers of the concrete and would not warranty the driveway!!! Several of the homeowners sued and ended up in court.

In my opinion the concrete contractors could careless and were a not willing to do anything.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/waukesha/117911179.html

Ask your contractor who is responsible if the mix is bad? And most importantly who will be responsible for the labor of removing the old and reinstalling!!!

They buy the product, but you are screwed if what they bought is bad!

Post Your Comment
1/24/16 @ 1:24 PM
jawjerker
jawjerker
USER since 1/14/02
My guess is a concrete apron is put down in front of the garage is because over years of parking on it black top will leave ruts where parked on, you can see where my trucks have parked for the last 25+ years. Concrete will not give.

Like my friend in the business told me years ago about concrete, it will get hard and it will crack

Post Your Comment
1/24/16 @ 11:04 AM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03
The biggest benefit of concrete is it is harder than asphalt. The only reason I can see that concrete aprons are in front of garages is that 1. This is one part of the driveway where you literally drive over the exact same spot, over and over and 2. More likely explanation is the concrete apron was done at time of construction for transition and water drainage reasons. I don't think it would be necessary if you are starting from scratch. Any rebuttable asphalt contractor will give you an honest assessment if it is required.

For the driveway itself, there are several reasons why I would go with asphalt. 1. It's cheaper. 2. If maintained, it is very durable. 3. Most importantly, it's repairable. We are in WI. Asphalt or concrete, it WILL crack at some point. Asphalt cracks are repairable. Concrete cracks are not. If it heaves, you are really up a creek. I would think oil prices have helped drive asphalt prices down more than concrete, further widening the cost gap.

Whichever you go with, a good gravel base is critical. Get lots of quotes and go with whoever gives you the most comfort. And don't forget to negotiate! The contractor I went with gave the most impressive and comprehensive bid. Plus, they where the cheapest. I still got an additional $250 off simply by asking if they could do any better.

Post Your Comment