Minnesota Vikings

9/27/02 @ 4:30 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Troutnut
Troutnut
USER since 1/7/02
Looks like a pretty dismal year for the Vikes this year. Thought 5-11 was reachable, now I am starting to doubt that.

Showing Mr. Moss the door would be the first step towards bringing back some team unity I think. I am also disturbed at Tice's lack of discipline towards Moss.

What do you think Viking fans? Should Moss stay or go?

Troutnut

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 9,818 Posts
9/12/17 @ 1:48 PM
Route66
Route66
USER since 6/22/01

3 Rookies starting, 3 walk on's  make team. Rookie center made block 20 yards downfield. It adds up to big improvement.

Post Your Comment
9/11/17 @ 10:12 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06

If the Steelers offense comes out flat like in the game against the Stains, then the Vike's will win. Bradford was pin-point accurate. Being a Steelers fan I certainly hope they get things gelled up for this game. Being at home, they have a huge advantage statistically speaking. Vike's defense is solid too.

Post Your Comment
9/11/17 @ 10:00 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

It was a good game, a fun game to be sure.  But like you said, the sun's barely over the horizon on this season......

Post Your Comment
9/11/17 @ 9:45 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02

Surprised the Vikings came out and played so well. Really dominated the game. I figured Cook would be something special. The guy can run. Bradford played his best game yet in Purple. His other game he shone was against GB last year if I recall. 

Cook and Watt (Pitt) are two rookies to watch this year. Both looking fantastic so far, but it's early.

Post Your Comment
1/3/17 @ 2:17 PM
Route66
Route66
USER since 6/22/01

Darius Wright:  Good receiver but was not used much this year. One reason I know of was early in the season he stopped running a route and the ball sailed right thru where he should have been. For a TD yet. TV crew mentioned and showed it on replay. In the dog house. Forever?

Post Your Comment
1/3/17 @ 9:24 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03

Bradford is under contract for next year.  That's why he was the perfect QB to trade for....if Teddy's injury will be a 2 year thing.....

I'd trade you a first and fourth for Rhodes today if I were the GM of the Packers.  But, the contract is an issue.  He either has to sign a new one with the team that trades for him, or sign a long term deal with Minnesota then get dealt.  

There is going to be a good market for Munnerlyn.

Post Your Comment
1/2/17 @ 7:25 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02

Salary cap space is kind of complicated until guys are cut, traded, etc...I think the Vikings are doing ok. Not great. Not horrible. Peterson is definitely gone due to the 18 million. I don't think the Vikings lose any of that money if they let him go. Offensive line is critical. Need help. But, so many keys guys were out this year, just getting these guys back will help. But, still, need a high pick there (2nd or 3rd round) and a free agent or trade.  Need depth and one more upgrade on the starting front. The Bradford trade, while many say was a disaster, I completely disagree. They wanted to win this year. They started 5-0. Losing a first round pick hurts a lot....but good for the Vikings for being aggressive and trying to win now. Bradford played well, especially without much time at all to throw. He might be the guy going forward, who knows about Bridgewater? Many teams make high risk/high rewards moves each year, yet only one comes away with the title, gotta try to go for it once in a while. This year had potential written all over it, but the offensive line injuries were just too much to overcome. Defense is still solid. Just not sure why guys like Patterson, Wright, and Treadwell don't get more catches. 

Post Your Comment
12/30/16 @ 11:50 PM
Eyetest
Eyetest
MEMBER since 7/12/01

Thielen to Green Bay for a 1st round pick. 

Post Your Comment
12/30/16 @ 10:57 PM
drewster
drewster
USER since 7/6/09

In my view, Peterson is gone - permanently.  I believe the way they played against Indy was in part because Peterson was granted his starting spot back immediately when he returned to practice even for only a couple of days.  Bridges are burnt.

I think they have to sign Bradford.  They may wait until the last minute to see how Teddy is coming, but they will have to keep Bradford as the only known entity.

Kalil should be offered a very modest one-year deal at best, to see if he can be healthy again.

Munnerlyn, Asiata, and Patterson are all affordable keepers.  Smith and Long are done.  I would send Newman packing after the mutiny - can't allow that.

Here's my off-season bombshell - trade Rhodes for a 1 and a 3 (or 4) in next year's draft.  He had a part in the mutiny, as well, and he will never garner this much trade value again.  Waynes, Munnerlyn, and Alexander would be your best returning CB's and I would try to sign a middle of the road free agent.

The o-line is still a major problem because they need starters and depth.  Kerin, Easton, Berger, Fusco, Sirles, and Boone are the keepers.  They will need to find a starting LT who actually belongs in the NFL.  Draft and FA will be necessary.

Other names I would think they will jettison are Chad Greenway (age), Sharif Floyd (injuries, attitude), and Jarius Wright (not sure why - I always thought he was a baller). 

Post Your Comment
12/28/16 @ 10:28 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03

Kindda tough to figure out, but Minnesota is in a tight salary cap space.

Vikings Salary Cap "space"

As in they are over by $108k.

With the increasing cap and free agents, Spotrac projects them at $25.8M under the cap next year.  They won't need to reserve as much cash as other teams for the draft because they do not have a first round pick.

Here's where it gets interesting.  Peterson and Bradford.

Peterson has an $18M cap hit next year.  I don't see any "dead" money associated with it.  If released, they free up 18M.

Bradford has a $17M cap hit next year...again with no "dead" money associated with it.  If released, they free up another $17M.

Notable free agents...  Matt Kalil, LT.  Munnerlyn, CB.  Smith, RT.  Newman, CB.  Patterson, WR.  Long, LT.  Asiata, RB. 

I would think that Peterson is released.  And maybe brought back at $5M or so, if they market bears that contract for him.  With the rest of the money, they can retain whoever they want...but possibly not be too active in free agency.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 9,818 Posts