Millennials suck

2/23/16 @ 11:37 AM
ORIGINAL POST
fishingmaster1997
fishingmaster1997
USER since 4/18/12
Before I start my rant, let me say that I am a millennial myself. I was born in '97. But I find myself constantly looking at my peers with complete disgust. My generation wants everything, but refuses to the put the work in to earn it. They feel entitled to every damn thing they see. They complain that college is too expensive and it should be "free" because they can't afford it, yet they spend all their money on going out to eat, expensive clothes, and other luxury items they waste their money on. They have no work ethic, and they think they deserve a livable wage for working at a god damn McDonald's!! They have no respect for their elders, they have no compassion for others. They have no appreciation for the men overseas dying defending their right to complain about how war is wrong. They walk around like the world owes them something and if they don't get their way they whine like a baby. They get over offended over every little thing, and they claim to be accepting of others but the second you voice an opinion thats not theirs they freak out. They have absolutely no understanding about the economy, yet they think they know the answers to everything. Their priority is partying and having fun, when at the age of 18 you should grow the hell up and get a job. Don't get me wrong, I know millennials that are hard workers, respect their elders, and are good people. But the vast majority of them are just scum!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 51 to 60 of 89 Posts
2/24/16 @ 2:29 PM
BIGG400
BIGG400
USER since 12/23/12
The company I work for has actually been aggressive in getting rid of the Baby Boomers. Two years of under-performance was the reason for the last one that got fired. Really? Not many of them left.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 2:24 PM
big ken
big ken
USER since 6/3/06
I think Ulbian is right on target.

A few years ago I went to conference where the speaker asked some questions of the audience. similar to what are being stated here along the lines of work ethic, being self centered, being entitled...

Was it her fathers generation (who was on the stage)and a baby boomer, her generation- gen x or millennials. We all answered and then she spoke on each and the answer was all preceding generations had similar negative views of the next generations. Her research did show baby boomers, with their protests, long hair, and life styles received some of the harshest criticism from their parents generation.

In a very small sampling of having coached in the last few years at a d-3 basketball program and have worked in a mission driven field for 30 plus years. I have been very impressed by millennials I have come in contact with. They have been hard working, willing to do the extra work to excel and had a real understanding of the bigger picture and how they fit it. I do have to explain more, but that is not a challenge to authority, but how does this all work together. Their commitment was to the teams and the work we are doing.

On final note is that many of these kids have seen their parents, relative or neighbors jobs sent over seas or replaced by automation. I would think if I was their age, I might would think about the future of the company or the job I was doing as well.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 2:00 PM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03
"There's an important detail you are missing in this. Gen X has strong loyalty to themselves whereas the Baby Boomers had stronger loyalty to the company. Boomers tended to stay in the same career working for the same company. Gen Xers are more willing to switch careers and jobs because they lack that company loyalty. They will work long hours but by the time a Gen Xer retires he/she on average will have worked in many more different jobs than the typical Boomer did."--Ulbian

I agree. Could a cause of that migration in jobs/companies be due to the fact that Boomers won't easily leave the workplace?

In my circle of friends, I know many professionals that felt that they couldn't be promoted, or be given much of a pay raise until a few Boomers retired and they didn't see that happening any time soon. So, they made parallel moves to companies who had more opportunity for advancement.

Love the conversation about this.

The older I get, as a Gen Xer, the more I hope I don't have to change companies ever again.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 1:38 PM
fishingmaster1997
fishingmaster1997
USER since 4/18/12
BIGG40- you nailed it on the head with your two observations. They want the benefits of hard work, with out actually working hard.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 12:23 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15
Gen X has strong loyalty to themselves whereas the Baby Boomers had stronger loyalty to the company.

I love what you're writing, Ulbian. It ties directly to my line of work as well.

That said, I highlight the quote above because I have to think to myself..........

When a companies first loyalty is to its stock holders, where should a worker's loyalty be?

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 12:11 PM
by the finn
by the finn
USER since 9/4/01
every millennial needs to read " The Greatest Generation" by Tom Brokaw then maybe they'll get it.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 12:00 PM
BIGG400
BIGG400
USER since 12/23/12
My dad spent 42 years at his company. This was common for his generation. I've switched jobs a few times, however, this was done due to plant closings.

My dad and his friends always said that when they were working the factors cared about the working man. Its the complete opposite for me. I think that factors into the loyalty issue.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 11:47 AM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
vegas wrote:

"As a Gen Xer, that generation also doesn't leave the workplace. They tend to work longer and retire later. So the bad thing is that some of them keep Gen Xers from promotions."

There's an important detail you are missing in this. Gen X has strong loyalty to themselves whereas the Baby Boomers had stronger loyalty to the company. Boomers tended to stay in the same career working for the same company. Gen Xers are more willing to switch careers and jobs because they lack that company loyalty. They will work long hours but by the time a Gen Xer retires he/she on average will have worked in many more different jobs than the typical Boomer did.

How many of my fellow Gen Xers contributing to this thread have switched jobs and how did that sit with your parents? I was in my first job post grad school for 6 years before leaving. When I left both my mom and dad thought I was nuts. "You had a good job, I don't understand why you would leave it." It was a classic example of a generational clash. It was a good job and I could've stayed in it longer but it was also suffocating without much room for me to spread my own wings.

With the way these things are cyclical, millennials are exhibiting familiar traits of previous generations that line up with them. Their driving force is collaboration and accomplishing a good for the greater community. Gen Xers are more independent and were left to fend for themselves. We don't like group projects. Millennials embrace them wholeheartedly. This creates major dissonance when you have a workforce comprised of a combination of the two and then sprinkle in upper management who is a combination of Baby Boomes and Gen Xers.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 11:35 AM
BIGG400
BIGG400
USER since 12/23/12
My two main observations of them at work are,

1. They don't take criticism very well. When they screw up, which is quite often, they get that your picking on me attitude. Predictably, they call off work next day and eventually that gets them fired.

2. They will complain to no end about their lack of hours and money. However, if you give them the chance to go home early, they can't get out the door fast enough. We have to get back to Mom's basement and play video games.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 9:56 AM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
Thanks for the insights, Ulbian, I had no idea...

Post Your Comment
Displaying 51 to 60 of 89 Posts