General Discussion

Memorial Day - Thanks Veterans!

5/24/02 @ 7:45 AM
Baggs
Baggs
User since 6/16/01
November 21, 1864 Mrs. Bixby-

Dear Madam,

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts, that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours, to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

- A. Lincoln -

Please take time out this weekend to remember and give thanks for the veterans who have fought to protect our way of life.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 381 posts
5/29/23 @ 8:56 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01
Antler… that means a lot.  My dad still has a tough time on Memorial Day… 
5/29/23 @ 7:52 PM
antler junkie
User since 8/17/05
God bless all the Gold Star Families for the sacrifices their loved ones made.
Memorial Day - Thanks Veterans! photo by antler junkie
5/29/23 @ 11:20 AM
Kayaker 8
User since 8/28/20
As far as the title:
Thank you Veterans Groups who sponsor most of the Memorial Day Services and built the Memorial Parks!
VFW American Legion and AMVETS.

My grandchildren attended for the first time.  Grandson asked my about the 21 Gun Salute.  If asked here is a good reference.
https://history.army.mil/faq/salute.html
Forgot to add:  New London HS band sounded very good.  
5/29/23 @ 10:40 AM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13
This title is misleading.  Memorial day isn't a day to honor veterans.  It's a day to remember and honor those that have fallen and made the ultimate sacrifice.   
5/29/23 @ 10:12 AM
phishin phool
phishin phool
PRO MEMBER User since 4/5/08
Deleted, after careful thinking...
5/29/23 @ 10:03 AM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
GOD BLESS THE USA and our veterans, and service members!  All gave some and some gave all.......
5/29/23 @ 9:37 AM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01
For decades I struggled to find meaning in my uncle Donald’s  ultimate sacrifice.  He was killed in Vietnam in 1968.  It seemed to be in vain, but I didn’t want to believe that.  Maybe I’m reaching or wishing to find some peace.  Maybe I’m on to something.  But, my co-worker and great friend’s oldest son recently married an absolutely delightful woman.  Her family is from Vietnam.  Without the efforts to keep the oppressive evil communist North Vietnamese from destroying the South Vietnamese at will, her family likely would have been murdered 50 years ago and she would not even exist.  They are expecting a child this fall.  All babies are special and deserve a chance to be loved.  This child though?  I will undoubtedly weep tears of joy when I hold her for the first time.  Uncle Don did NOT die in vain.  His life and sacrifice meant something.  Memorial Day is an important and meaningful national holiday.  But, growing up in a Gold Star family, I can’t help but believe it has always meant more to us.  In the late 90’s I took my grandmother on a quest to visit D.C. with the main purpose to visit The Wall.  I can still to this day hear in my head the gasp she expressed the moment she put her hand on the engraved name of her fallen son, Donald.  May he rest in peace.
5/29/23 @ 9:32 AM
fltlndr
User since 12/25/02
Thank you veterans for all you did for our country.
5/29/23 @ 9:31 AM
antler junkie
User since 8/17/05
Not just a day off work. Everyone should take time to think about all the service members who gave the ultimate sacrifice for your freedoms.
Memorial Day - Thanks Veterans! photo by antler junkie
5/29/23 @ 9:18 AM
jawjerker
jawjerker
User since 1/14/02
A huge Thank You to all of those that payed the ultimate sacrifice for their Country
5/29/23 @ 9:12 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
...giving thanks to our fallen heroes for their sacrifice and honor... and to all our vets as well for their service and honor 

5/29/23 @ 8:51 AM
wskiph
wskiph
User since 9/3/11
Best wishes ?for All veterans 
5/29/23 @ 8:50 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
Thank you veterans
5/29/23 @ 7:14 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
Thank you Men and Women who have served especially those who have died in service. 
5/29/23 @ 6:52 AM
Kayaker 8
User since 8/28/20
Don't forget too attend your local Memorial Day Service today.

New London at 1000 Taft Park.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 381 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE