Memorial Day - Thanks Veterans!

5/24/02 @ 7:45 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Baggs
Baggs
USER since 6/16/01
November 21, 1864 Mrs. Bixby-

Dear Madam,

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts, that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours, to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

- A. Lincoln -

Please take time out this weekend to remember and give thanks for the veterans who have fought to protect our way of life.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 310 Posts
5/31/16 @ 12:15 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

You make some very good points too nihsif!

Post Your Comment
5/31/16 @ 10:06 AM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08

...man, these new emoji are a little girly

X2!

Post Your Comment
5/31/16 @ 9:35 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

on the upside, at least we're talking about it... seems like many today forget it's about honoring anyone, just a day off... I guess when the schools don't teach history, or teach revisionist history, that was bound to happen

maybe this little dust-up will help

...man, these new emoji are a little girly

Post Your Comment
5/31/16 @ 9:24 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
frankly, I think most folks know the difference but don't feel like they are slighting the fallen by supporting all veterans and active duty as well, as many times as they can, especially with the ongoing BS in the middle east, where our troops are handcuffed by weak kneed rules of engagement

I can understand wanting folks to understand the true meaning of the observance, in fact, I included a link to the description of Memorial Day in my original post this year... so if people were interested, they could find out

and in truth, coach, you're not the first poster to lament the confusion...guess I shoulda laid off... everyone's entitled to a perspective I reckon

Post Your Comment
5/31/16 @ 8:57 AM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08

Yep, that was my point, Snakes.  I confess to having a little grammar/spelling beotch in me, for example, and that's OK by me, I'm just of the opinion that accuracy matters in general, whether in the case of the written word, or in the case of the fairly common mixing of Memorial Day and Veteran's Day.

So knowing that you are a military veteran, for example, I honor and respect your military service 7x24x365, but I'm not inclined to specifically call attention to it on Memorial Day.

That is, unless, you lost your life while serving in the military, and are now a zombie veteran, but I kinda doubt that's the case, lol.

Post Your Comment
5/31/16 @ 7:58 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Coach, You are correct with your description of the day. I know you know that, but just clarifying for others who don't care enough to actually find out the meaning.

Post Your Comment
5/31/16 @ 7:54 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

right back atcha... hey, that could be a bumper sticker!

Post Your Comment
5/31/16 @ 7:50 AM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08

As always, I appreciate your sarcastic snipe, boB.  It's so good to know we always have you available to chime in on nearly everything.

Post Your Comment
5/31/16 @ 7:25 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

yeah, that was real important to point out

Post Your Comment
5/30/16 @ 11:12 PM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08

While it goes without saying that we should honor and respect all those who have served in the U.S. military (and I do, of course),I think it's important to note that Memorial Day is a federal holiday in the United States for remembering the people who died while serving in the country's armed forces.

So while I respect my father for servicing in the Marine Corps in WWII, he didn't give his life in defense of our country, so I'm not inclined to specifically honor him on Memorial Day. Veterans Day is observed on Nov. 11 to honor all those who have served in the Armed Forces.

An important distinction, I think.

Edited on 5/30/16 11:15 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 310 Posts