Memorial Day - Thanks Veterans!

5/24/02 @ 7:45 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Baggs
Baggs
USER since 6/16/01
November 21, 1864 Mrs. Bixby-

Dear Madam,

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts, that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours, to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

- A. Lincoln -

Please take time out this weekend to remember and give thanks for the veterans who have fought to protect our way of life.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 336 Posts
5/28/18 @ 8:45 PM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

To any family that lost someone for the rest of us thank you 

Post Your Comment
5/28/18 @ 6:53 PM
jawjerker
jawjerker
USER since 1/14/02

Thank you for those who gave all

Post Your Comment
5/25/18 @ 1:53 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

Yes.  Thank all of you who have served our fine country.  And thank you, Dave, for bringing it back to the top.

Post Your Comment
5/25/18 @ 1:17 PM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03

That Lincoln letter gave me chills.  Much respect for our fallen.  Have a safe and happy Memorial Day.

Post Your Comment
5/25/18 @ 12:25 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

God bless our fallen veterans as we honor them !

Thanks for your service and sacrifice, that allows us to live in freedom

Edited on 5/25/18 12:26 PM
Post Your Comment
5/25/18 @ 12:16 PM
fltlndr
fltlndr
USER since 12/25/02

Just want to say thank you to all past, present and future veterans.

Edited on 5/25/18 12:28 PM
Post Your Comment
5/25/18 @ 10:16 AM
phishin phool
phishin phool
USER since 4/5/08

Eyetest, I bow my head and tip my hat to you, Sir. Thanks for those words. May many people understand them!!!

Post Your Comment
5/25/18 @ 9:50 AM
Eyetest
Eyetest
USER since 7/12/01

Memorial Day is not just another 3 day weekend. Please take time to remember those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for us. 

Post Your Comment
5/25/18 @ 9:41 AM
Jared
Jared
MEMBER since 7/22/01

For those of you who fly flags. Just a reminder:

Half staff sunrise until Noon.

Post Your Comment
5/25/18 @ 8:40 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

Good Morning..

As Memorial Day approaches I thought I would post this in the hopes that some might see their way to help some Veterans that didn't pay the ultimate sacrifice, but will live with the severe injuries they sustained while protecting our Freedom.

There is currently a very Patriotic Woman (who wishes not to be identified) who is matching all donations made to the Independence Fund until July 4th. Independence Fund is an Organization that provides Track Chairs to severely injured Veterans. These chairs help injured Veterans become more mobile and offer them the opportunity to do things that they would not be able to do without them. Something as a Sportsman I would appreciate if I were in their situation. Frankly, the Government should be providing them, but currently they view them as a "luxury" item. That is a debate for another day.

Now would be great time to consider making a donation to the Fund since all of these donations will be matched. It has not been promoted to a great extent, if you have questions or concerns that your donation will be matched, please call them and verify that the matching is occurring.

Each Chair in the Mobility program cost approximately $15,000, a cost most of these Veteran can not afford, but with help from others, even in small donations can add up quickly.

I was honored when my Father died a year and a half ago, he was a WWII Veteran, to donate an entire cost of a chair in his name. My wife and I are fortunate enough that at this time of the matching funds to again donate the cost of an entire chair knowing that to donate one, they get two.. I post this not for accolades, but to show our commitment to this cause.

If you can, please consider donating.

Thank You, Dave

Independence Fund

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 336 Posts