Memorial Day - Thanks Veterans!

5/24/02 @ 6:45 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Baggs
Baggs
USER since 6/16/01
November 21, 1864 Mrs. Bixby-

Dear Madam,

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts, that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours, to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

- A. Lincoln -

Please take time out this weekend to remember and give thanks for the veterans who have fought to protect our way of life.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 326 Posts
5/29/17 @ 7:15 PM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

To all the family's who lost someone protecting our way of life thank you

Post Your Comment
5/29/17 @ 6:46 PM
Polski
Polski
MEMBER since 5/11/03

Personally we have all five branches of the military covered, Father Army, one brother Navy and the other Marines, my daughter Air Force and my son and daughter inlaw Coast Guard. Thanks to all I know, so many we will never know and those that have given everything, you make this the best place on earth to live.

Post Your Comment
5/29/17 @ 6:10 PM
Madgill
Madgill
MEMBER since 12/26/01

Always remember, never forget. They are the reason we are free.

Post Your Comment
5/29/17 @ 4:18 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I got to thank two Vets today personally.  First was my father who served during the Bay of Pigs and Cuban Missle Crisis.  He never saw combat but described to me what it felt like to be dressed in full battle gear, sitting on a personnel transporter and waiting for the green light.  I respect him for being there for his country even though he was never directly in harm's way.

The second was my dad's best friend who, as he puts it, "got to Viet Nam just in time to get up close and personal with the Tet Offensive".  

Thanks once again to all our Vets!

Post Your Comment
5/29/17 @ 1:50 PM
MuskyMamma
MuskyMamma
USER since 7/23/07

A big heartfelt thank you to all our service people, past & present & to those who made the ultimate sacrifice with their lives. You are the backbone of our great country. 

Post Your Comment
5/29/17 @ 10:32 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Svitreums post reminds me of the origin of Memorial Day.  Began shortly after the Civil War in honor of all those men (some women too I would think) who died.  The Civil war is the bloodiest of all our wars, killing more men than all our other wars combined. Every family in America had to be directly effected by this war.

Post Your Comment
5/29/17 @ 10:22 AM
ice queen
ice queen
USER since 12/16/10

Thank you to all veterans that have served and are currently serving and to all that made the upmost sacrifice with their lives god bless all of you!!! And THANK YOU!!

Post Your Comment
5/29/17 @ 7:04 AM
irishman46
irishman46
USER since 3/23/12

Well said Jimmy,how's the miny vacation going?

Post Your Comment
5/29/17 @ 6:56 AM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06

Being a veteran of the Gulf War I tend to not take to heart the many thanks that are expressed to Veteran's on this day. To me it was always about remembering those who served in the big wars, the ones that had large numbers of casualties. I almost felt embarrassed to bring up my service, as I had never had a bullet fly my way. When I read BT's post there was something that stirred me and reminded me why I served in the first place.

My thanks to all the vets who put it on the line. I would be remiss to not salute the families who support those guy/gals. Without them it just won't work.

In the end, this is the greatest sovereign nation on this beautiful planet we call home. It really is. I traveled all over in my time of service, and never saw anything as free and wonderful and strong as the USA. I am proud to have served and would willingly do it all again. God bless.

Jimmy

Post Your Comment
5/28/17 @ 8:40 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

Nice BT

Tim

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 326 Posts