May fishing weather, Minocqua!

11/12/15 @ 12:56 PM
ORIGINAL POST
The Muskie Kid
The Muskie Kid
USER since 12/11/02
OK, here's my sad story! Have pity on me! LOL! I know, pay your money take your chances, just great to be up north, it is, really! But when you have to pick dates months in advance and pay a deposit and pay in full in advance or you can't get a reservation! Catch or don't catch 22 and then get blown off the lake 3 or 4 days of the 5 you're there, well you know! Just asking, you guys and any guides advice, historical data? I know, it's weather, you can't count on anything, but would say, given that, would you choose early May, mid May or late May to offer a better chance for a shot at least at maybe more stable calm weather? May can be beautiful or a beast! Is one an better than the other? We've tried them all and been fooled each time. Anybody find a plan that works better? Is there a "Generally speaking" rule of thumb, or "Usually during May" out there? Not that you can count on that either, but we got to try something! Or is it just to unpredictable? I just don't know! What do you guys think? Thanks guys! The Kid! Just saw that NEW "Deeper" fish finder locater thing, it's a castable,trollable,lightweight wireless, transducer for want a better term, that transmits to your smartphone or PC/lap-top? Amazing if it works! Not cheap, but OMG if it does, a game changer! Anybody try it yet? "Squirrel Lake", you're next this spring! Can't wait, feel like a kid and I just turned "68",today! LOL!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
11/13/15 @ 8:50 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03
I love the first full week of May. Great walleye fishing up there and many, many different lakes to choose from. As Ulbian says, many will have different water temps, so half the fun is traveling around and finding the hot lake or lakes.

I wouldn't worry about late ice, but if you are, pick that second week in May. That may actually be better as the Saturday and early Sunday crowd from opening weekend will be long gone. Lakes may be a little less crowded.

I always see the lakes empty around 2:30 on Sunday of opening weekend.

But if you want to fish muskies as well as walleyes, I'd look at that second week in June. Weeds are coming up nicely and muskies are post spawn and usually eating in the weedlines, along with walleyes. Crappies have spawned and may also be in weed lines. That was always a good week for me up there.

Either way good luck to you. Hope you run into a mess of fish.

Post Your Comment
11/13/15 @ 8:23 AM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
Obviously scheduling a trip a bit later in May will help you avoid late ice but in general I wouldn't be too concerned with what days you are in that area. There's a ton of diverse water from larger deep clear lakes, smaller fertile lakes, flowages, and rivers that you have enough options where you are not stuck on a body of water that is "off" at that time.

Do a bit of research on the different types of water and compare those to the trends of years past focusing on water temps and how they might vary from system to system. Then when you are there fine tune your approach so that you are lined up with a temp "sweet spot" and go from there. There are lakes within a few miles of each other around there that might be 10-15 degrees different than another one just down the road. It all depends on recent weather patterns.

Post Your Comment
11/13/15 @ 8:21 AM
The Muskie Kid
The Muskie Kid
USER since 12/11/02
Wicasa,

You called it buddy! we're going to try it then, late May! See what happens, Squirrel Lake! You ever fish it? We have, a few time! Any tips on the walleye, we did not have a lot of luck and it's a killer walleye lake, go figure? crappie, very good, smallies, great northern, a nice muskie on, back in Ink Pot, nice fish! but not many walleyes at all? Thanks again! The Kid!

Post Your Comment
11/13/15 @ 8:15 AM
The Muskie Kid
The Muskie Kid
USER since 12/11/02
SJB, Thanks buddy, We would try it but afraid of the ice-out conditions then! What was it, two years ago the lakes were still frozen till May 8-9th? Just can't risk it when we have to lock in dates 6-8 months and no reschedules or refunds, ya know! But thank you, it is a great time to fish if you're schedule and accommodations are flexible. The Kid!

Post Your Comment
11/13/15 @ 8:09 AM
The Muskie Kid
The Muskie Kid
USER since 12/11/02
river_chaser, Think your right! gonna give it a try then!

Thanks for the advice! The Kid!

Post Your Comment
11/13/15 @ 8:08 AM
The Muskie Kid
The Muskie Kid
USER since 12/11/02
NAV165, Thanks buddy! Gonna give it a try then! Squirrel Lake! Let you know! You fish it? We have, a few times, crappie, northern, a nice ski on, back in Ink Pot, but surprisingly not many Wally's at all? We'll see this trip! Thanks again Have a good time at the wedding! The Kid!

Post Your Comment
11/12/15 @ 5:35 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Last wk of May and first wk of June.

Post Your Comment
11/12/15 @ 4:08 PM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01
I use to head up the weekend after the opener for years. I would say on a 4 day trip, most years we could fish 2-3 days and one bad weather day. The days that were good, were often excellent.

Post Your Comment
11/12/15 @ 2:07 PM
NAV165
NAV165
USER since 5/23/05
I have a cottage near Minocqua and go up just about every weekend in the summer. This year I would suggest going the weekend of May 20th. I would normally be there fishing but this year I have a wedding in Tennessee so I won't be going. It almost guarantees great weather that weekend. Probably the best fishing of the year too!

Post Your Comment
11/12/15 @ 1:57 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15
I'd go late May. Odds are better for more of a stable summer-like pattern to be established. but like you said...it's weather, no guarantees.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts