Master mechanic question

6/10/15 @ 11:18 AM
ORIGINAL POST
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
2010 Ford Expedition. So when we hook up the boat and make even the slightest turn while under power it makes a grinding kinda noise, it also feels like driving on gravel even when on black top. It's very hard to explain. It only does it while a heavy load is being towed and only when turning. Any ideas? I was thinking the limited slip my be starting to go.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
6/12/15 @ 7:57 PM
bowtech Dee
bowtech Dee
USER since 10/23/12
From what you describe I think the driveline or pinion angle is what is the issue. With such a heavy load, being you have independent rear suspension and not a solid rear axle which probably is what your experiencing. We have some issues with f150s and customer stating the same type of issue you are having but we can change that on them but not really a fix for independent rear suspension.

Post Your Comment
6/12/15 @ 12:43 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
U mentioned driveline angle. Could it be rear u joint on drive shaft. The boat is a 21 foot Boston whaler it's super heavy. The truck squats a lot when we put it on. Could that be enough to change angle and make u joint act up. Thanks again

Post Your Comment
6/12/15 @ 12:40 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
Thanks dee. It's such a weird sound and feeling it super hard to describe and we ruled out it being the trailer cuz we put a buddies boat on it and it still did it.

Post Your Comment
6/11/15 @ 8:20 PM
bowtech Dee
bowtech Dee
USER since 10/23/12
Possible clutch packs in rear diff. from load. Could also be the driveline angle. Usually with clutch packs it can do it without a load...If your making turns from stops and accelerating without a load usually is another sign. You probably have the 9.75 rearend. Not to uncommon...do several a month. There is updated clutch packs and vent hose kit for f150...and I think without running the Vin that your vehicle is also included in the updated parts.

Post Your Comment
6/10/15 @ 3:41 PM
swamp people
swamp people
USER since 5/14/12
2 suggestions- 1 - are sure its not a trailer bearing on the boat? Have you hooked it to anther vehicle? . 2- binding u-joint on drive shaft, this changes with weight and radius. Hope it helps.

Edited on 6/10/15 3:43 PM
Post Your Comment
6/10/15 @ 3:22 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
I think your bearings also. Extra weight is making it worse. Only a matter of time before it is noticed without weight or just seizes and well...

Post Your Comment
6/10/15 @ 2:48 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
Yes you feel it in the seat. Not when braking. only when applying gas only when pulling a 21 ft boat ( it's heavy) and only when turning left or right ,all 3 must be present at the same time for it to happen. It's a feeling I have never felt before and it does it in 2 wheel drive and in 4 wheel doesn't change. Take boat off and it doesn't do it even if you turn sharp and really stand on it.

Post Your Comment
6/10/15 @ 12:49 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
The sound is coming from the back end. It's pretty strange you can even feel it.

Post Your Comment
6/10/15 @ 11:32 AM
fltlndr
fltlndr
USER since 12/25/02
My wifes 4 runner use to do the same thing. Turned out to be a front wheel bearing.

Post Your Comment