SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Making Maple Syrup

1/26/02 @ 12:59 PM
sapman
sapman
User since 8/16/01
This warm wheather is getting itchy to prep my syruping stuff. Only month and a half away.

Displaying 21 to 30 of 1,726 posts
2/29/24 @ 4:38 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13
PSE- Pretty impressive process/facility/equipment that you have put together.  Always like to read this thread every year and kudo's to all you guys who post and share information.
2/29/24 @ 3:20 PM
PSE
PSE
PRO MEMBER User since 11/25/05
filtered and bottled during yesterday's cold snap
Making Maple Syrup photo by PSE
2/28/24 @ 9:35 AM
PSE
PSE
collected and cooked yesterday. hips very sore today. full bags yesterday had to be poured into 5 gallon buckets then carried to tank on the mule and 4 wheeler. 6 gallons. made. a lot of bags were overflowing. taking today off to filter and bottle today. Also had a tick on me
2/28/24 @ 9:26 AM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11
Just from Monday afternoon. Looks like another marathon this weekend. Boiled 90 gallons last weekend.
Making Maple Syrup photo by 44/45
2/28/24 @ 8:37 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03
I'm not sure if I'm blind, but I haven't seen any buds on my trees yet.  I'm going to take a closer look tonight.
2/28/24 @ 7:31 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
Pulled the majority of my taps yesterday afternoon.  Decent amount collected on Monday and it was still good.  The sap that ran yesterday was buddy.  The buds on my trees were huge on Sunday and Monday and I was hoping that maybe they‘d be able to hold off one more day before they popped open but nope, they exploded yesterday in that warmth.  

When it gets near the end I’ll isolate sap by tree from one day to the next into jars and do a side by side clarity comparison and taste test.  On every tree Monday’s sap compared to yesterday’s sap were worlds apart in both areas.  
2/27/24 @ 8:26 PM
PSE
PSE
central wiscosnsin
2/27/24 @ 1:05 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03
PSE, what part of the state are you located in?
2/27/24 @ 9:45 AM
PSE
PSE
started drawing off at 218.8 ended up drawing off at 217.6. our shack is in the woods so i run all the electrical with a generator. Auto draw off is pictured. once it reaches the set draw off the valve opens up and the syrup runs out until the temp goes below the set temp. ended up with 4 gallons yesterday. already filled one tank this morning the bags are full.
2/27/24 @ 7:02 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03
2 slow days doesn’t end a season.  I assure you the sap is far from being done as the trees aren’t even close to budding yet.  It’s going to get dicey here and there when we don’t get lows below freezing for a few days in a row.  I’m near Watertown/Lake Mills and I’m only 1 week into my season.  I got about 50 gallons of sap on 21 taps yesterday.
Displaying 21 to 30 of 1,726 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE