Making Maple Syrup

1/26/02 @ 12:59 PM
ORIGINAL POST
sapman
sapman
USER since 8/16/01
This warm wheather is getting itchy to prep my syruping stuff. Only month and a half away.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,422 Posts
4/22/18 @ 9:12 PM
dbuchmann
dbuchmann
USER since 2/17/05

Finished our year with 7.5 gallons on our new evaporator that I welded up from an old diesel tank from my grandparents farm. Here is a picture of the different grades we got from 3 boils this year

Post Your Comment
4/21/18 @ 6:01 PM
dbuchmann
dbuchmann
USER since 2/17/05

Boiling down our last 80 gallons tomorrow. Too warm and buds are starting to pop. Will be just under 7 gallons this year

Post Your Comment
4/21/18 @ 9:55 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I’m hoping all this damn snow comes to use and keeps the sap cold for a bit.  I have all my buckets buried in it now, for as long as it lasts anyways.  We’ll see though, I only have weekends to do it.  I guess if I come up and it’s bad, then I’ll be done.  I think the snow will help for a bit hopefully.

Post Your Comment
4/20/18 @ 9:07 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Great!  cept now its too warm to store it, youll have to cook it down right away.

Post Your Comment
4/20/18 @ 8:52 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Holy crap I'm actually making syrup.  Not a lot but enough to fire up the cooker anyways.  Moved some taps that were not running to trees that were actually running.    Broke through the snow crust all the way to my crotch a few times while carrying buckets.  That was amazing.

Post Your Comment
4/11/18 @ 12:19 PM
Jake & Dan
Jake & Dan
USER since 4/4/09

I was going to pull my taps at the end of the week but ended up doing it earlier as someone stole my 4 wheeler and 5 x 10  aluminum trailer out of my driveway earlier yesterday morning. It is a Honda Rubicon with the leg tank on the back and a wood box on the front rack. I live just east of Fond du Lac, if seen please contact me.

Post Your Comment
4/11/18 @ 7:33 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Feels like an eternity since many of you talked about making syrup and I still have not started yet.  At this rate I feel like I'll be doing it in May...crappy part is that I have a busy May and will want to fish as well.  

With all the snow forecast for the weekend, this will be the second in a row I did not even go up to check, don't think its worth the gas.  Even the week after will still probably have a ton of snow in the woods.  Wonder if I'll have a combo ice fishing/syrup making trip for opening weekend... 

Post Your Comment
4/1/18 @ 8:14 AM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03

Sugar content in the sap is a big driver of how light or dark it turns out. What you explained with the honeyish flavor describes a few gallons we made in 2013. Sugar content was extremely high and it turned out very, very light. The first stuff this year was on the lighter side but not like the 2013 stuff. He had only sugar maple sap in there so the sugar content will be higher to begin with. You can even notice some slight variations from tree to tree within the same general area. Our process is nearly identical to the one my father in law uses. We both tap different types of maple trees. His shack is about ten miles away from ours and our finished product has some distinct nuances from one another. When we’ve cooked our sap at his place it is distinctly ours by flavor and vice versa. Some family members prefer ours and others prefer his. It’s an interesting quirk. 

Post Your Comment
3/31/18 @ 8:07 PM
bluefin16
bluefin16
USER since 1/9/08
Might be nothing. My first batch this year was very light and tastes like store bought syrup. I don't like it but the family does. Maple syrup can look alot different from batch to batch so maybe not uncommon to have some taste variation also?

Post Your Comment
3/31/18 @ 3:55 PM
swamp people
swamp people
USER since 5/14/12

Ha I told him he tapped a bees nest in the tree. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,422 Posts