Making Maple Syrup

1/26/02 @ 11:59 AM
ORIGINAL POST
sapman
sapman
USER since 8/16/01
This warm wheather is getting itchy to prep my syruping stuff. Only month and a half away.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,185 Posts
TODAY @ 2:11 PM
Chemist
Chemist
USER since 6/17/01

After Church and filleting fish I prepped my 30 buckets, taps and storage containers.  Propane finisher is in place. 

Now decision time looms.  Do I pop a few trees and end my icefishing season or do I wait until next weekend. My pattern has always been to go early, but this is still really early.

Post Your Comment
2/17/18 @ 3:39 PM
woodturner
woodturner
USER since 2/12/04

I had always read that 10 inches is the minimum diameter for tapping trees, but whats an inch. Never had any damage to the 20 trees that I tap each spring, some are 15 years older now.

Post Your Comment
2/16/18 @ 7:33 PM
eyesmelter
eyesmelter
USER since 2/9/11

What's people's opinions on the minimum diameter trunk that should be tapped? I have some 15 year old autumn blaze maples in the backyard that are about 9 inches in diameter. Big enough? Anyone ever kill or damage a tree?  

Post Your Comment
2/16/18 @ 2:12 PM
splitG2
splitG2
USER since 10/12/07

Has anyone started tapping in SE WI? Looks like the forecast is calling for the 40s on Sunday and the following weekend.

Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 8:09 PM
bluefin16
bluefin16
USER since 1/9/08

Damn lakeshiner sounds like you have a good plan in place. I think you should come build a stove for me too!! LOL

Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 4:39 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I was getting the bug and was going to make a post the other day.  I just bought a small yard cart that I can pull with a UTV.  Also bought a 65 gallon storage tank to put on the cart.  Last year I was getting pretty tired hauling buckets back and forth, this should be pretty awesome now.  I should be able to park it above my cooker and then run a hose down to it so that its gravity fed in.

This year I have a firebox made from solid firebrick, 4.5" thick.  A work friend had a pile of it from an old kiln on his property.  Did a little work for him and got it in exchange.  Made it larger so I could get a bigger pan and a new feeder pan as well that I can just let trickle in.  Good upgrade from my old steel barrel cooker I had.  Excited to see how well it holds in the heat. 

This summer I'm going to wrap it in clay brick to make it look nicer and also build a little shelter for myself for rainy days.

Edited on 2/14/18 4:42 PM
Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 4:38 PM
Chemist
Chemist
USER since 6/17/01

Many of us started with a turkey fryer and a few trees. I only finish in the house as well.  

Once it gets in your blood you are always looking for more trees and a more efficient way to boil.

I like everything about it. Even splitting my firewood with an axe has its moments.

I also recommend mapletrader.com as a resource.

Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 3:05 PM
bluefin16
bluefin16
USER since 1/9/08

You dont have to build anything special. My first batch I cooked over a fire pit.  Then I built a temp stove behind the garage. I 'll do something different thos year, just haven't had time to plan it out yet.

Don't think of it as work.... it's fun , thay you sometimes sweat whole doing!

Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 2:48 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Some people will finish the syrup in the house. But NO you dont want to boil the sap in the house

Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 2:35 PM
7thson
7thson
USER since 6/4/06

We have sugar shack we built with 3 other neighborhood families , We usually do 100+ pints a year , much more on a good year . It's work but , with our little community all together , we have a lot of fun ! Specially when we sample for sweetness using a little "Jack" as a mixer with the boiling sap , then the fun really begins . Many cookouts as well . It becomes a several week party !!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,185 Posts