Lowrance versus Hummiinbird

3/25/15 @ 6:26 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Dodgeman 1
Dodgeman 1
USER since 8/13/13
Not trying to beat a dead horse but..... I'm going to buy a new locator this year and read all the posts here about the big two. I'm either going to buy a Lowrance HDS 9 GEN 3 Insight with the Structure Scan bundle or a Humminbird 1199 SI. Both have lots of the same features. The price is the same ($2,299.99) for either unit. Does either one read the bottom at faster speeds than the other? Can anyone tell me which has the best mapping available with an additional chip. Lake Master for Humminbird or Insight Genesis or HotMaps for Lowrance When you make a custom map (mapping capable on both units) I know you can, but do you have to share the maps you make with everyone or is it an option? FYI, I fish Green Bay, Winnebago, Castle Rock, and Petenwell for walleyes. Thanks for your input. Sad
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
3/29/15 @ 2:34 PM
fillet-o-carp
fillet-o-carp
USER since 12/1/12
I just got a new side image and down., hummingbird and it rocks , also the new lakemaster plus that actually has satellite image of lake with contours overlaying a real picture with weed beds, shallow rock piles, docks , downed trees , and feeder streams.......1000 time better than navionics . lowrance is falling way behind and way over priced. fleetfarm is only place that I found that had the plus maps so I guess all the major sporting good stores are following in lowrance's foot steps of being way behind lately . and the kids that work at cabelas,scheels,dicks,gander are all idiots . as usual I knew more about the new products than they did with just a little bit of reading

Post Your Comment
3/28/15 @ 12:20 PM
Dodgeman 1
Dodgeman 1
USER since 8/13/13
Thank you both for your honest opinions. I'm undecided which way to go. Going to go to Cabela's to look at both units and make a decision. Thanks again for you input. Worried

Post Your Comment
3/27/15 @ 9:10 PM
Otter Box
Otter Box
USER since 12/10/14
When I bought my Lowrance, it had a much better transducer with it than the Humminbird. It was a cpl hundred more for the equivalent from Humminbird. Now when your spending that kind of money, whats a few hundred more? My other influence was the place I purchased it had 11 guys in the fishing department, 8 of which fished tourneys and 1 used Humminbird because it was a sponsor for him, the rest, all unsponsored, used Lowrance. Between the 2 times I was in there before purchasing, I talked to 7 of those guys and they all said Lowrance is a better product, especially when you get to that level. Have had it for 3 years and it is great. No you don't have to share your maps.

Edited on 3/27/15 9:12 PM
Post Your Comment
3/27/15 @ 9:21 AM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15
I think it boils down to whatever trolling motor you run. Bird for Minnkota and lowrance for motorguide, especially if you plan on networking. For castle rock and pete I choose the lakemaster mapping hands down. Even the mississippi is so much better on lakemaster. The wing dams on pool eight are spot on. Navionics not so much.

Post Your Comment