Local raised or grocery store

4/7/15 @ 4:44 PM
ORIGINAL POST
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
Got a question for the wide knowledge of LL. So my best buddy is looking at an 80 acre farm in the montello area. He wants to raise a couple beef cows just to cover taxes, he's not sure if people would be interested in buying local farm raised non gmo beef. I said i know the place get an answer. He has back ground in cattle grew up on a farm. Here's what he is thinking. Grass fed, no antibiotics, farm grown grain as extra feed for proper fat to meat ratio. Anyway would people be interested buying a half, full ect. He's thinking because of the great ground he can raise at same cost as big box stores. Anyway would people be interested?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts
4/8/15 @ 12:51 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
I don't know what it's like currently but a couple years ago my brother in law raised 5-10 cows a year for beef. He also owned a 600 acre farm. He did this for a couple years and then butchered all he had left because it was costing more to feed them than he could sell them for.

Post Your Comment
4/8/15 @ 12:35 PM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03
My butcher friend always said a side a beef is more of a convince thing vs a money saving thing. I use to buy a half every year haven't done so now for couple years. I prefer fresh steaks and roasts by far over frozen. Hamburger don't really notice much difference. All the meat I buy is from two of the local private locker plants so it's all local meat too. Don't ever buy from walmart or grocery store. Though I have bought some awesome ribeye's some of the best I've ever had at Sam's where they butcher their own meat.

Edited on 4/8/15 12:47 PM
Post Your Comment
4/8/15 @ 10:13 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
It was for a side, but the amount of ground seemed like it would skew the savings on the steaks. I don't think his prices were $3-$4 a pound either though so maybe he was just high overall.

Post Your Comment
4/8/15 @ 9:44 AM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06
Lakeshiner, was your neighbor talking about individual cuts or for a side? Bulk is much cheaper when you consider the steaks you are getting for $3-4 dollars a pound. If your friend is looking to just cover taxes, leasing the land to another farmer would be the easiest way to do that, much less fun though.

Post Your Comment
4/8/15 @ 6:59 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
Is it really cheaper than store bought beef? My neighbor raises a couple and the prices I was told didn't exactly seem like a deal.

Post Your Comment
4/8/15 @ 6:53 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
I will pass along info. Thanks guys

Post Your Comment
4/8/15 @ 6:05 AM
crawdaddy
crawdaddy
USER since 7/11/01
There is a market for high quality beef. A couple would not be enough and like it has been said, winter feeding is a challenge. Will have to make own hay or buy. Buying the feeders/ starter stock is expensive. He will figure out what works on the business side, but likely hard to make enough money if he only raises a few at a time. Price of young stock is and has been rather high. Some of my friends have simply stopped buying for now. Keeping track of tax receipts can be a pain and schedule F forms can be complicated, but have at it.

Post Your Comment
4/7/15 @ 9:25 PM
brews4995
brews4995
USER since 4/2/10
I hate to burst your bubble but 2 cows aren't going to cover much taxes. Grass fed is fine but they still need grain or mineral of some kind. And what about feed during winter, either going to have to buy it or get equipment and there goes any profit. And what about initial cost of the animals? My uncle raises 3 or 4 a year and sells to my family. Even if he raised price $3 pound, it isn't going to put a dent in taxes on 80 acres of farmland in that area. Be more cost productive to rent land to another farmer in area.

Post Your Comment
4/7/15 @ 8:27 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Occasionaly I get to these farmer markets and grass fed beef is a common commodity. They command a higher price than store bought beef too. You have to have a marketing outlet by using the internet or having a presence at these farmer markets. Craigslist works too .

Post Your Comment
4/7/15 @ 5:52 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
Thanks, what he is looking for is a small operation where he can cover taxes and relax later in life. Not looking to make bank but make enough to cover taxes and maybe a small week vacation. Cool glad to see people are shifting back to the small farm mentally

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts