Listening to Wolf Howling

2/20/18 @ 9:32 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Batman1
Batman1
USER since 1/23/09

This is on my bucket list as I have never heard a wolf howl yet. I have heard that mid. February- late March is the best time to get a response to my wolf calling as wolves are looking for a mate this time of the year and become more vocal than other times. Listening to wolves on  you-tube and practicing is a good way to start or getting a recording to play works too.    NOW... I just need to know where to go to find some wolves to practice on.  Any other help would be appreciated...

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 28 Posts
2/27/18 @ 3:11 PM
jeff68
jeff68
USER since 3/15/11

I saw a mtn lion 30 yrs ago. 3 feet away. perpendicular It looked at the ground. I was spooked but cool. squirrel hunting. Manitowoc county.

Edited on 2/27/18 3:16 PM
Post Your Comment
2/27/18 @ 3:03 PM
jeff68
jeff68
USER since 3/15/11

Backcountry on Netflix and The Grey on cable made my hairs stand up

Post Your Comment
2/27/18 @ 9:49 AM
BUD E LEE
BUD E LEE
USER since 5/19/10

This is a great place to check out and photo wolves ..

Wolf Park 
Association or Organization
Wolf Park is a nonprofit education and research facility which was established in 1972 by Dr. Erich Klinghammer. Wikipedia
Address4004 E 800 N, Battle Ground, IN 47920
Opened1972
Hours
Closed ยท Opens 1PM Sat

https://youtu.be/xklhN-d6Mno

Edited on 2/27/18 1:43 PM
Post Your Comment
2/26/18 @ 9:58 PM
gordonsetterman
gordonsetterman
MEMBER since 12/15/08

Think you got the heebies. I go to Dryden Ontario every year and hunt Provincial land. By law we have to have our gun unloaded and enclosed in a case going to a stand and coming out from it. Dark both ways......pretty scary.....I've seen a couple wolves in Canada.......well over 125#......

Post Your Comment
2/24/18 @ 2:34 PM
jeff68
jeff68
USER since 3/15/11

watch Backcountry.  

Post Your Comment
2/21/18 @ 9:11 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

The closest Ive gotten to a wolf is 30 yds in Iron county. I was putting mileage on my bicycle and was going through a sparsley populated lake community in mid summer, so a fair amount of human activity this time of year. I spotted it in the driveway of a cabin 50 yds from where I seen one 10 years earlier. We eyeballed each other and I pedaled out of sight then I circled back so i could see it, stopped and we just looked at each other for a minute and it trotted off. Didnt seem afraid like a yote would but it didnt want confrontation either.  Goes without saying if a 3 yearold happened to be wandering down the driveway it wouldve been breakfast, I have no doubt.

Post Your Comment
2/21/18 @ 8:09 PM
goju
goju
USER since 12/30/10

Wildlife Sanctuary in Green Bay has a wolf pack.  It's really something when they howl.  Everything else pretty much just gets silent.  My daughter recorded one howling session and has been able to get them howling by playing back their own howls. 

Wild wolves use howls to communicate with pack members - and identify outsiders.  They don't like outsiders.  So if you get a response to howling, any wolves responding may be locating you for bad intentions.  

Post Your Comment
2/21/18 @ 7:49 PM
jeff68
jeff68
USER since 3/15/11

watch "The Grey", right up you alley. I've run into coyotes. They are cowards. Wolves are bad ass but never seen or heard one. 

Edited on 2/21/18 7:50 PM
Post Your Comment
2/21/18 @ 2:49 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
It's all fun and games until you are walking to your deer stand in the pitch black early morning and you hear one howling a few hundred yards from you followed by more howling a few hundred yards away in the opposite direction.  Having said that though I rarely ever hear the wolves, mainly coyotes, but have heard them quite a few times while hunting in Marquette cty.

Edited on 2/21/18 2:51 PM
Post Your Comment
2/21/18 @ 2:20 PM
swamp people
swamp people
USER since 5/14/12

Necedah. Wild life refuge is one place to listen for howling,  get a map, go in deep, wait for a full moon, get up on a ridge over looking a big meadow. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 28 Posts