lure
User since 1/29/10
why is there no like button on here?
Displaying 11 to 20 of 64 posts
1/29/15 @ 6:24 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
Once a person post their private life on a public forum it becomes just that, public. Anyone that would have an expectation that their private life is somehow still private at that point is just silly. You put it out there and employers will and can use it. Just because some type of behavior is legal doesn't make it desirable. I don't care what people do.... But I assure you when looking for work the employer is going evaluate a persons character.
1/29/15 @ 3:45 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
companies that have their HR departments use FB to filter out potential hires are just lazy, and admitting that the people they employ ( HR ) are incapable of interviewing people and deciding who might be worth an interview with the folks looking for a person to fill a spot
1/29/15 @ 12:52 PM
BeerTownFyreman
Many (if not most) people on FB are far to casual with the information that they put out there. Many people also do not have the discipline to determine what is/and what is not appropriate. So, is the problem that it's in a public forum... or is the problem the behavior? And where is the guideline for people to measure if what they do in their private life is "appropriate"? If it's not against the law, why is it a concern? Do we not like an employee who goes out with friends, or just not that they post a picture with a beer in their hands? You want to know what I think? Why can't these business leaders use some of their "effective communication" skills to express things like: "We employ a varied and diverse work force. While away from work, they enjoy their lives as they see fit. Their likes and personalities are as varied as can be imagined in America. Within the confines of the law, we encourage our employees to enjoy themselves, their families, and friends to the fullest extent possible." "While at work, our employees bring a focus, drive, and commitment that is unmatched in our industry. This comes as a result of, not in spite of, their varied and diverse backgrounds. We don't condone illegal activities, and company policy protects client information. Outside of that, as a business we acknowledge our employees have a life outside our walls, and respect and encourage them to live, and share, their story how they choose, with whom they choose." And no Dave, this isn't directed directly at you. We've been here too long to think that. I retyped this 3 times to try and make it not seem that way. It's just funny how life has evolved to the point that business feels compelled to dictate how their employees live their private lives.
1/29/15 @ 11:50 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
Hi BeerTownFyreman... Many (if not most) people on FB are far to casual with the information that they put out there. Many people also do not have the discipline to determine what is/and what is not appropriate. I have had this conversation with college kids more than once. From a Professional point of view generally the information is accessible IS used, viewed, and shared by Human Resource Reps during the review and hiring period. I have more than once told an HR rep I have no interest in the information, they latch onto it regardless. It most certainly has become one of their tools. In many ways the information is used in ways it was never intended. Personally I have no interest in it, I also think (opinion) that many users suffer from Narcissism, and the tool itself feeds Narcissistic behaviors and tendencies. If others love it.. more power to them, just not for me. For Professionals there is LinkedIn, which I am all but forced to participate in that... But as Marshawn Lynch says, I only participate so I don't get fined.. Smile
1/29/15 @ 11:35 AM
nihsif
nihsif
an email account strictly for FB has been at the top of my 'FB list' for awhile, don't want to accidentally invite or whatever all my contacts it's more the fact that FB on a computer, imo, opens your machine up to potential hacking...I'm pretty tight with security right now, and because of that, I don't suffer the problems a lot of people do edit: 'knock on wood'
1/29/15 @ 11:31 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
I get that but it still comes down to what you put on facebook. I use an email address that is used for nothing else. I don't put anything on there that I don't want the world to know. Its like Lake-Link, if you post fishing reports with exact spots you learn pretty quick that its a bad idea.
1/29/15 @ 11:26 AM
nihsif
nihsif
my concerns are purely from a security pov... as far as ignoring folks, or tolerating them, heck Lake-Link was/has been a training ground for that... hahaha... still love the somewhat dysfunctional family that Lake-Link has become ... Wink
1/29/15 @ 11:18 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
It could be a generational thing too. Times change, how people communicate changes. Facebook is a tool some use now. You can hate all the people on it, but if you just add your real friends and family, its fine. Even if some of them are annoying and basically living on it, you just remove them from your newsfeed and they can still contact you if need be. Benefit is that you don't need to use a phone number. If you add every person you ever met, yeah I get that being dumb. Add the people you only care about, ignore the rest. No one is making you accept their requests. In fact leaving them in limbo is probably the best option, they won't resend it. After reading some of these comments I'm picturing the time the telephone was invented and all these people up in arms that no one uses good 'ol pen and paper anymore LOL.
1/29/15 @ 10:07 AM
BeerTownFyreman
I don't FB, won't.. I also encourage people that work for me to stay clear, except for monitoring "the kids". boB as you mentioned, much of it is a cesspool and a threat to business professionals. Luckily most of my family and friends know how to communicate effectively.. Just curious why?
1/29/15 @ 9:46 AM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03
I had to read through these posts to even understand what the like button is. I was on facebook for about 2 weeks around 3 years ago. I didn't get it then and still don't. I don't care what I do on a daily basis so why would anyone else? I suppose it has it's good side but it's not for me. Everyone always tells me it's good to keep in contact with people you lost touch with. Way I look at it is if we lost contact then obviously I didn't care enough about that person or that person didn't care enough to stay in contact. Why would I want to now through a computer? My wife is on it she keeps me up to date on anything I should know. I just tell her to keep me out of it.
Displaying 11 to 20 of 64 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE