USER since 1/29/10
why is there no like button on here?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 64 Posts
1/30/15 @ 12:00 PM
Bozo
Bozo
USER since 7/29/02
I am not on FB but my wife is and she avoids politics. She doesn't want either sides nasty jokes. We know lots of conservatives. As to the U of Chicago it used to be famous for conservative economics- Milton Friedman taught there. There is more than just FB to be concerned on the internet. We googled someone that we thought was scaming us and found out just what a scam she was. Try googling phone numbers.

Post Your Comment
1/30/15 @ 11:33 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
You can dictate what is public and what your 'friends' see. I don't personally trust it, if its out there its out there.

Post Your Comment
1/30/15 @ 11:13 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Exactly. It is one piece of the puzzle. Nobody said that they had to have an online presence. However, that one piece can be a pretty good indication of their suitability for the work environment. If you want to portray yourself or reveal certain aspects of your life to the public, you better be aware that it has consequences. You are personally responsible for what is there. You had better be prepared to own it. Mrt.

Edited on 1/30/15 11:15 AM
Post Your Comment
1/30/15 @ 9:52 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
This has gotten down right funny now... It is just another tool.

If someone is stupid enough to make an ass out of themselves on-line, via social media, or other that is their choice. If you appy for a job you open up yourself to the interviewing process. I suppose employers shouldn't do background checks, or drug tests either (laughable). Simple fact, people don't like to be held accountable for their actions.

Now, a virtuous, virtual on-line presence can be a huge positive. I used LinkedIn as an example. If you have positive connection, possibly chair an on-line professional forum, or participate in one it is look at in a very positive light. I am personally hounded by headhunters all the time because of my participation in forums that are in my wheel house.

About a week ago, a friend and past co-worker contacted me via LinkedIn that his job was eliminated. Within 48 hours he was back working with us. It can go both ways.

Edited on 1/30/15 9:57 AM
Post Your Comment
1/30/15 @ 9:02 AM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06
So with interviewing skills of employers apparently being so weak that they need to stalk people online, does it negatively effect a person who has no online presence? Are they hiding too much info from those that hire making them less likely to offer a job since the employer has to rely in their own interviewing skills?

Post Your Comment
1/30/15 @ 8:00 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
When we are looking to hire someone, we want to know as much about the candidates as possible. In addition to cover letters, resume's and interviews, we do look at social media. If somebody is dumb enough to post something that casts them in a bad light, then they are too dumb to work here. It is not really our business to know what our employees do in their spare time. After they are hired, we judge them by their performance. With the high cost to train people, you bet we check social media as part of the hiring process. Mrt

Post Your Comment
1/30/15 @ 7:11 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
Will suppress the natural desire to follow the herd, and put FB on the far, far, back burner again

Polling results: Don't

Post Your Comment
1/30/15 @ 7:08 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
I have also met a "social media professional",someone paid to comb thru FB pages. He's a nephew's roommate. We've had discussions at Thanksgiving and Christmas...

That whole group - grads of U of Chicago - are pretty darn active in politics.

Guess who employs him?..Full time,well paid... The Barak Obama ("Presidential Library") Foundation.

The left is SO much better at using social media as both a political tool and a political weapon.

Post Your Comment
1/30/15 @ 7:01 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
NO problem,Pete.

I think a Beertown's got at least some right: it is what it is.

If I was single and interested in some woman,you bet her FB page would influence my first impression....Same with anyone my stepdaughter dates.

I know at least 3 people who have a FB name different than their own. One changed it when she lost her job - a job which required a social media presence...a combined personal/professional FB page...I may have been a small part of why she lost her job: She was a "social worker" being groomed - obviously to me,not so obvious to her - but being groomed for liberal activism. Community organizing....She was fired even though her clients loved her and she did a fine job because "her heart wesn't in her work". It became obvious via her FB page that she was not liberal and neither were the majority of her friends.

Conservative in dress,manner,behavior and politics.

She'll land on her feet and do well but she lost her job - in some part - due to what was on FB.

It was interesting how she was first "moved" from her first job into a different organization. She was posting from a different city every week - learning about the plight of 'undocumented" workers in the meat packing/ag industries,poor living conditions for African Americans in St. Louis,Philly and DC,Native Americans in North Dakota....conferences where the pics looked truly like a rainbow coalition...

Anyway,it is what it is.

Edited on 1/30/15 7:10 AM
Post Your Comment
1/29/15 @ 8:28 PM
Poison
Poison
USER since 3/2/10
As far as fishing info goes im a big fan of Facebook. I get/exchange way more info on there then I do on here or other fishing forums. I also enjoy all the non lake specific info that gets exchanged.

Side note, I got redirected to the App Store twice while looking on this thread. Something weird is going on with this site.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 64 Posts