Knee replacment surgery

6/6/15 @ 7:10 PM
ORIGINAL POST
jpwlegend
jpwlegend
USER since 12/29/07
Wondering if any of you have had this done, how long and painful rehab was and if you'd do it all over again? What symptom(s) were you experiencing and did you try alternative treatment before surgery? I'm a 57 yr. old male doing concrete construction work for the past 40 years and will not be able to continue much longer without getting some kind of improvement. Thanks for any responses.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts
6/18/15 @ 10:11 AM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
My dad had to retire after his replacement cause you cannot knee on the knee. also it depends on if you have a full or partial replacement my dad was up and around walking in the woods after a month and a half. The injections only do so much. my mom had both her knees replaced and is doing great with her knees. they told my mom her new knees will be good for over 30 years

Edited on 6/18/15 10:12 AM
Post Your Comment
6/10/15 @ 9:38 PM
Treeshark
Treeshark
USER since 4/5/09
Agreed about the HA injections being a worthy option for sure. One point of clarification, however- if I'm not mistaken, Euflexxa is actually one of the only HA injection out that actually ISN'T derived from rooster combs/animal proteins (bacteria derived, I believe).

Not that it matters or directly impacts efficacy one way or the other, but I thought I'd point that out as there is a certain popular of people out there that have an avian allergy of some sort and would want to avoid products derived from birds.

Edited on 6/10/15 9:39 PM
Post Your Comment
6/10/15 @ 9:11 PM
crawdaddy
crawdaddy
USER since 7/11/01
Putting off knee replacement is the right thing to do if other treatments work. Sooner you have initial replacement, more likely you will need a far more complicated revision. The euflexxa, "rooster comb", hyaluronic acid injections do work for many. Exhaust the options first.

Post Your Comment
6/10/15 @ 8:40 PM
plumwerm
plumwerm
USER since 3/25/10
Re: Injections prior to replacement. I'm 69 and have been on injections for 10 years. Started out with steroids for a few years with decent results. About 7-8 years ago I began to get "rooster comb" injections every 6 months. I had great results. Admit, the last month was a little touchy but far better than 4-5 months of rehab. The medication is called uflexa and it really works. No worry about the pre-surgery shots causing any more damage cause the damage is already done. And as someone said earlier, My doctor told me," you will let me know when your ready for replacement". Try the injections, you have nothing to loose.

Post Your Comment
6/10/15 @ 7:12 PM
fishie
fishie
USER since 6/16/01
Had my rt knee done 11/95 when I was 63 years old & still doing good. After surgery you do have to do all your excercises and therapy. Your days will revolve around your daily therapy. Your strength and mobility will not come back like magic if you don't put in the effort. It was well worth my effort.

Post Your Comment
6/10/15 @ 11:02 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11
I'm a physical therapist in western WI and I work with a lot of patients after having knee replacements. Everyone is different and everyone responds differently. They are said to be the most painful joint replacement to have however people tend to have positive results. If you can tough out the pain for 2-3 weeks people usually report that the pain is better than it was prior to surgery. Something to think about is that the components of a knee replacement typically only last 15-20 years so with you being as young as you are, you'd likely be looking at another one once your 75ish. I'd recommend putting it off as long as you can but once the pain is too much, get it replaced. If you haven't tried the injections I'd also recommend giving them a try. It might be a temporary fix but people who respond well to them have relief of the pain for up 6+ months.

Post Your Comment
6/7/15 @ 10:11 AM
jpwlegend
jpwlegend
USER since 12/29/07
Hey guys, thanks. Sounds like I better plan on getting as least one done during the "off-season".

Treeshark, pm is on but I'll be away from 'puter for a couple hours.

Post Your Comment
6/7/15 @ 9:26 AM
crawdaddy
crawdaddy
USER since 7/11/01
Remember your goals of recovery are simple. Heal the wound. Control the pain. Get the motion back.

Post Your Comment
6/7/15 @ 9:24 AM
crawdaddy
crawdaddy
USER since 7/11/01
Mostly agree, accept that the stockings don't do what they say. Nobody in central WI uses them anymore as the evidence does not support use of them. They do help with swelling. Many insurances demand that 6 to 12 weeks of NSAIDS, 6 weeks of therapy, injection of steroid be tried prior to approval of knee replacement.

Ask about intra operative injection for pain control. There are different injected "cocktails " but they all help pain 1st 2 days.

Post Your Comment
6/7/15 @ 9:04 AM
waterbugg
waterbugg
USER since 6/13/09
I had my left knee replaced 7 years ago & it was probably the best thing I've done for myself in years. After 2 arthroscopic surgeries & almost no carteledge left it was more than time.

I know of 3 brands of knee replacements, Depuy, Zimmer, & Striker but I'm sure there are others out there. I have a Striker. Most replacements are made of either Titanium or Chromium Cobalt & weigh about 4 lbs. Had mine done at Community memorial Hospital in Menomonee Falls by Dr. John konkel & all went very well. Yes, there is pain but believe me its well worth it! Just do ALL the physical therapy they tell you to do & at least 10-15% more, as the more you do them the more range of motion you get back.

You'll have to wear surgical stockings for a while which look silly but DO use them as they prevent blood clots which are very serious.

Good Luck

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts