If you could, would you live in Northern Wi?

5/16/15 @ 12:51 AM
ORIGINAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
I've lived up here in Vilas for about 2 and a half years now. Great place for a family. Waukesha County before that. Great place for a family too. But, boy, are things different in the two places. I know a lot of folks say they'd love to live up north, but few actually make that move. As one local told me. "Everyone loves it up here in the summer....tell them to live through a winter, then see if it's for them or not." Jobs are problem reason number one that most of the population is in southern Wi. Brewer games, open fields, warmer climate, longer growing season, conveniences, certain opportunities. Those are other reasons I feel people tend to live in Southern Wi. Up north Wisconsin has a lot of benefits too of course. More lakes than one can possibly fish, guaranteed ice and snow cover, quietness, air quality, slower pace of life, lower population, low taxes, natural beauty, etc......So, if you could, and you're in southern Wi, would you make the move ? Why or why not? Anyone from up north dream for the south?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 143 Posts
6/23/17 @ 7:24 PM
waltereye sr.
waltereye sr.
USER since 6/25/01

US Abrams. We also have land and cabin where you are. And today just put offer in on a lake lot. Moving permanently in (6) years. God willing, of course. Been coming up from Central Wisconsin for (50) years. Bought the first property (5) years ago and built small cabin until we retire.

Post Your Comment
6/23/17 @ 4:55 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12

I have been to just about every place up north you can go. They all have something specail about them. I would move way up north in a heart beat if and this is the big IF i could pick the where and still find gameful employment.  But that being said i moved back to WI from AK cuz my dad doesnt have long. If i was looking to go to northern wi for solitude hunting fishing ect just stop messing around and go to AK the fishing is out of this world the hunting is why hunting shows and fishing shows are still in buisness. And there are tons and tons of high paying jobs. My cabin up there is not remote by AK standards by any means and i might go a week or 2 without even seeing jet trails in the sky.  If you truly want that kind of solitude there are tons of places that it can be found. Oh fyi you can still find old home stead sites that are deeded for next to nothing my friend just bought 2 five acre chunks that are next to eachother for 1,000 bucks. 

Post Your Comment
6/23/17 @ 9:56 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
USER since 2/13/17

Absolutely yes. We own up in Land O Lakes and I could easily spend every day up there. I'm lucky in that my wife loves to fish and read.

Post Your Comment
6/12/17 @ 6:55 PM
og tower
og tower
USER since 8/26/12
I am not far from northern wi only about 1.5 hours from being pretty remote. I would like to move there but only once I have fully funded my retirement haha... Last thing I would want is to move where I go to have fun and be forced to work.

Post Your Comment
6/12/17 @ 4:50 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01
NPike, that is a true statement. The wife and I go to the U.P. almost every year. We see the waterfalls and just drive and eat at nice little places, stop by a beach and it is just different and very decollate in most places. I watched a very nice 40 ac. parcel sit for 2 yrs for 20K. Then it went to 15K. I walked it a bunch and what a nice 40, Hemlock , cedar , white Pine not even touched by the deer. I also didn't see a single deer track on the land or on the dirt road that was 1.8 mi. from the highway, just a coyote track. There is no sense in hunting it and we only saw two deer in 2 days up there and one was dead on the road. This was a bit west of Lake Gogebic. The problem is there is literally nothing there. You work for tourism or the government. Some of those shops in town have been closed for years. 

Post Your Comment
6/11/17 @ 11:29 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
Been up to the U.P. plenty of times since I've lived up here and it's such a cool and unique place. From the waterfalls, the lakes, the people, and the mountains, it's really special. But, I don't know that I could live there unless I'd have grown up there. But, a really neat place to visit and the people there are down to earth for sure. So, if any of you truly want solitude, land up there is really inexpensive and it offers a lot of what we have in northern Wisconsin, but it's perhaps a further drive and more remote than most could handle. 

Post Your Comment
6/10/17 @ 7:25 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01

I read every post. There is up north , and there is UP north. Some places up north is not that different than where I live north of Allenton , WIs. when it comes to solitude. Up north can be a small town, like Crivitz. That is not up north to me. I have a place 17 mi. west of Phillips that sure is " up north" and I would  never ever live there. Hunting and fishing is not good enough. I also wonder if I'd get bored walking the same public land that all seems the same. I live on a small road and maybe 50 cars a day go by. Not bad for Washington Co. Wis. I can hunt 5,000 ac. 2 -6 mi. from my house and be there in 10 min. It is not up north scenery but I see a lot more deer. I can hunt Kettle Moraine S.F. northern unit and be there is 20 min. However, I dont see more deer there than Price co. but  " the Kettles" are nicer land than Price co. where I am. I am not happy about the fishing in either place , but can be to the Wis. river in 1.5 hrs, free boat launch and 25 bucks for diesel fuel. I dont fish the lakes around here except Winnebago ( 26 mi.) As for my land up north, I will keep it only cause taxes are $ 230 per yr. If it were to go up to what some areas pay , it would be long gone. I can make a good living here as a carpenter but always end up in southern Washington or Waukesha co for work cause thats where the money is. I can't make half as much in Price co. but can be there is about 4hrs if I dont stop and if I take the car it is about $35 bucks @ $ 2.30 gal. I can be to  La Crosse on the Missy in 3hrs. a $100 hotel night or sleep on the sandbar works to save the $100 . I think I will stay where I am. I do think of testing other places like north of Denver an hour or so but it will never happen. I will leave WIs. if the taxes get too high on my property ( $ 3,800 last year) hold my breath. It is an 8 yr old 2,200 sq. ft. 3 bed  brick ranch so I am ok. If I leave here I would be the most interested in an area South of La Crosse and north of Prairie Du Chien , Wis. but would be a small house. Also, Vilas co. seems to be much more liked than Price co. There are for sale signs all over west Price co. 

Post Your Comment
6/10/17 @ 5:37 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Listen to Neil Young's "Pocahontas".   He mentions and pronounces it in that song.

The power came back on but now I don't feel like working anymore.  I got burned napping on the dock but I don't know if it's sunburn or windburn.

Post Your Comment
6/10/17 @ 3:16 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

I cant even pronounce that word so I guess that means I wont be moving up there.

Ive got a southwest facing shoreline with forest of 65 ft maples blocking my northern view and some nights I would love to have that north facing just to get the northern lights.  When it comes to lake frontage its near impossible to get everything within affordable price.

Post Your Comment
6/10/17 @ 3:00 PM
phishin phool
phishin phool
USER since 4/5/08

BugleTrout, Musky Mamma, Yep, love the scenery up here. However, this far back in the woods I do miss seeing the sunrise and sets. Awesome colors I miss. The "Northern Lights"...I really miss those. But, Oh well...The sights of Indigo Buntings, Golden Finch and Purple Finch all on the same feeder is one sight in a few...Love my little piece of Heaven!!!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 143 Posts