I ate BullHead last night!!!!!

7/14/13 @ 7:59 AM
ORIGINAL POST
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
So last night we had a family fish fry. My father-in-law supplied the fish this time. We started off with the main coarse of Blue Gills. We used Guiness beer batter. It was great. Then we fried 4 nice bass fillets which I made a sandwich out of cause I hardly got any gills cause I was cooking. Then we did 4 fillets of bullhead. I was Leary but said I would try it. I was astonished at how good they were. Was it the beer batter? Does anyone ever eat these things? My vote is they were not bad at all. If I accidentally catch one in the future, I will keep it and take the fillets. I will keep them separate of coarse. So if I ever hear someone say they taste rotton, I will call their bluff.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 21 to 28 of 28 Posts
7/14/13 @ 12:16 PM
Mr. Killroy
Mr. Killroy
USER since 5/3/07
Every year we eat them. Catch them in the spring when the water is cool and clear. Clean & skin them, dip in butter milk, roll in seasoned cornmeal and drop them in the oil for a few minutes. Mashed potatoes and creamed corn with them makes a nice balanced meal.

Post Your Comment
7/14/13 @ 10:49 AM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Bullheads are good table fare. Agree with Slicer though... Much better in the Spring when the water is cool. They tend to get mushy in the heat of the Summer. Also, cook them a bit longer than you think you should have to, that crisps them up a bit and makes them better.

Also, I fillet them just like a Crappie or a gill. No need for a board with a nail, skinning, or anything else.

Post Your Comment
7/14/13 @ 8:44 AM
uplander
uplander
USER since 10/6/09
I had them fried,baked and smoked and they were o.k. Not my favorite but o.k. get rid of that bloodline and in a pinch. I just remember them being a pain to skin. When I lived in Keil I found some old guys fishing for them in the Sheboygan river. They would snap there head back and pull off the skin. I was amazed.

Post Your Comment
7/14/13 @ 8:40 AM
Treeshark
Treeshark
USER since 4/5/09
I think eating bullhead is in some ways a 'lost art.' My grandpa, and I think a lot of other old timers used to eat them a lot. They are just a small catfish, no reason not to eat 'em. Cleaning them is, in my opinion, what scares a lot of people off. Nothing a board, nail, and pliers can't fix! I've heard they are good smoked and grilled, but I haven't tried them this way.

Post Your Comment