I ate BullHead last night!!!!!

7/14/13 @ 7:59 AM
ORIGINAL POST
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
So last night we had a family fish fry. My father-in-law supplied the fish this time. We started off with the main coarse of Blue Gills. We used Guiness beer batter. It was great. Then we fried 4 nice bass fillets which I made a sandwich out of cause I hardly got any gills cause I was cooking. Then we did 4 fillets of bullhead. I was Leary but said I would try it. I was astonished at how good they were. Was it the beer batter? Does anyone ever eat these things? My vote is they were not bad at all. If I accidentally catch one in the future, I will keep it and take the fillets. I will keep them separate of coarse. So if I ever hear someone say they taste rotton, I will call their bluff.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 28 Posts
7/19/13 @ 5:50 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
ihookem: "If bullheads were 2 ft. long I would fish for them."

Same here.

Post Your Comment
7/19/13 @ 4:55 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01
Ayefeesh, you are right in a way. The truth is they are almost exaclty like a flahead cat. I don't say this often, but they are most likely the best tasting fish there is . A bullhead is no different. Bullheads don't have much oil in them, and very seldom eat something dead and almost always are caught in sand or rock bottoms. I caught on 13" on bago 3 weeks ago and smoked it with the whitebass. It absorbed the salt more that the other fish but was very good. The reason the meat is pinkish is cause the blood goes into the meat differently than other fish cause the meat is different. It's not flakey. If ya cut the tail first the blood runs out and meat is better. If bullheads were 2 ft. long I would fish for them.

Post Your Comment
7/17/13 @ 3:16 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
I think they're far better than channel catfish but I haven't eaten them in years - too small and too much trouble cleaning a bunch.

I do know a few guys who travel some distance in the spring to bullhead fish. The size and taste is better where they go,so they leave "lake country" (and stay up very late on a work night) to catch a bunch of bullheads.

It must be worth it to them.

Post Your Comment
7/17/13 @ 11:15 AM
Polski
Polski
MEMBER since 5/11/03
I think they are one of the better fish to smoke. The skin pulls off easy after smoking them and they have a large rib cage and no small bones to look for or worry about.

Post Your Comment
7/15/13 @ 7:57 PM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11
Have a fish fry and cook all sorts of fish including bullhead. Then do a blind taste-test. 9/10 will pick bullhead over the other fish. Love those tasty suckers.

Post Your Comment
7/15/13 @ 5:14 PM
JethroBodine
JethroBodine
USER since 12/21/01
I've never eaten one but will probably always remember how wide my then 7 year old's eyes got when I pulled a foot long yellow bullhead out of the hole ice fishing Monona Bay at night.

Asked me "What is that thing?!" because he had never seen a bullhead or catfish.

Edited on 7/15/13 5:15 PM
Post Your Comment
7/15/13 @ 1:00 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
I don't target them or eat them on a regular basis, but the one time I did eat them I was pleasantly suprised with how good they were. I would much rather eat a panfish or walleye, but bullheads are pretty darn good in their own way.

Post Your Comment
7/15/13 @ 8:44 AM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03
I grew up on pan fried Rock River bullheads. I haven't eaten one in years, but they aren't terrible. Not so good that I seek them out, though.

Post Your Comment
7/15/13 @ 7:45 AM
POPPER
POPPER
USER since 6/20/01
Purge them overnight in fresh water.......helps get rid of muddy taste in cats and bullheads!

Post Your Comment
7/14/13 @ 5:41 PM
Badwolf
Badwolf
USER since 6/13/07
Water temp isn't nearly as important as bottom structure. Bullheads tend to take on the taste of the bottom so muddy bottoms will produce muddy tasting bullheads. Gravel or sand will produce very tasty ones.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 28 Posts