I ate BullHead last night!!!!!

7/14/13 @ 7:59 AM
ORIGINAL POST
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
So last night we had a family fish fry. My father-in-law supplied the fish this time. We started off with the main coarse of Blue Gills. We used Guiness beer batter. It was great. Then we fried 4 nice bass fillets which I made a sandwich out of cause I hardly got any gills cause I was cooking. Then we did 4 fillets of bullhead. I was Leary but said I would try it. I was astonished at how good they were. Was it the beer batter? Does anyone ever eat these things? My vote is they were not bad at all. If I accidentally catch one in the future, I will keep it and take the fillets. I will keep them separate of coarse. So if I ever hear someone say they taste rotton, I will call their bluff.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 28 Posts
6/23/14 @ 2:19 PM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01
It wasn't the beer batter, but the beer. Guessing you had a few while prepping the gills. Couldn't help my selfSmile

Post Your Comment
6/21/14 @ 5:13 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
USER since 10/14/01
We kept about 30 panfish the other day, mostly sunfish and bluegills. We had one bullhead in the mix, I removed a boneless filet the best I could. He was included in the breaded fish fry, tasted fine, though it was mixed in.

So often the breaded or flour covering masks some of the taste, for better or for worse.

Post Your Comment
6/20/14 @ 10:40 PM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11
Got about 15 the other night using livers after dark. Still gotta fry them up.

Did a blind taste-test one day with some family. We had crappie, walleye, catfish and bullhead. I cooked them and kept them separate, but no one else knew what they were. Bullhead was #1, walleye #2, crappie #3 and catfish #4. I'd agree with those results.

Post Your Comment
6/20/14 @ 2:44 PM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
When I was a kid we vacationed for many years up in Tomahawk, WI, and fished the Tomahawk River for Walleyes, pike, and panfish. Among the many yellow perch & 'gills we caught were a fair number of bullheads, which we'd carefully unhook and toss back.

That is, until, one year I met a veterinarian in the fish cleaning house who showed me how to clean 'em without getting impaled. I tried it and from then on, we all considered the bullheads mighty tasty additions to our fish fries.

Not up there with 'gills and perch, mind you, but plenty edible, and mighty tasty!

Post Your Comment
6/18/14 @ 12:13 PM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
MEMBER since 3/4/06
Casting I would cut the bullhead just behind the gills on the bottom side and then bleed them before skinning and cleaning and cooking them whole after a milk bath then bread and eat them by picking through the bones. Pretty darn good eating I thought.

Post Your Comment
6/18/14 @ 4:29 AM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
MEMBER since 3/4/06
Casting I used to do the same thing before cooking them.

Post Your Comment
6/17/14 @ 10:14 PM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
MEMBER since 3/4/06
I love to eat bullhead Great fish and easy to clean. however as I got older I forgot how good the were for table fare and how easy to catch. I guess I got to try to return to my early days and try to catch a few and if so clean and eat them. They are really tasty if prepared right.

Post Your Comment
6/17/14 @ 9:22 PM
BoatFever
BoatFever
USER since 10/7/07
As a kid, my grandpa would take me fishing in the creek behind his house. Worm, hook and split shot on the bottom. We caught pretty much only bullhead. We'd skin them, cut the head off and remove the fins and guts. Coat them in egg and flour with salt and pepper and fry in a pan with oil with the bones it. I loved it. Still do. The meat comes off very easy, so with a fork you could get all the meat off with four moves. From behind the rib cage on each side and then with the ribs on each side.

If you like catfish, I would guess that you would like bullhead, too. It tastes very similar to a young channel cat that's cleaned correctly. When I was nine years old, my grandpa took me fishing on Fox Lake (this was before it was dredged). We got up and 4:30AM and was on the lake around 5:30AM. Fished in the rain, brought our lunch, peed in coffee cans and by the end of the day we had 72 bullheads and a few perch. Put them in a bucket in the fridge and the next morning he showed me how to clean one. He went potato picking on his neighbor's farm and I sat and cleaned all those fish by myself. I will never forget how to clean a bullhead. Awesome eating!

Post Your Comment
7/19/13 @ 8:30 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Don't ya love beer batter? Are you from wisconsin originally?

Post Your Comment
7/19/13 @ 7:29 PM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06
Beer batter hides the bad flavor of anything....makes a white bass from Kosh right now taste good.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 28 Posts