How Many Scuba Divers Out There

5/16/16 @ 1:51 AM
ORIGINAL POST
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER since 6/15/09

I have been certified since 1990 and will be making a trip to the US Virgin Islands next week. I also will be taking the Advanced class while I am there. We have several boat dives planned and then just snorkel around the piers in between. 

When we get back home I want to start diving Big Green and see some of the things my locator has shown me. It out to be quite a shock going from 80° water to temperatures in the 40s-50s.

Anyone one else have dives planned this year?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
5/26/16 @ 8:07 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01

I know there's at least a couple divers on LL that I know of... but not as many people visit LL during nice weather...and the 'forums' don't get nearly as much traffic as they used to do. 

Post Your Comment
5/26/16 @ 7:56 AM
RescueDiver
RescueDiver
USER since 1/21/12
I have done a fair amount of Midwest area diving. I dive the Mississippi and Wisconsin Rivers and there is zero visibility, everything is by feel. It's not fun at all! Now Lake Wazee in BRF is a great place to go, decent visibility to see fish and sunken objects for recreational diving Wazee Sports Center is a phenomenal place to go for training and equipment sales or rental. Pearl Lake near Beloit is another good recreational dive site, it's a flooded sand quarry with great visibility and a bunch of sunken sights. It's a whole new experience being in the underworld seeing the fish in their environment and feeling the temp differences at depth especially  where the thermocline is. In a clear body of water you can actually see the thermocline. 

Post Your Comment
5/18/16 @ 7:20 PM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08

Apparently not many, A5.  So far I count you... and that's about it. 

I've always been a strong swimmer, should have taken up SCUBA many years ago, but who knows, maybe this 'ol dog can still learn a few new tricks some day soon!

Edited on 5/18/16 7:22 PM
Post Your Comment
5/16/16 @ 4:39 PM
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER since 6/15/09

Fish react differently when you are in the water with them, as opposed to walking on shore. Its nice to see them where they live and how they behave. Take a class and get certified. Even if you don't dive much, the gear is cheap to rent.

Post Your Comment
5/16/16 @ 12:31 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15

I have always wanted to do it. The lake I live on is to stained  to do it. We do have lakes within a couple of hours that are excellent lakes to dive in.  Bullsholls and Norfork. They are located in northern Arkansas. I know that I would need lessons and all of that but it sure does seem fun... I guess I watched Sea Hunt too much when I was a kid.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment