hey! I stop smoking!!!!

1/11/02 @ 4:51 AM
ORIGINAL POST
SwampHog
SwampHog
USER since 6/15/01
support group for those who would like to stop smoking.
Edited on 2/19/06 5:29 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 922 Posts
2/15/17 @ 11:50 PM
BOBBYB
BOBBYB
USER since 5/24/03

18 years ago as i was in the hospital recovering from having a  stent put in from my heart attack my oldest son brought my first grandson up to see me. He said we hope you get to watch him grow up. Next day my cardiologist gave me the besttalking to that i ever had. He pulled no punches and said you have to do three things. Watch what you eat, exercise, and quit smoking. If you can only do one quit smoking. If you dont i will see you back here in 6 months and i will crack your chest wide open and do a good job! Havent touched one yet. IT's HARD but CAN BE DONE. Stick with it guys. This weekend i'm driving south to watch that grandson play baseball for his University. 

Post Your Comment
2/15/17 @ 10:59 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

Here you go higgs

Quit cold turkey on Thanksgiving 9 years ago

Still get urge, but lungs cannot handle any kind of smoke anymore

Post Your Comment
1/30/16 @ 4:42 PM
Kernal1
Kernal1
USER since 3/3/12
Well, there you have it. 1 year. 365 days. Last post on LL was day 43, on the Florida vacation - that was tough - plus cigarettes are cheaper there. Now, have made it through several summer tenting and fishing trips, the death of my favorite uncle who was my fishing and cribbage partner, the death of a dear pet that had been with us for 18 years, and all of the holidays. My chest doesn’t hurt anymore; the bronchitis is gone. The cigarette stench in the garage is a stale memory. Joined the YMCA, and actually go to tread and bike several times a week. With the highest praise for the wife, we quit together, cold turkey...after 35 plus years...way too many. I can’t believe I was so stupid. Last fall someone asked me, ‘why for are you still counting?’

$5,124, or 8,760 hours, or 525,600 minutes, or 13,140 cigarettes. Who’s counting?...

Post Your Comment
3/15/15 @ 5:24 PM
skeeterbite
skeeterbite
USER since 4/12/14
Its all G thanx. Enjoy a wonderful new beginning and the same to everyone else !

Post Your Comment
3/15/15 @ 5:20 PM
skeeterbite
skeeterbite
USER since 4/12/14
G, thanx and enjoy a wonderful new begging and to everyone else the same !

Post Your Comment
3/15/15 @ 3:23 PM
Its all G
Its all G
USER since 10/29/09
Nice job all you guys on kicking the worst addiction that has kept us captive for years. For 36 yrs I smoked and lied to myself that it wasn't that bad and I could quit anytime. Well I finally gained enuf courage to finally do it. I am at 318 days quit, and still cant believe I am this far along. I'm lovin it and am never going back. I have also saved $4449 and regained 80 hrs of life back. My older kids are just in awe when I tell them that makes 12,715 sticks I haven't lit so far. So congrats to all you that have decided to live a new life without the constant addiction.

Post Your Comment
3/15/15 @ 1:33 PM
Kernal1
Kernal1
USER since 3/3/12
Day 43...!

Post Your Comment
3/15/15 @ 12:15 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
That was one of my biggest motivators too,Skeeterbite. At least on the final time....After two other times "long term". Once for two years and once for 8 months.

It was tougher each time.

Post Your Comment
3/15/15 @ 11:03 AM
skeeterbite
skeeterbite
USER since 4/12/14
One thing that really helped me was thinking that if i failed was i still wanted to quit and i didnt want to have to start over and go through all the bs and suffering in the beginning when you first quit.

Post Your Comment
3/15/15 @ 9:19 AM
albro
albro
USER since 4/20/02
I'm on 2 months now. Still sucking on the Nicotine lozenges but they take the edge off. Toughest habit I ever had to break. Been sober 15+ years and that was a piece of cake compared to the smokes. Try to work my program around the cigs and it helps but I haven't reached the point where the compulsion has been lifted.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 922 Posts