SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

hey! I stop smoking!!!!

1/11/02 @ 5:51 AM
INITIAL POST
SwampHog
User since 6/15/01
support group for those who would like to stop smoking.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 822 posts
2/1/22 @ 9:18 PM
Kernal1
User since 3/3/12

Congrats to everyone here that has quit.  Probably the best, most difficult thing I have ever done.  7 years today.

2/7/21 @ 1:33 PM
Black_Ice2
Black_Ice2
User since 11/12/18

I quit just under 8 years ago.  I wanted to live to see my kids graduate high school and theres a ton of heart issues in my family.  I quit when I was 38 which was the same age my dad was when he had his first heart attack (and quadruple bypass surgery).  I had a plan to quit and mostly followed through.  I went on Chantix and was going to quit smoking after being on it 7 days.  I ended up quitting after 8 days because I had a few smokes left and wanted to quit when my last one was gone.  After a week you aren't physically hooked anymore just mentally.  I did quit drinking for a while too in order to not slip up.  Havent had as much as a drag off of one since.  Every time Ive had an urge I remind myself that if I take even 1 drag I will be hooked again.  As the years have gone on the frequency and length of a craving has gone to almost never but a couple times a year I still get one.    I was spending 200-250 bucks a month on it back then and quitting has saved me 25-30 thousand dollars along with who knows what medical issues.  If you are thinking about quitting do it its so worth it.  Its hard to quit because it's worth it.      

2/4/21 @ 10:05 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Lol Z, I was gonna say avoid triggers you know like everything you like doing. First cup of coffee, drinking, sex, drinking, fishing, driving, eating...... oh did I mention drinking?

2/4/21 @ 8:15 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

Welderguy I agree that avoiding the triggers will make it easier. 

So here’s my list of things I need to avoid:

Getting up in the morning 

Eating meals

Taking the dog out 

Fishing

Drinking 

Driving 

Stressful situations

I’m going to give it my best shot, but the dog isn’t going to be happy.  :)

2/4/21 @ 6:24 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

I agree cold Turkey is the way to go!  But you really have to want to quit. Also, try to avoid things for a while that make u want a cigarette. 

2/3/21 @ 7:55 PM
Its all G
User since 10/29/09

Congrats to all the quitters. It’s all worth it so they say. Smoker for 34 years, quit 8 yrs ago. I don’t think anyone ever said it was easy, but man I don’t think I could ever go back. Hate the smell when guys even walk into my job trailer. Yukkkkkk!! Got to do the cold turkey deal, even as bad as it sounds. If you don’t you’re never really quit. Still enjoyed it when I quit, but new it was the right thing to do. 

Keep up the quit guys. 

2/3/21 @ 7:45 PM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11

Kudos to all of you that could put them down. I've had to deal with a lot of medical issues lately and one of the first things they ask is if I smoke. Makes me feel better that I never had the urge to start!

2/3/21 @ 7:37 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

I think meth is the answer. Your job would fire you, your wife would leave you, you wouldn't have a cell phone for people to bother you all the time. Think of the peace and quiet. Total serenity.

2/3/21 @ 5:19 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I'm almost four months in, but have not gone cold turkey and am using one of those Juul deals. This isn't the final plan, but more or less bridging the gap until I'm done with it for good. I've cheated a few times, but have resisted the urge to buy a pack, so at least I've got that going for me. 

2/3/21 @ 12:22 PM
oncebitten
oncebitten
User since 12/7/17

I did it to 38 or 39 years ago cold turkey is the way to go but I believe that you have to really want to !!                           It wasn't all that hard to do. Wishing you all the best of luck. 

it's well worth$$$ the effort just do it

2/3/21 @ 9:31 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

I quit cold turkey as well, on Thanksgiving, use to keep track but it's been well over 10 yrs I think, could buy a carton of Doral menthol for $20... the then governor was going to add a $1 tax/pack, and there was no way I was paying that...

2/3/21 @ 7:43 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

I quit years ago and would still have a couple here and there when I was out drinking. Last year for deer hunting I took 2 weeks off and decided to get a couple packs of smokes, been smoking since. Time to get on that wagon again. 

2/3/21 @ 6:47 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I quit cold turkey years ago, never really remembered a day or tracked.

I did get a crazy shock when my wife got a pack at Kwik Trip last weekend and they were $9.64 a pack for Marlboro. Wow!

2/3/21 @ 1:24 AM
Kernal1
User since 3/3/12

6 years yesterday.  I keep a spreadsheet of money not spent on smokes.  I smoked a pack a day, she a half.  Both my wife and I.  A little over $32,000 over 6  years.  This suprised me, thought there was something not quite right with the calculation. Nope.  Let me know if I can help.  

3/17/20 @ 2:07 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

My fishing buddy had mouth cancer from chewing, they removed part of his tongue.  He talks funny but is ok.  This was about 30 years ago. CARPIO.  I quit smoking when they raised the price to .99 a pack.   CARPIO 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 822 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE