help! skunks and opposum!

10/15/15 @ 9:38 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Big-Fish-R
Big-Fish-R
USER since 4/9/08
I have 2 metal medium to large traps. I have got a few, but they are shredding my yard looking for grubs. I have not been catching anything lately. Baits I have used include chicken, bacon fat, marsh mellows, crawlers, tuna, and grubs. Any other ideas out there? I replanted a new section of grass and it is getting dug up. Traps right there untouched.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
10/19/15 @ 6:46 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
Get yourself a couple Mountain Lions and Bobcats.. along with a pack of Coyotes or Wolves and they will be gone soon.. City life... Cool

Post Your Comment
10/19/15 @ 6:39 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
You will never stop the digging until you get rid of the grubs.

Post Your Comment
10/18/15 @ 7:49 PM
muskrat30
muskrat30
USER since 10/14/01
Our dog got sprayed a few days ago. If I see a skunk or possum he'll get the 17 HMR!

Post Your Comment
10/17/15 @ 4:29 PM
Big-Fish-R
Big-Fish-R
USER since 4/9/08
I keep thinking I'm turning into bill Murray's character in caddyshack. At least not 'gophers'!

Post Your Comment
10/17/15 @ 4:23 PM
Big-Fish-R
Big-Fish-R
USER since 4/9/08
Night 2 -- 1 large skunk with pb! Yeah! Reset 1 trap for tonight with pb covered grubs. Sounds like varmit delicacy! Thanks for hint. Hoping to get more cause with all the damage there must be a lot there!

Post Your Comment
10/16/15 @ 6:11 PM
Madgill
Madgill
MEMBER since 12/26/01
Yes, get rid of the grubs in the lawn and you will have no issues, I had a terrible problem a few years back with skunks and coons digging in the front yard, the lawn grub control works, no more digging. Coons are still around here at night, they prefer the fermented grapes over worms in the ground now. Tipsy coons on the trail cam! The fox urine does work, moved some woodchucks away from mom's house back into the swamp.

Post Your Comment
10/16/15 @ 5:36 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
Madgills is right, eliminate the food ( grubs ), and you eliminate the reasons for the critters to dig... also, trapping ends up being a hobby aslong as the food still exists...

No experience with skunk and opossum, but I was able to get rid of groundhog issues with fox urine...if you are interested in something to try other than trapping

Good luck

Post Your Comment
10/16/15 @ 5:25 PM
Big-Fish-R
Big-Fish-R
USER since 4/9/08
Night 1 with pb was unsuccessful. I'll hope for better luck tonight. Madgill, funny post!

Post Your Comment
10/16/15 @ 12:20 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
Canned cat food works awesome! Also find out where they are entering your property and set up snares. Snares work great because they don't rely on bait. All animals are creatures of habit they will be coming and going on the same trail because it was safe last time why won't it be this time. I ran a 200 mile trap line in Alaska and easy 80 % of animals came from snares.

Post Your Comment
10/15/15 @ 6:41 PM
ThreeFiftySeven
ThreeFiftySeven
USER since 3/14/03
Silver bullet for that strange critter...maybe garlic on the fence line. Haha...funny junk. 2x for peanut butter, seriously.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts