Gutters:Leaf & debris protection

10/28/15 @ 10:09 AM
ORIGINAL POST
RichManitoba
RichManitoba
USER since 5/22/15
Does anybody have any form of gutter protection? If you DO have a product, DO THEY WORK? PERIOD. There are many on the market, and they all claim to be the best. We've seen them all at home product shows. A Google search didn't give me any answers. I don't want to go to Menard's, etc, and buy some plastic mesh to nail on; those don't work. I turned down one company for an estimate, because they insisted on me watching a power point presentation. I don't want to watch propaganda video. (Get off my lawn!) I just wanted to know how much it will cost and I'm doing the research myself....and with YOUR help!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
10/31/15 @ 5:45 PM
percheye1
percheye1
USER since 6/24/01
If you want to put them in yourself I suggest the solid type vinyl gutter cover available at home depot and some others they are about $1 per foot and come in 4' lengths and are about the same as gutter guard design. If you don't have the smaller stuff like needle and whirly birds etc some of the perforated or screen products might be ok but I have cleaned many a gutter that have this type of protection and it usually just makes the cleaning of the gutter more time consuming.

Post Your Comment
10/31/15 @ 2:57 PM
RichManitoba
RichManitoba
USER since 5/22/15
mendota, unfortunately the company we talked about stiffed me on my appointment. They even called the day before just to confirm the time. They never showed. Never called. No excuse for that.

Post Your Comment
10/29/15 @ 10:02 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
installed this in Nov 2012

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003H9LXJ8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

my experience has been very good

have spot checked several times, and they are still in good shape and water flows thru them, even in a heavy rain

I don't have any pine needles, just some sycamore, maple and birch leaves and assorted seed dispersal things... leaves still get blown off by the wind... ( so not sure how they perform with pine needles or other kind of gutter debris )

the price when I bought was $55 for 32' , now it's a little pricey on Amazon, but still cheaper than some other solutions, but you can buy at local hardware stores too, and I did because I needed just a few extra sections.

so, just tossing this out for consideration

Note: have to have the K style gutter, 5", see details at their website

Post Your Comment
10/29/15 @ 8:23 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
Double Down I am curious to know how that pip works for you, could be a much easier method of keeping leave out

Post Your Comment
10/28/15 @ 11:46 AM
cabinbum
cabinbum
USER since 4/1/10
gutter helmet,ripon wi

Post Your Comment
10/28/15 @ 11:32 AM
mendota
mendota
MEMBER since 12/19/01
Brother works for a local gutter installer here in Madison; they install the clip-on heavy duty screens, and laugh derisively at all the other products out there.

I have the screens on my home, they work, and allow for occasional flushing to clear them of roof gravel, mostly.

My brother will also tell you that a properly pitched gutter will keep itself a lot cleaner.....

Post Your Comment
10/28/15 @ 11:20 AM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
Prop...you could try hanging the gutters lower so the snow/ice slides over the top. Or fasten them to the rafter tails but through the face of the gutter. Hard to get away from snow retention bars... they can save your vehicle, air conditioner or even save someone from getting hurt.

Post Your Comment
10/28/15 @ 11:11 AM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
While I can't comment on any specific brands...as a former roofer I have seen many different types. The one thing they have in common is a lot depends on the pitch of your roof. If the water doesn't come off the roof with enough force..the "self cleaning" effect is lost.

Post Your Comment
10/28/15 @ 11:11 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03
Our house came with those mesh grates on the gutters. We go up once a year to make sure they are all secure, and we still use the hose to flush debris out of the gutters, but they do seem to work pretty good.

I too am curious to see responses on this thread. If there is something better, I'd love to hear about it.

Post Your Comment
10/28/15 @ 11:07 AM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03
We had a metal style on our gutters on our cabin. They worked good till we put a metal roof on. Ice and snow sliding off ripped most of them off. Don't mean to hijack the thread but would love to know someone's experience with leaf guards and metal roofs. Rather not have the ice stop bar across the whole roof if don't have to.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts