GREEN BAY PACKERS

7/31/02 @ 6:12 PM
ORIGINAL POST
tim
tim
USER since 6/19/01
Green Bay Packers. Lets talk.........................
Edited on 1/15/12 8:30 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 51 to 60 of 57,698 Posts
10/10/18 @ 1:18 PM
ibfishn
ibfishn
USER since 8/2/01
To a point yes. I would love to see aspects of it integrated into what we do now. 

Post Your Comment
10/10/18 @ 1:12 PM
olswampdog
olswampdog
USER since 10/6/04

So IB you want to see GB run NE's offense. Gronk down the middle, Edelman crossing underneath, and I'll throw in James White out of the backfield or lined up wide....lol.

Post Your Comment
10/10/18 @ 11:07 AM
ibfishn
ibfishn
USER since 8/2/01
Our WRs are good enough to win with. Our scheme isn't.  MM runs his offense outside the hashs...that's a big part of the reason TEs struggle here. We just dont run guys down the seam. I've been down on Cobb for awhile now but objectively I'm not sure if that's all him or partly the offense.  Cobb should be getting the ball in the middle of the field working short crossing patterns where he can catch it on the fly and run with it. We just dont have that in this offense.  In short yardage...someone PLEASE tell me why we dont have a package that lines ESB up outside and then puts him in motion coming behind the slot guy. Snap the ball right before ESB gets there, slot guy takes two steps forward to pick both defenders and ESB runs a quick slant inside that. Even if someone gets around the pick Rodgers is still throwing it up to a 6'5" target.

Post Your Comment
10/10/18 @ 11:01 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03

You'll get no argument from me about either of those posts, IB.

To illustrate where a players heart lies...."“Right now, I’m playing each and every game like it’s my last. I don’t think I’m going to be here next year,” Clinton-Dix said. “That’s how I look at it. I just [have to] be honest with myself. You’ve got to play it game-by-game. Whether we’re losing by 60 points, you’ve got to go out there and perform. This is my biggest interview of my career. So I’ve got to perform, regardless of what the record says.”

Bye Bye Ha Ha

It isn't an awful quote, but it illustrates that this is a business.  There is not talk about team there, or getting to the playoffs, or winning a Super Bowl.  Right there is a guy putting himself and his stats above that of the team.  (...you got to go out there and perform.  ...biggest interview of my career.) Now, in and of itself, this isn't rare.  Guys in contract years pretty much think in those terms, but they don't necessarily say it out loud for someone to quote.

And..as far as his quote goes?  He's regressed.  He isn't a hitter.  He isn't a coverage safety and he is routinely a step or two late.  Someone is going to pay him because he grabs INTS as he is another one of those guys that the ball kind kind of finds.  But...he's an average safety right now.  He will benefit from a change of scenery.

I saw a post about Clay.  I used to defend Clay.  I can't anyone.  He's cashing paychecks that he isn't earning.

Post Your Comment
10/10/18 @ 10:50 AM
ibfishn
ibfishn
USER since 8/2/01
Part of the problem with WR is that TT was so bad in his last 4 or 5 drafts and had so many holes to fill on the roster that he couldn't afford to use a higher pick for a WR that likely wouldn't see the field because of the veterans on the roster.  Add guys like Davis, Yancy, Janis and Montgomery never really developing and the cupboards got pretty bare in a hurry.

Post Your Comment
10/10/18 @ 10:46 AM
ibfishn
ibfishn
USER since 8/2/01

Green Bays offense.....where TEs go to die. 

Post Your Comment
10/10/18 @ 10:45 AM
watspan
watspan
USER since 8/3/12

the pack were foolish to rush Rodgers contract through early before finding out what effect 13 screws has on his abilities.

Clay is a waste of $11M--he hasn't been an impact player for years and has a chronic injury situation.

Rodgers is the pack's biggest problem--his salary sucks all the oxygen out of the room and leaves little for the defense & special teams to hire a quality supporting cast.  no team balance

Post Your Comment
10/10/18 @ 10:34 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03

IB...I listed ALL free agents.  No cherry picking.  The lack of young guys on there illustrates the fact that the prior drafts have been terrible.  So poor that guys have been cut.  That list should have 3 or 4 "must" guys to be re-signed...those are the guys busting their tail to show they deserve that lucrative second contract.  Our guys on the list are old and paid, for the most part.

And...I maintain that Jordy would be fine in GB with Rodgers.  Aaron would see to it.  Yes he lost speed, big time.  He would have gotten by, for this year, on veteran savvy.  Again, not saying that getting rid of him was the wrong move...we know it was him or Cobb.  And likely it is him AND Cobb next year as Cobb is done.

What was scary was that last year was the first year, in a while, that GB didn't have a young ascending WR.  Adams to me was already established.  GMO is what he is...a good 3rd.  Poor 2nd.  Never will be a 1.  And behind GMO, we had no one coming on strong.  That is probably why I got so excited for Kumerow.  He looked like he had been in the system for 3 years and his was "getting it".  He just looked more decisive on the field than the rookies did.

Someone posted about Rodgers and the ESPN highlight reel.  I don't buy into that.  I don't think Rodgers really cares about being on Sportscenter.  But...there is some merit to the statement, and I've heard Rodgers and Mac say this...when he get a big play, I think 25+ yards, your odds of scoring a TD go up dramatically.  So, our QB looks there all the time.  Rodgers studies the game a lot and I think he's trying to maximize his scoring opportunities.  As IB has lamented for quite some time, he should take those check downs and get 10-12 yard chunks that will open up that downfield stuff.

Post Your Comment
10/10/18 @ 10:26 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03

Couple things, Drahs, and remember that I agree with you on a lot of things, these two points, though, we differ on.

"Using that logic vege then that would explain why Rodgers is playing so poorly I guess. He's old and paid. So is a guy like Brees but I guess Brees has more character"---Drahs...  I think you are saying this tongue in cheek.  But I think there is merit to this statement.  Rodgers is old and paid.  He has a ring.  Either he isn't taking to the head coaches plays/schemes/gameplans, or the head coach is just rotten.  Or a little of both.  Brees buys into the Payton gameplan.  Each and every game.  Brees doesn't miss wide open passes. (Look at his completion percentage)  I don't follow him all that much, but I don't recall him throwing his coach under the bus...most every year.  There is something to be said about the character of Rodgers versus the character of Brees.  IMO of course. 

"These guys are professionals, they all want to not only win but play their best game. Head cases like Marcelus Bennett do exist but are the exception, not the norm."--Drahs.  I think you are a little off on this point.  To these players, this game is a way to get paid.  Winning gets you paid, yes, but the ultimate goal is to make money.  Same thing for the franchise.  Winning it all is great, but making money is what it is ultimately all about.  Along the way?  Players want to win that first Super Bowl...or, just as importantly, secure that second contract.  After that?  Most guys are happy to play it out and continue to get paid.  I've seen it too many times and read too many quotes from guys saying as much.

In my opinion, this is the concept that too many of us fans fail to realize.  The goal of the NFL employee, just like us, is to get paid.  They show up, they play the game, they get paid.  It is that easy.  We fans care more about winning than the players do.  As a fan, I want to believe that isn't true...but there Clay is yucking it up on the sidelines as his team is getting throttled, again, in Detroit.  He didn't care at all.  You looked around that field and there was a lot of not caring.  

This is not high school football, or even college football where winning was the ultimate goal.  This is the business of the NFL.  

Post Your Comment
10/9/18 @ 9:47 PM
Edge
Edge
USER since 2/28/07

You tubes need to stay on you tube. Screws up my phone view.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 51 to 60 of 57,698 Posts