GREEN BAY PACKERS

7/31/02 @ 5:12 PM
ORIGINAL POST
tim
tim
USER since 6/19/01
Green Bay Packers. Lets talk.........................
Edited on 1/15/12 7:30 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 59,719 Posts
TODAY @ 9:10 AM
PSE
PSE
MEMBER since 11/25/05

If the Packers happen to make the playoffs.

1. It means they earned it 

2. they have momentum

3. they are getting healthy

4. the playoffs are a whole different scenario, you never know.

Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 9:04 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03
Western, I'll take the other side.  No reason to get into the playoffs if you have no legitimate chance at doing anything when in there.  Stay out and get the better draft picks.  This team lost to Detroit and Arizona for crying out loud.

Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 9:03 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03

GoKansas, true, you can't pick your competition.  But if you watch games, you will see that GB doesn't create much of a pass rush.  A lot of sacks are coverage sacks and they've feasted on weak teams.  This team needs a young Clay Matthews, or someone like that, that can get the edge and make the quarterback move in the pocket.

IB posted it correctly, Pettine is great at scheming for a sack.  But better teams line up 4 guys and beat your guys.  Heck, you see it that way against GB every single week.  If your 4 can get home, it allows you play man/zone games behind them and confuse the QB.  (Only GB is so bad, they can double blitz the A gap and our QB can't find the open guy quick enough.)

You see who the leading "sackers" are on the Packers?  Fackrell and his 8 sacks.  3 against Buffalo, 3 against Seattle.  Two very, very poor offensive lines.  2 in the other 11 games.  None in the past 3.  Kyler doesn't win quickly, or flash by a QB and make him move.

Clark has 6 sacks, he doesn't win quickly.  Martinez has 4, he's getting them blitzing and spying.  Daniels only has 2.  Clay has 3.5.

This team needs an edge with the ability to win quickly.  

Free agency wise, let's just say that Fackrell is the real deal.  He will be 28 next year when he hits free agency.  Anyone comfortable giving him 8-11M/year over 4 years?  While I like Kyler, age and lack of production early in his career would keep me from offering him that deal.  But if he gets another sack this year, then gets 8-10 again next year, that is the deal he is going to get.

GB needs Edges. Draft one, high.  Get a mid tier one in free agency.  Draft another one next year.

Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 6:07 AM
Western Extreme
Western Extreme
USER since 12/17/17

Now how big is that call against matthews that cost us the Queens game? All 5 teams would be 6&7 and would would u favor. Not Washington, Carolina, or Philadelphia. So it's down to Packers and Queens. The way the queens offense is looking I can easily see them losing out 

Post Your Comment
12/10/18 @ 9:45 PM
grizwald
grizwald
USER since 2/6/09

I thought the pack had the toughest schedule this season? Been a tough season. Been in most games but can't finish. They will be better next season.lot of picks and cap money. Gosh I love the packers!

Post Your Comment
12/10/18 @ 9:35 PM
gokansasbadgers
gokansasbadgers
USER since 11/4/10

Sacks wise...look at who the sacks came against. Poor teams.  

LOL.. okay.. And look at the teams that are ahead of Packers for sacks and guess who they got their sacks against? oh bad teams.  Sorry, but every single NFL team plays a bad team once in a while, the Packers just are one of the teams that can capitalize on sacks when they play one of those bad teams.  

And also, as of a little over a month ago, the Packers were Ranked 9th in total QB Pressure.  Which is above average.  So realistically speaking, the Packers are above average in Pass Rushing.  

Edited on 12/10/18 9:49 PM
Post Your Comment
12/10/18 @ 9:26 PM
rpole
rpole
USER since 6/18/01

they were talking about the 'pass rush' and amount of sacks on the radio a week or 2 ago.  and some gave credit to Pettine and rightfully so, on using dbacks etc to get at the QB.  but none talked about how if they don't get home with a blitzing corner or safety, it leaves the rest vulnerable.  to me a 'pass rush' doesn't involve gimmics and dbacks.  that stuff is great when it works but puts pressure on the rest of the D.   the Bears, unfortunately have a very good true pass rush.   hope like heck they are smart and do what they did the first game with quick passes.  if Rodgers wants the big play too often, he may not finish the game.   fingers crossed the whole team puts it together again and knock the Bears off!!!

side note, that was just one heck of a catch by Diggs!  dang!!!!

Post Your Comment
12/10/18 @ 6:44 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03

McKenzie’s fate was sealed when the Raiders hired Gruden and anointed him as their czar. His overall record with Oakland wasn’t the best but that organization is the epitome of dysfunctional. He guided them out of the salary cap hell that Al Davis left them in. They did have a 12 win season not too long ago and then the wheels fell off and they brought in that carpetbagger for a coach. Sure, Gruden won a Super Bowl in Tampa but this time around he won’t be riding on the coattails of a program built by Tony Dungy. 

Post Your Comment
12/10/18 @ 6:33 PM
IceManKimi
IceManKimi
USER since 7/20/07

ibfishn reported earlier that Reggie McKenzie got whacked. That's another guy that over-stayed his welcome like Thompson did. 

I'm glad Packer Nation is smart enough not to post that we've got to get him. 

Post Your Comment
12/10/18 @ 5:44 PM
River Gnat
River Gnat
USER since 8/28/18

Bears only 5pt favs at home due to their anemic offense! Defense great but unlike Rams, Rodgers will not throw picks and the Pack plays well in cold weather. Winnable game if offensive line is intact and they aren't playing for draft positioning! One way or another, Pack always finds a way to beat the Bears!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 59,719 Posts