GREEN BAY PACKERS

7/31/02 @ 5:12 PM
ORIGINAL POST
tim
tim
USER since 6/19/01
Green Bay Packers. Lets talk.........................
Edited on 1/15/12 7:30 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 60,647 Posts
1/21/19 @ 4:22 PM
olswampdog
olswampdog
USER since 10/6/04

"A staff that week after week comes up with a great game plan that when executed by the players generally ends with a win."

"He called that last run that scored a TD. He called the Gronk slant. He called the Gronk sideline throw. He called the slants to Edelman. He called the Gronk chips...."

IB and Vegas, you guys provide me with so much fodder that its amazing you can't see the forest for the trees.

If Romo can see what's coming, so can the defense. Yet the Patriots make the play go. I've said it time and again when it gets down to it, its about what IB? Execution, by the players winning the one on one's. Jimmy Johnson said it in the pregame its about the players. The talking heads reverberated it this morning. The players on New England execute.

How much execution did the players on the Packers do...including the QB.

Post Your Comment
1/21/19 @ 3:39 PM
PSE
PSE
MEMBER since 11/25/05

Congrats to Marshfield native Adam Stenavich becoming Packers new offensive line coach. I was fortunate to coach Adam in football and baseball while he was in high school. He was an excellent student, very nice young man and comes from a great family. Really happy for him.

Post Your Comment
1/21/19 @ 1:19 PM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03

Morgan B said he wanted out because they used him primarily as a LB in their dime scheme.  Which is how he was used here.  He is not a centerfielder, never has been.  I doubt he would want to come back, based on how we used him when he was here.

Post Your Comment
1/21/19 @ 1:08 PM
ibfishn
ibfishn
USER since 8/2/01

Burnett really doesn't offer anything to help us at safety. He was never any good at playing center field and was generally used up by the line of scrimmage, a position that by the end of the year Jones had started coming into his own at. I would take Jones there over Burnett.

Vegas, I think it's likely that with the exception of Clay they bring all those guys back...at least if they can resign the ones that are FA.  

There just is no real reason to cut a guy like Perry this year.  Too much dead cap money to eat just to save a few million dollars. If healthy he is alot better than anyone who you can get to replace him at that price.

Graham's future with the team probably depends alot on what LaFleur's idea are for a TE. If he wants that position to be a major part of the passing game they keep him, if they are looking for a  locking TE who can give you 30 or 40 receptions a year then he is probably gone.

Clay would have to be willing to accept a role as a situational player at the ILB position...something I'm not sure he would be willing to do.

Mo needs another chance. He will come cheap and at the very least provides good depth inside.  While those other guys were serviceable inside none of them showed any signs of being anything other than solid rotational players. 

Post Your Comment
1/21/19 @ 12:52 PM
kona77
kona77
USER since 6/20/13

I saw a report about Morgan Burnett wanting out of his contract.. I know he did not play much last year (injury part of it) and the Steelers wanted him to play more as a dime/linebacker role.. He was never a speed guy but was always assigment sure and a great locker room/team guy. Assume he would have to consider a drop in pay and play on the back end with Josh Jones in the mix. Tramon was serviceable but would like to see him back at CB (if he makes the team)

I know Earl Thomas and other options are out there but we do need help at safety and I beleive most LL's would like to see some veteran help.  Thoughts on Burnett?

Post Your Comment
1/21/19 @ 12:24 PM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03

Yup, about all you can do right now is cross the fingers and hope.  It is kind of like a science experiment.  

They have the draft ammunition and salary cap space to really nail the off-season.  

Here are some big things for them to consider now...

1) Breeland.  I think he's a no-brainer to be re-signed.  He's a good corner and great depth.  I think he said that he wants to come back, which would be wise.

2) Perry.  June 1 cut (to defray some cost)? Or hope he's healthy and the power edge that this defense needs.  That is a tough one.

3) Mo.  To re-sign again, or not.  I'm inclined to give him another "prove it" deal, but we shall see.  I can see them wanting to get younger there, too.  And this draft is loaded with DL's.

4) Tramon.  Cut or keep?  Can clear about 4.75M.  He has a high salary for a safety, if that is what he is going to play.

5) Mike Daniels.  Another one with a tougher contract for that production.  I think they keep him in a contract year and hope for the best.

6) Jimmy Graham.  Financially they would be wise to keep him rather than absorb the hit to let him go.  But...if you look at contract for production, that was a bad deal last year.

7) Clay.  Franchise cornerstone for years.  Sacks just weren't there.  Older.  Gute moved on from Jordy, probably wise to move on from Clay.  But what if no market materializes for him?  Lower end deal to backup EDGE and ILB?  I think he's one that you let sit in free agency for a while and then see how the draft develops.

Those are at the top of my head, outside of the draft.  Going to be a busy off-season.

Post Your Comment
1/21/19 @ 11:58 AM
IceManKimi
IceManKimi
USER since 7/20/07

Romo was being discussed on the NFL topic, too. I think right now he's the best analyst on TV, but it's too bad he's teamed with arrogant Jim Nance, who CBS should just keep on the golf courses. 

QBs have to be intelligent and he seems to be very humble and genuine. He IS from Wisconsin, so that is just natural. 

The more I read about our new coaches, the more I want to see this team in August. I think the combo of younger offensive coaches with the defensive coaches just a little older will bring new life to the team. 

*Fingers crossed, boys*

Post Your Comment
1/21/19 @ 11:50 AM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03

I agree with Drahts.  Romo has been this good since his first broadcast.  He has an amazing football IQ.  He seems to know what every team is trying to do and is rarely wrong.  And when you think about it, it isn't that surprising.  He was pretty successful in the NFL despite not being the most physically gifted athlete.  I wish the Packers would hire him as defensive coordinator!  

Post Your Comment
1/21/19 @ 11:50 AM
FriFishFry
FriFishFry
USER since 6/3/06

Romo is good no doubt. Sometimes it gets a bit irritating predicting the plays but he can read them coming for sure

Maybe I am prejudiced towards radio guys, but Mark Tauscher who does Badgers games is fun and informative to listen to. He watches the trenches and o-line play and I like that perspective as a change

Post Your Comment
1/21/19 @ 11:25 AM
Drahts
Drahts
USER since 9/8/17

Romo is the best in terms of insight, and he has been doing this since his first broadcast.  Nothing new, he is that good.  Others have similar insight, but they can't project it like Romo can.  Aikman would be one example.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 60,647 Posts