GREEN BAY PACKERS

7/31/02 @ 5:12 PM
ORIGINAL POST
tim
tim
USER since 6/19/01
Green Bay Packers. Lets talk.........................
Edited on 1/15/12 7:30 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 55,272 Posts
TODAY @ 8:27 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03

Couple of my takeaways from watching the end of the Jag/Pats game and most of the Eagles/Vikings game.

If you believe you are an elite team, invest in a quality backup quarterback that has played games in the NFL.

Pass rushers and corners are the premium positions outside of quarterback.  You cannot have enough of them.  Get them however you can, draft, free agency or trade.  Darby went to Philly via a trade for Jordan Matthews, a WR.  Good corner is better than a good WR.  Gilmour made the play of the game in NE...acquired as a corner via free agency.  Philly has tons of pass rushers...some acquired via draft, some as free agents.  Keep getting them.

In the draft, if taking a WR or RB, over a corner or pass rusher, that player had better be significantly better, like a full tier or two better.  Because they just do not impact the game as much as a good corner or pass rusher.

Post Your Comment
1/19/18 @ 4:34 PM
ibfishn
ibfishn
USER since 8/2/01
Murman, I have thought that way for a couple years now and in alot of ways still do.  The problem is who do we replace him with? There just isn't going to be anyone out there in FA, we would have to hit on one in the draft.  I expect Pettine to find ways to get the most out of him. And then they will reevaluate where he is next season as far as if they want to offer him a new contract. 

Post Your Comment
1/19/18 @ 4:31 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

Might see him in a Johnsonville commercial or something like that.

Post Your Comment
1/19/18 @ 4:23 PM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

Anyone think we will ever hear of BJ Raji again ? 

Post Your Comment
1/19/18 @ 2:52 PM
murman
murman
USER since 11/4/08

Hopefully the Packers either restructure Matthew's contract or dump  him.  He is no longer worth 11.4 mil, when he misses 2-3 games a year putting him at 7 sacks.  Pretty much a waste for 11.4 mil.  That money could be spent and well used many other places! 

Edited on 1/19/18 2:53 PM
Post Your Comment
1/19/18 @ 2:27 PM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03

IB...read the Woodson quotes in the link...he addresses that concerning Whitt.

I think what you will see is that the coaches that are retained will have more of their own input in what gets taught...so long as their views are either sold to Pettine and he's bought it, or the assistant's will be echoing Pettine's voice.

And I'm good with all of that.  Whitt is talented and has made chicken salad out of chicken tihs many times.

Post Your Comment
1/19/18 @ 1:51 PM
ibfishn
ibfishn
USER since 8/2/01

Honestly I would rather see everyone from the old defensive staff gone.....Unless Pettine himself is leading the charge to keep them.   It has nothing to do with the quality of coaches that they are I just would prefer to see a complete break from Capers and new voices for the players. 

Those guys are good coaches and would land somewhere. 

Post Your Comment
1/19/18 @ 8:21 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03

Just a thought on Trog....perhaps he thought he was in line for the DC job?  When he was told he wouldn't get that, I'm thinking he asked to be released and go join Gruden.  Probably had a conversation or two with Jon before it happened.  Just a guess.

You keep Whitt and Perry because those two guys are excellent football coaches.  Maybe Whitt over Perry.  Look at Woodson's endorsement of Whitt...

Woodson on Whitt

Really miss Charles.  GB hasn't had a player or leader like him since he left.

Post Your Comment
1/18/18 @ 4:23 PM
Drahts
Drahts
USER since 9/8/17

Injuries were our problem in the backfield this year among the starters.  lack of experience and quality as backups after the frontline guys were gone.  House, King, Burnett all missed too much time or were limited playing with injuries.  Trg it was rumored wanted to be seriously considered for the coordinator job.  When he was not, he chose to part.

Post Your Comment
1/18/18 @ 3:58 PM
IceManKimi
IceManKimi
USER since 7/20/07

I was surprised they whacked Mike Trgovac, but kept Perry and Whitt. Where was our weakness? Defensive back-field.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 55,272 Posts