Garden ideas ?

3/22/15 @ 7:56 PM
ORIGINAL POST
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02
My flower garden has to be redone . Right now I have bark mulch for weed control . Problem is the stupid dog eats it sometimes with a mess following in the house later or even worse surgical removal . Stones would probably be the same . Maybe just plant a thick groundcover ? .
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
3/22/15 @ 10:20 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Mulch disappears over time. it composts,enriching the soil. You can never change your mind with stone "mulch" and it does no good for a garden.

I like bark/wood mulch. Many municipalities give away a decent tub-ground shredded wood mulch. It has the occasional noxious weed seed but it's not bad stuff.

I do NOT like "enviro-mulch. It's shredded pallets and construction debris. There's the occasional nail and it takes a long time to compost....Dyed unnatural colors? Blue mulch? Yuck.

There's tough groundcovers but they take a while to get going. Or seed with hardy annual flowers and keep the mutt out until it gets established.

Or plant grass.

Post Your Comment
3/22/15 @ 9:33 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Yeah, some dogs are true nut jobs. Mine eats things that are unmentionable and gross. Going to be 17 y/o in june and she still runs around like she is 7 y/o. Could be the dog needs more excercise, like longer walks on the leash or just more food or better food. Horses are similar, like dogs they will chew on wood or their own feces. Some say its a malnutrition issue.

Post Your Comment
3/22/15 @ 8:11 PM
Twister
Twister
USER since 6/15/01
You might get more ideas if you go to the vegetable garden thread.

Put an electric fence around the flower garden or shoot the dog.

Edited on 3/22/15 8:12 PM
Post Your Comment