Furnace

2/26/15 @ 6:38 PM
ORIGINAL POST
wet-net
wet-net
USER since 1/8/03
I need to buy a new furnace. This will be a two stage my choices are Lennox,Bryant,Rheem. The furnace I have now one of the stages went out so its running but in energy mode . How long it would last in that mode? I do have wood for back up heat.
Edited on 2/26/15 6:39 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 44 Posts
2/19/16 @ 9:21 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
If your builder is recommending one, I would assume that Honeywell makes one... Just saying that I have not seen a Honeywell furnace in years and years - certainly not a new one. Are you sure it is Honeywell? If Honeywell is making furnaces, it's news to me...

At any rate, American Standard is a decent unit, and ranks high in Consumer Reports. If you have to pick one, that is where I'd go.

Post Your Comment
2/19/16 @ 9:12 PM
jr8368
jr8368
USER since 2/5/16
Thats interesting. My builder is recommending one or the other so there must be a Honeywell furnace out there somewhere.

Post Your Comment
2/19/16 @ 8:52 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
American Standard is manufactured by Trane and is a decent unit. I would not have any concerns with purchasing one.

Honeywell on the other hand, I have not seen one in years... Current manufactures off the top of my head include Carrier, Amana, Rheem, Rhuud, Lennox, York, Goodman, Heil, Trane, Westinghouse, Weatherking, Bryant, Coleman - I'm sure I'm missing a few...

I don't believe Honeywell makes a a furnace anymore - they do lots of controls though... Flame sensors, gas valves, contactors, humidifiers, limit switches etc...

Post Your Comment
2/19/16 @ 7:37 PM
jr8368
jr8368
USER since 2/5/16
Can anybody comment on experience with American Standard or Honeywell gas furnaces?

Post Your Comment
2/14/16 @ 9:26 AM
unclesmallie
unclesmallie
USER since 8/26/01
I'm a wood guy. Good heat, and a great way cook my venison chili.

Post Your Comment
10/28/15 @ 5:09 PM
RichManitoba
RichManitoba
USER since 5/22/15
River chaser -- I have the Model 2200 (Space Guard) AprilAire High Efficiency Air Cleaner. I'm sure that's what you have.

The upgrade is part #1213. It was installed for me but I think the cost was about $80.00 for the conversion. Well worth it in my opinion. If you're mechanically inclined, I bet you can do it yourself.

The new filter for the upgrade is #213. They are about $45.00, but they last one year. Just slide out the old, slide in the new.

Post Your Comment
10/27/15 @ 9:06 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Thanks Rich , I will look into that. Yes I have the april aire

Post Your Comment
10/27/15 @ 8:01 PM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07
I just replaced my 16 year old Goodman, had a few pricey repairs at the 12 year mark. Many builders put them in. Just put a new lennox in through Landmark cooperative, they are a Costco dealer. 16% costco reward card on the cost of the furnace.

Post Your Comment
10/27/15 @ 10:20 AM
RichManitoba
RichManitoba
USER since 5/22/15
River chaser , is this for an AprilAire unit? If it is, go out and buy an upgrade kit, or have it installed for you. I did that at the time I replaced my A/C unit. The new filter replacement takes minutes to install instead of messing around with those combs, etc. That old system used to take a half hour.

You can see by the picture it comes in a small box. Just open the box and the filter expands like an accordion. The just slide it on the tracks. No combs, nothing to break, done.

Post Your Comment
10/27/15 @ 9:48 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
my furnace uses a 2200/2250 filter with those plastic combs. The combs are mostly broken now and replacements are unavailable at a reasonable price. Anyone know of any alternatives? Use a different filter?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 44 Posts