Furnace

2/26/15 @ 6:38 PM
ORIGINAL POST
wet-net
wet-net
USER since 1/8/03
I need to buy a new furnace. This will be a two stage my choices are Lennox,Bryant,Rheem. The furnace I have now one of the stages went out so its running but in energy mode . How long it would last in that mode? I do have wood for back up heat.
Edited on 2/26/15 6:39 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 44 Posts
2/19/16 @ 9:21 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
If your builder is recommending one, I would assume that Honeywell makes one... Just saying that I have not seen a Honeywell furnace in years and years - certainly not a new one. Are you sure it is Honeywell? If Honeywell is making furnaces, it's news to me...

At any rate, American Standard is a decent unit, and ranks high in Consumer Reports. If you have to pick one, that is where I'd go.

Post Your Comment
2/19/16 @ 8:52 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
American Standard is manufactured by Trane and is a decent unit. I would not have any concerns with purchasing one.

Honeywell on the other hand, I have not seen one in years... Current manufactures off the top of my head include Carrier, Amana, Rheem, Rhuud, Lennox, York, Goodman, Heil, Trane, Westinghouse, Weatherking, Bryant, Coleman - I'm sure I'm missing a few...

I don't believe Honeywell makes a a furnace anymore - they do lots of controls though... Flame sensors, gas valves, contactors, humidifiers, limit switches etc...

Post Your Comment
2/14/16 @ 9:26 AM
unclesmallie
unclesmallie
USER since 8/26/01
I'm a wood guy. Good heat, and a great way cook my venison chili.

Post Your Comment
10/28/15 @ 5:09 PM
RichManitoba
RichManitoba
USER since 5/22/15
River chaser -- I have the Model 2200 (Space Guard) AprilAire High Efficiency Air Cleaner. I'm sure that's what you have.

The upgrade is part #1213. It was installed for me but I think the cost was about $80.00 for the conversion. Well worth it in my opinion. If you're mechanically inclined, I bet you can do it yourself.

The new filter for the upgrade is #213. They are about $45.00, but they last one year. Just slide out the old, slide in the new.

Post Your Comment
10/27/15 @ 9:06 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Thanks Rich , I will look into that. Yes I have the april aire

Post Your Comment
10/27/15 @ 8:01 PM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07
I just replaced my 16 year old Goodman, had a few pricey repairs at the 12 year mark. Many builders put them in. Just put a new lennox in through Landmark cooperative, they are a Costco dealer. 16% costco reward card on the cost of the furnace.

Post Your Comment
10/27/15 @ 10:20 AM
RichManitoba
RichManitoba
USER since 5/22/15
River chaser , is this for an AprilAire unit? If it is, go out and buy an upgrade kit, or have it installed for you. I did that at the time I replaced my A/C unit. The new filter replacement takes minutes to install instead of messing around with those combs, etc. That old system used to take a half hour.

You can see by the picture it comes in a small box. Just open the box and the filter expands like an accordion. The just slide it on the tracks. No combs, nothing to break, done.

Post Your Comment
10/27/15 @ 9:48 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
my furnace uses a 2200/2250 filter with those plastic combs. The combs are mostly broken now and replacements are unavailable at a reasonable price. Anyone know of any alternatives? Use a different filter?

Post Your Comment
10/26/15 @ 9:04 PM
Fishscales
Fishscales
USER since 3/2/03
10/26/15 still haven't turned on the furnace. This might be the first time in 21 years living at this house that we might not have to turn it on for the month of October.

Post Your Comment
3/7/15 @ 9:15 AM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
The parts warranty is through the manufacturer - Goodman in this case. The labor warranty is through the installing contractor. You can go anywhere you want for service...

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 44 Posts