Furnace

11/23/14 @ 10:52 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Pete Pete Pete
Pete Pete Pete
USER since 12/21/05
Not sure, but it looks like the igniter. At least it's not super cold tonight. Good luck!!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
11/27/14 @ 9:04 AM
Baggs
Baggs
USER since 6/16/01
It's generally a good idea to have a spare igniter on hand as well. My furnace is 15 years old and on the original one. I'm sure when it goes, it will be on a Sunday or a holiday.

Post Your Comment
11/25/14 @ 8:07 AM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
I agree nif,I've had pretty good luck with Amazon too. I replaced the over temp switch on my Kenmore Dryer. Sears wanted $35, Repair Clinic wanted $28, and Amazon only wanted $4, and they shipped it for $3.

I did a quick poke around for OEM flame rods too. The prices were a bit high but not horrible - they do ding you pretty decent for shipping though, darn near the same price as the flame rod...

Also, sometimes you can get an aftermarket flame rod from Universal Parts that will work too.

At any rate, do replace it Nub, it's too cheap not to do... I've been out of the service game for 10 years or so now. But I do recall "no heat" calls where I cleaned the flame rod and got her going again, only for it to fail again... Sometimes the porcelain insulator has a hair line crack that can give you intermittent problems also. If you have to sand it to get it going in a pinch, absolutely the right thing to do, but have a new one on top of your furnace because there is a reasonable change of it giving you grief again.

Post Your Comment
11/25/14 @ 7:37 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
having Plmlk in your corner is a good thing!

I was able to repair my electric dryer using http://www.repairclinic.com/

they have parts and instruction videos that were very nice

I got some parts from them, and some from Amazon that were same exact part, but better pricing

just throwing that into the mix

Post Your Comment
11/24/14 @ 8:33 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
And they purchased it from Auer Steel in Milwaukee JJ...

Auer Steel is the only place this side of Madison to get OEM Carrier parts...

Post Your Comment
11/24/14 @ 8:28 PM
jawjerker
jawjerker
USER since 1/14/02
Pretty sure when I replaced mine I bought it from Reliable Heating in Paddock Lake

Post Your Comment
11/24/14 @ 7:53 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
I am in the trades, I understand that you can find this on-line...

I will say my brother in law's boiler circ. pump went out. He found it on-line for $180, I got it through my wholesaler for $92.

Most manufacture's work through a wholesaler. Try buying a Carrier Furnace from a wholesale anywhere else than Auer Steel in Milwaukee. Let me know the best price you find on-line SFBSG, I can assure that a "Carrier Dealer" can buy it for considerably less. The mark up is up to each dealer.

If someone is selling an OEM part, they are making a buck off of it. If they have an OEM part, they purchased it from the manufacturer.

For Nubby, I'll pass it on for cost, just for being a fellow Linker.

Also, JJ I didn't say "always" but many times after a flame sensor starts giving you grief it is short for the world. They have a protective coating on them that lasts for years. Once you "sand" it off, many times they fail within a year. Not a guaranty as some of them will last for a while, but many of them won't.

Edited on 11/24/14 7:55 PM
Post Your Comment
11/24/14 @ 7:31 PM
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
USER since 6/27/08
I guarantee it can be bought online. Just do an internet search for flame sensor and the brand and model of the furnace. I bought one last year off a website.

Post Your Comment
11/24/14 @ 7:21 PM
jawjerker
jawjerker
USER since 1/14/02
Try any heating/ac business.

I pull and clean my flame sensor every year. Several years back woke up cold in the morning and could here the igniter clicking away on the furnace. Check and the pilot was establish, sensor just didn't know it. Cleaned and good as new

Post Your Comment
11/24/14 @ 7:16 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Send me a PM with the model of your furnace and your address Nubby and I'll track one down for you...

I'll have to get it from one of my wholesalers i.e. Larson, Auer Steel, Design Air, etc... They are usually not available to the general public.

Post Your Comment
11/24/14 @ 6:44 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Cleaning it is a short term fix Nubby - if your furnace is not rectifying flame properly cleaning the flame rod is the first thing to try, especially in a pinch.

Long story short AC current is applied to the flame rod, and if all is working well is rectified into DC current. So long as there is DC current, the flame module knows that life is good, flame is present, and the gas valve can open and ignite the gas. If DC current is not present it closes the gas valve so that your furnace doesn't fill your house with natural gas and explode when your water heater or gas stove ignites.

At any rate, my experience is after you clean them, order a new one, because it is likely to fail again, and cleaning it with emery cloth doesn't always work. Also, Murphy's law is that when it fails again it will be midnight on Christmas with an outdoor temp of -20.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts