Fish Mounts

1/20/16 @ 12:29 PM
ORIGINAL POST
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11
I have several ice fishing trips planned this winter to some credible lakes where I'm HOPING to catch some decent sized panfish. What I was thinking is getting a stringer mount of the fish worth putting on the wall over this ice fishing season (assuming I even catch any). I was wondering if it is realistic to keep fish caught around this time frozen until the end of the ice fishing season (~2.5 months)and if so, what is the best way to preserve them until bringing them to the taxidermist? I've heard all different suggestions of towels, bags of water, freezer paper, etc but was hoping to get a little first hand experience if anyone has any!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
1/30/16 @ 12:00 PM
luvh20
luvh20
USER since 1/19/14
The one thing the taxidermists I've dealt with over the years (about 4 different guys) have told me is to protect the fins.

That's one of the main reasons to wrap it in a wet towel or cloth of some kind. Preferably white to avoid staining.

Post Your Comment
1/21/16 @ 3:49 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
USER since 11/19/09
I was in N. Wisconsin ice fishing and caught 22 inch 6.5 pound Bass. Cut half of the leg off my sweat pants soaked it, put the fish in it wrapped it in a bag and straight to the bait shop / Taxidermist. She took it out and froze it. Nice job done by Aquatic Arts in Tomahawk.

Post Your Comment
1/20/16 @ 1:11 PM
Budman
Budman
USER since 8/17/01
I would suggest calling the taxidermist you plan to use and find out how he/she prefers to have the fish frozen.

Post Your Comment
1/20/16 @ 12:56 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
Post Your Comment
1/20/16 @ 12:37 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I wrap them in a wet towel, then put a bag around it and then put them in the freezer. I forgot about a crappie for 4 years and it was still okay. I don't recommend that though, I was a poor college kid when I caught it. Basically you need to avoid freezer burn, just like any meat you would freeze.

Post Your Comment