Fish Frying Question

7/21/14 @ 8:06 PM
ORIGINAL POST
IceManKimi
IceManKimi
USER since 7/20/07
I haven't been able to deep fry fish on a consistent basis. I believe I can cook anything, but this is driving me nuts. I use Shore Lunch - either original or cornmeal recipe. I do exactly what the box says and have the oil at 375°. It looks and tastes very good, but the breading isn't real crispy. It almost crumbles off when you pick it up. The box calls for egg or milk to dip fillets in. I've been using eggs and after a few fillets into the egg & mix, the mix gets almost like a batter, which I don't want. Should I be using milk? Thanks for the tips.
Edited on 7/21/14 8:06 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 33 Posts
7/24/14 @ 9:42 PM
Pete Pete Pete
Pete Pete Pete
USER since 12/21/05
Another great tip if you are feeding a lot of people and want to eat at the same time is to get a slow cooker good and hot.

Place the well drained/blotted finished product in WITHOUT the cover on.

Post Your Comment
7/24/14 @ 6:51 PM
JethroBodine
JethroBodine
USER since 12/21/01
I think Shore Lunch is overbearing on the spices as well, although I do like it every now and again.

Here's how we deep fry:

Cool daddy deep fryer

Golden Dipt only in two 1 gallon bags, a bowl of lager beer

Shake fillets in Golden Dipt in first bag, dip in beer, shake fillets in second bag

Cook in single layer in Cool Daddy per thickness of fillets till crisp.

Edited on 7/24/14 6:52 PM
Post Your Comment
7/24/14 @ 11:28 AM
Down2erth
Down2erth
USER since 6/21/01
Didn't see anyone mention beer batter for fish frying.. I agree the heat is the key, and the amount of fillets you do at once can kill the oil temp and by the time it recovers you have a bunch of oil soaked breading.. Keep it hot, 350-375, no less no more...

I like the shore lunch "Beer Batter" mix. I'll coat the fillets right after rinsing with the dry mix very lightly, and from there to the batter mix that I keep light not heavy. I coat the fillets first with the dry because it seems to hold the batter better. Cook till golden brown...Good Stuff!

Post Your Comment
7/24/14 @ 9:15 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I agree about the temp being crucial for it turning out decent. Those counter top fryers don't always get hot enough or they can't maintain the temp when you add the fish. They are okay if cranked up all the way, but not the best in my opinion. Even pan frying, it seems easy to let the temp get down and then it absorbs too much oil. I like to use a propane fryer, the temp doesn't drop as drastically when I add the fish and they turn out very good.

I don't mind Shorelunch, but the original one can clump from the egg. Its my one complaint about it. I never ran into it with any other breading. The cornmeal Shorelunch does not do that though and I prefer that anyway. If I do use original, I will try to mix it 50/50 with crushed saltine crackers. I do like Andy's too though. Haven't had many breadings I don't like, whether I made them from scratch or from a box, i think just getting them fried right is the big part.

Edited on 7/24/14 9:16 AM
Post Your Comment
7/23/14 @ 3:41 PM
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
USER since 3/14/06
I think the most important thing is not to try cooking too many fillets at once! The breading is personal taste! My wife likes shore lunch best, I think fry magic probably is mine. But we hardly ever use the same thing twice in a row. Andys, Zatarins, Golden Dipt, whatever. My Dad's favorite was the cheapest, generic, saltine crackers ran through the blender. He would dip them in the breading then in the milk / egg and then back in the breading! One thing I've noticed over the years is that they always seem to taste better if some one else cooks them. Because of cholesterol issues we almost never use milk and egg to dip them any more. Just make sure they are damp but not too wet when you bread them. I have also heard of moistening them with a mustard / water mix before breading them. If you like panfish but don't bake them because they shrivel up too much, try stacking two fillets on top of each other in the pan! They are yummy like that too!

Edited on 7/23/14 3:45 PM
Post Your Comment
7/23/14 @ 2:30 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
That is what I do, works perfect every-time..

Post Your Comment
7/23/14 @ 2:28 PM
denesox
denesox
USER since 2/1/06
iceman, next time go flour, egg, then your breading of choice. The moisture in the eggs will bind with the flour, and keep the breading in place. I have a friend that does this with his shore lunch.

Post Your Comment
7/22/14 @ 7:26 PM
eyesman
eyesman
USER since 1/7/02
Keep in mind if using Andy's Breading that the seasoning in it are very overbearing. The flavor is so strong from the heavy seasonings that the fish flavor is lost. It may be ok as a base to be mixed with unseasoned breading mixes cutting the heavy flavor some. to have crisp but not crunchy breading needs to start with dry fillets, moisture trapped under the breading steams when dropped in oil and causes the soggy breading or breading that falls off the fillet. Another contributing factor to the soggy or peeling fillets is having the oil temp drop from being overloaded. A fillet that crisps quick when dropped in oil will not soak up oil and have the heavy fried flavor. As important as having the oil stay at temp is not to overheat the oil and scorch it or the breading residue in the cooker. Counter-top cookers are notorious for slow recovery time so be cautious about overloading. The texture of the breading also plays a part in crispness, flour based mixes will hold more moisture and absorb more oil than cornmeal based mixes. To double bread a fillet by first coating a wet fillet with flour of breading and then dipping in an egg/milk wash and breading again will give a very heavy coating that can't help but absorb extra oil and trap some moisture under the breading.

Post Your Comment
7/22/14 @ 7:10 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
hehehehe...

You guys made me hungry..

I brought some walleye fillets home from a trip to Wisconsin a couple weeks ago..

Took some flour and added some garlic power, salt and lemon-pepper seasoning. Took the patted dry fillets (oil does not like water) dipped them in the flour mixture, then into eggs then into Panko bread crumbs. Heated oil up in a deep cast iron skillet on my grill got the oil up to 375-380, and did two chunks at a time for 3 minutes per side.. They turned out FANTASTIC !!

Made a vinaigrette coleslaw and a orzo pasta salad to go along with it..

WOW !!

Edited on 7/22/14 7:11 PM
Post Your Comment
7/22/14 @ 7:00 PM
IceManKimi
IceManKimi
USER since 7/20/07
The picture on the right is the fryer I use. It's a Delonghi; the thermostat goes up to 375°. I turn it up as far as I can. "Eyes catcher", to answer your question, I pat dry the fillets, then dip in eggs, then dip in the Shore Lunch and immediately in to the fryer.

Going by all the terrific posts, I think I might me doing too many fillets at a time, thus lowering the oil temp. I will have more patience in the future and even try some of the different breadings you guys posted. Thanks a million!!

PS: All of us on L.L. may not agree politically, etc, but we always put things aside to help others!! Smile

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 33 Posts