General Discussion

Favorite Bourbons?

5/18/18 @ 8:36 AM
INITIAL POST
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Updated...

What I'd buy again....  Eagle Rare.  Blantons.  Old Forrester Prohibition Style.  Very Old Barton 86 proof.  Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.  Elijah Craig Toasted.  Knob Creek Single Barrel.  Knob Creek 12 Year.  Knob Creek Single Barrel Peanut Brittle.  Col EH Taylor Small batch and especially Single Barrel.  McKenna 10 Year.  Michters 10 Year.  Woodford Reserve Oaked.  Weller Antique.  Clover 10 Year.  Pappy Van Winkle.  12 Point Drop Tine.  Calumet Farms 12 Year Black.

Sit the fence on....  New Riff Single Barrel.  Michters.  Jefferson's Ocean (depends on Voyage).  Angel's Envy.  Willet Pot Still Reserve.  Knob Creek.  Noah's Mill.  Stagg Jr (price).  Garrison Brothers Barrel Proof.  Remus Reserve.

Would not buy again....  Buffalo Trace.  Elijah Craig.  Driftless Glen.  Parker Hayes.  Old Granddad 114.  Weller Special Reserve (cost).  Burning Chair.  Garrison Brothers Balmorhea (cost).  Makers Mark.  Makers Mark Cask Strength.  Calumet Farms that is not 12 Year Black.

What I need to try....  Old Forrester (everything but Prohibition).   Non-Oaked Woodford Reserve.  Dickel.  4 Roses (all of them).

Easy to find, easy on the wallet.  Knob Creek Single Barrel.  Very Old Barton 86 proof.  Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.  12 Point Droptine.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 3,176 posts
4/13/24 @ 8:33 PM
Mossy Horns
Mossy Horns
User since 6/15/01
Bottle kill Saturday, I had a few bottles with one drink in them.  I made three WI oldies. First was Old Forester 100 then Four Roses small batch, and finished with Buffalo Trace. ​
4/11/24 @ 8:17 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
John Wick drank Blantons.
4/10/24 @ 5:19 PM
Deertroller
Deertroller
User since 4/30/15
There have been some recent product placements I have seen on TV that I found interesting- and maybe a bit concerning.  Yellowstone showed the Duttons drinking Weller a couple times.  The ranch hands went for Buffalo Trace at the election party.  Last week Mark and Digger were pouring Angels' Envy on Moonshiners and the recent Blue Bloods had a union official and Frank having Blanton's.  Just what we need...   smh
4/8/24 @ 10:59 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
Well, a friend of mine gave me a sample of Round One, finished in amburana barrels.  
Happy I didn't spend money on that bottle.  It's sweet, but the initial taste is kerosene.  Just terrible.
Easily the worst amburana finish that I've had out of Round One, Red Line and Starlight Cigar Blend.

Also?  Picked up two Woodford Reserve Masters Collection Batch Proof bottles.  I had one, but it is disappearing quickly.  Happy to have backups to that bottle!  
4/2/24 @ 7:40 PM
apbtrain
User since 11/11/07
Stopped at a few distilleries around Louisville on the way to Florida.  Elijah Craig Toasted was my favorite. 
4/1/24 @ 3:54 PM
glimmertwin
User since 1/18/11
Thanks Vegas. Think I’ll stick to Dramboui or Countreau for after dinner drinks. But would definitely try some you mentioned…
4/1/24 @ 2:07 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
Glimmertwin,

I do like the Ballotin Bourbon, specifically Bourbon Ball.  This is a desert whiskey, low in proof, lots of sweet.  60 proof.
These other bottles like Starlight Cigar Blend and Red Line Elements Amburana are high proof, like 110 proof.
It's crazy how sweet these amburana barrels can make bourbon.

I feel like Starlight Cigar Blend was around $80-$85.
Red Line Elements was like $75.

I like my bourbon on the sweeter side.  But even these were too sweet for me.  Sip or Two?  Maybe even on small pour?  You bet.  But....if I want multiple pours in an evening, man, that's just too much sweet.
4/1/24 @ 11:59 AM
glimmertwin
User since 1/18/11
Vegas, “milk offa cinnamon toast crunch”amazing analogy.  Told me be toute sweet for me.  Intriguing, I , like I bet most others here, had never heard  of those dessert whiskies. 
Bet they would go down great as “shooters” especially after a big meal. Next time I get to s fancy place for dinner, (sadly rare here in Central Wi.) will try one. 
Dare I ask what you paid for these bottles?
4/1/24 @ 10:16 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
So I went a little crazy with the Amburama bourbons.
I bought Starlight Cigar Blend.  Really liked it.
Heard about Red Line Elements finished in Amburama barrels.  So I got two of them.
I had both this weekend.

If you are going down that rabbit hole of bourbon, here's a review for you.  Both are very sweet.  Like dessert sweet.  A little bit goes a long way with both.

Starlight Cigar Blend has more overall flavor.  It is very forward with sweet vanilla cookie and cinnamon.  But, right after that initial taste is deep tobacco flavor.  It mellows out the sweet quite a bit.  I had some neat, and I really liked it.  I put it over ice?  And it got sweeter.  I do not recommend this one with ice, at least to start.

Red Line Elements, well, I head read that it was better than Starlight Cigar Blend.  I disagree.  It is kind of crazy how sweet it is with cinnamon first, then vanilla cookie.  Graham Cracker.  And?  Nothing else.  Even a neat pour was very sweet and it was only amplified when put over ice.  It is like drinking the ​milk after cinnamon toast crunch cereal....only amplified with sweet.

If you want sweet bourbon for a dessert bottle?  Grab one.  But if you want to sit down and enjoy multiple pours, those are tough bottles.

I heard that Round One has an amburama finish...but I haven't found it yet.  I will try it, when I see it.

And I've had a pour on Penelope Rio.  That is some amazing stuff.  Sweet, but also tropical with hints of rum, pineapple, coconut....etc. Very different from a regular bourbon.
3/26/24 @ 10:31 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
Yup.  Covid was when bourbon prices really exploded.
Regarding frost on the balls, usually a good pair of thermals takes care of that.
But if not?  I found the molds work well and create clear ice balls, when I use bottled water or reverse osmosis water.  Tap water always turns out cloudy.  You just can't trust public entities with your balls.
3/26/24 @ 9:55 AM
hotbait
PRO MEMBER User since 5/16/16
BMR, Vegas, thanks for the info. I might have to get me some ice balls. This little place had ER for 26.00, but then it started moving up. Then it was gone. Covid buyers killed the price. Oh well. Thanks again.
3/26/24 @ 9:02 AM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20
The crystal clear box that I use is pretty nice. If you get them in about the 28 hour mark there’s just gonna be a slight frost on this fear, but you can wipe it off an air crystal clear. Sometimes they come out with no frost and that is awesome.
3/26/24 @ 8:38 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
Were those made in the machine or a mold?  Mine look just like that and they are in a rubber mold.  (Keeps the cooties off.)
Either way, bourbon is better over balls, unless you've manscaped recently.  I gotta look into that machine.
3/26/24 @ 8:35 AM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20
I bathe down by the crick when it’s snowing! I dry off in the snow! Of course me and me balls will fine!
Favorite Bourbons? photo by Bassmaster+recordracks 2
3/26/24 @ 8:27 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
I've never seen Eagle Rare for $26.00.  I've been collecting/hunting bourbon for about 8 years now.  Seems like it was $36.00 for a year or two, then it went up and now?  You just never know.  I've seen it on the shelf for as much as $99 now.  Which is a fail for that bottle.  If I see it under $60, I usually grab it.  Recent bottles were $39.00.  It's been about 4 months since I'd seen a bottle on a shelf.  And prior to that, it was about a year before I had seen one on a shelf.

Which ones give me the buzz??  Anything barrel proof 115 proof or higher.  Probably my favorite drinker is an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof that will tick in at 124 proof.  Recently J Mattingly Single Barrel treated me nicely.

You should reach out to BMR about his ice balls and see if he is okay.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 3,176 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE