drilling a well

4/20/15 @ 2:26 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
USER since 8/23/01
We have a neighbor who needed a well drilled. Had a few quotes given that ranged from 90-105ft down. Work was done last week. Driller said they had to go down 375 ft for enough water. The yard is a mess. Does she have any recourse? As you may or may not know, the cost is by the foot. Big change in quote VS actual. Thanks
Edited on 4/20/15 2:27 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
4/24/15 @ 10:18 PM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02
Have to go to where the good water is . The driller could have stopped at the first water found . Instead they went for good water. Most drillers have logs and share info as to depth and quality .

Post Your Comment
4/21/15 @ 7:04 PM
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
USER since 8/23/01
no reference to yard...just workmanlike manner according to standard pratices

Post Your Comment
4/21/15 @ 6:39 PM
qdmaguy
qdmaguy
USER since 6/14/10
"should the well driller take care of ruts etc"

What does the work contract say?

Post Your Comment
4/21/15 @ 6:36 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Chitowners are just glad that the stockyards and butcher shops are no longer dumping into the Chicago River Big Smile

Post Your Comment
4/21/15 @ 5:55 PM
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
USER since 8/23/01
thanks for the input my flatlander friend.

Post Your Comment
4/21/15 @ 4:14 PM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
MEMBER since 3/4/06
Wow I believe in pure water but living in Chicago and not having that problem of drilling down countless of feet to get to the promised land,is it worth it? Probably so!! I'll Take my chances as to what I have here and now!!! Smile

Post Your Comment
4/21/15 @ 3:10 PM
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
USER since 8/23/01
it was pounded. the yard is a mess. should the well driller take care of ruts etc

Post Your Comment
4/21/15 @ 11:48 AM
8 pointer
8 pointer
USER since 2/12/13
Was it a drilled well or a pounded well? Alot of the drillers will drill down to a certain point and call it good. When I had our well done one guy said he had to drill to 300 feet and that would be 10-$15000 and I had a quote from a guy that pounds the wells and he was way cheaper. I ask him why the differance and he explained that when he pounds the wells he starts looking for good water at 120' and gos from there. The guy that drills a well wont stop till they hit a certain footage to look for water pushing the price up. our well is at 168' and cost me $5500

Post Your Comment
4/20/15 @ 3:22 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
In the long run its better to have the well at deeper levels where your assured of not being affected by the next drought. Ive seen numrous wells in your county at the 100 ft level need to be redrilled as soon as the inevitable drought occurs. Deeper levels tend to (in general) have cleaner water too.

Every well driller and excavator Ive met will not give out a legally binding quote so I dont think the neighbor has any recourse. This is because of the unseen and uncertain nature of geophysical undertakings.

Hopefully the driller was honest. I think your neighbor should consider being grateful that the drillers likely took the most beneficial course of action for the long term outlook.

Edited on 4/20/15 8:21 PM
Post Your Comment