Door County

6/27/14 @ 8:11 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
My 20th wedding anniversary is coming up, and I want to surprise my wife and take her to a bed and breakfast in Door County. We have both always wanted to go there, but have never made it. Have any of you been to a bed and breakfast that you really enjoyed? Also, any recommendations for things to do? Hiking, boating, good restaurants? No plans at this point, but I do want to make it a special weekend, with a nice place to stay, and some fun / interesting things to do.
Edited on 6/27/14 8:12 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts
8/6/14 @ 5:05 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Almost forgot FD...

We took your advice and ate at JJ's. Really a cool place with a great atmosphere.

Post Your Comment
8/6/14 @ 4:59 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Thanks for the tip BT. We stayed at the White Lace Inn. It was a very nice place, Dennis (the Inn Keeper) was a nice guy and pointed us in the right direction. Also, the location was nice and it was a quick walk to downtown shops, taverns, and restaurants. Really appreciate the reccomendation BT. It was exactly what we were looking for.

We spent the first day checking out the east side of Door County and went up to see the Cana light house, and then meandered back to Sturgeon Bay stopping here and there when we saw something that interested us.

The second day we headed north on 42 up to Sister Bay. My wife and I enjoyed the west side more than the east side of Door County.

Our favorite place in Door County ended up being Ephraim. We took a historic tour of the Anderson general store, the Moravian church opened by city's founder Andrew Iverson, the one room school house etc. Really interesting (if you like that kind of history.) Also, really enjoyed the views of the bay from Ephraim.

We also enjoyed the museum in Sturgeon Bay, lots of local beer and wine, and of course great food. We ate out 6 times and didn't get a bad meal.

Thought the gift shops were touristy and boring, but really enjoyed the food,beer, museums, and endless things to do.

We will have to visit again - pretty unique place.

Post Your Comment
6/28/14 @ 8:42 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Thanks guys...

Now I have a general direction...

Thanks for the B&B suggestion BT. They have availability for my time slot so I think I am going to reserve a room.

Thanks to all for the tips. Keep em' coming. Now I know what to google!

Post Your Comment
6/28/14 @ 6:57 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Where ever you end up in DC, make sure you check out Fishstock. It's basically an old barn that has live music. I don't remember what night but I know it's near or on a weekend. Google it!

Post Your Comment
6/28/14 @ 6:48 PM
IceManKimi
IceManKimi
USER since 7/20/07
Congrats on your 20th!! I'm assuming you want all reviews. Too many people for me. Every town is bumper to bumper in summer. How many galleries can the county sustain?

The scenic views are awesome because I love the water, but just to "touristy" for my tastes.

Post Your Comment
6/28/14 @ 5:00 PM
FDL Mike
FDL Mike
USER since 6/15/01
put together boiler , installed piping system in Door Co Brewery in Baileys Harbor. have to go up there one last time this week for boiler and chiller start up, flush system, and owner walk through , to explain how system operates.. cool place , nice people working there. Been a very good positive expierience

Post Your Comment
6/28/14 @ 4:07 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
Hehehe sorry carp on the fly near Tofts Point.....

Thumbs have their limitations ....

Post Your Comment
6/28/14 @ 4:06 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
Tofts point is very good.

Post Your Comment
6/28/14 @ 4:05 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
I was born on Washington Island..... To each their own, but Rock island is nice for hiking. White Gull is a nice place to stay and eat for celebration. Go hike White Fiah Dunes state park, really neat and diverse ecosystem. This time of year crap on the fly near T

Post Your Comment
6/28/14 @ 9:22 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I enjoy going to Door County in summer about as much as I like getting a root canal but the White Lace Inn in Sturgeon Bay is very nice. My wife and I stayed there 19 years ago for our pre-honeymoon. Ironically, we got a house, dog and son shortly afterwards and never got around to the actual honeymoon so I guess that was it. It's a real nice place and there are a lot of restaurants and attractions within walking distance.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts