do you wish you retired earlier?

10/24/15 @ 9:40 AM
ORIGINAL POST
snkskgb
snkskgb
USER since 7/14/08
I want to hear your story. Do you wish you would have retired earlier? If you did retire in your 50's was it a good idea?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 122 Posts
11/1/17 @ 8:48 PM
jaybeeturtle
jaybeeturtle
USER since 3/17/06

All the guys I know who retired early and stayed happy,  all started their own part time businesses. Everything under the sun. Woodworking, buying and selling houses, painting art, classic car restoration, making picture frames, tax preparation (!) , you name it. 

Let's just say, they kept productive. I think men need to keep producing in some capacity, or they slowly start to die. 

Edited on 11/1/17 8:49 PM
Post Your Comment
11/1/17 @ 8:27 PM
waltereye sr.
waltereye sr.
USER since 6/25/01

You certainly have the correct frame of mind young Man. Good luck to You

Post Your Comment
11/1/17 @ 5:34 PM
og tower
og tower
USER since 8/26/12

Some good insight here. I am 26 and have 26k in my roth IRA I started funding with my first job at age 15 frying up burgers at mcdonalds. Paid for college out of pocket working overnights, but I always tried to put away a minimum of $50/mo usually all I had to do was buy a few less cases of beer each week (kidding...kind of)

Now I finally have a job where I get a 401k with a nice match and profit sharing. I'm looking to max out my savings, hoping to retire as early as possible. Maybe do some PT work, but have the freedom to spend most of my day in the woods or on the water. I was always told once you stop working you start dying, but that doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be the paying kind of work. If you have a passion that keeps you active than why not retire as soon as you can and enjoy it while you're still able to.

Post Your Comment
10/31/17 @ 6:45 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I'm fortunate to have a good supply of chaga on our property.  I also work with a gal who has her degree in Herbal Science from a well respected university who has taught me the proper way to extract the max benefit from chaga.  It takes a combo of alcohol and water to get the lipid- and aqueous-soluble compounds from the material.

Find an herbalist in your area.  They'll know all of this and can hook you up with a good tincture of chaga!

Post Your Comment
10/31/17 @ 4:32 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Utahman-

I second the Chaga comment.  The stuff is unbelievable.  I make a huge stockpot of it and dump it into an iced tea container.  After 3 batches the Chaga pieces lose their potency, and you can't get a very dark tea anymore. 

When this happens I put the spent pieces in a mason jar and pour vodka on top of them.  Alcohol brings out antioxidants that heating in water can't.  It's a secondary way to get the rest of the good stuff out before discarding.

I take the mason jars of chaga / vodka to deer camp so we can feel good about being healthy while playing cards and drinking more than we should hehe!!!

Chaga and Curcumin are two of the best natural things a guy can do for himself. 

Edited on 10/31/17 4:33 PM
Post Your Comment
10/31/17 @ 7:55 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

When I early retired ...Number Question was what do with your time!

Now it's all about healthcare...I hoped Obamacare was the real deal....not even close ...

Post Your Comment
10/31/17 @ 7:41 AM
sheephead
sheephead
USER since 2/8/17

I have many people tell me to retire as soon as possible. Easy for other people to say. I look foward to retirement but at the same time it scares the hell out of me. Giving up a job that has paid the bills for over 30 years is a big deal. I agree that health insurance is the biggest obstacle. I see myself as the type of person who would want to get some kind of PT job. Enough to have extra spending money on hunting and fishing supplies and trips. I am still a good 7 years out before I can even consider however. In 2 years my house will be free of children and then I will be able to really see how that changes the finances. I will work till the day I die if something happens to my wife. Without her I am not sure the whole retirement time would be that great. Being alone would suck and there is no way I would want to get into the dating game. I can totally see why people have a hard time deciding when to pull the plug. 

Post Your Comment
10/31/17 @ 7:24 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

Chaga mushrooms. Chaga mushroom (Inonotus obliquus) is a fungi that grows on birch trees and is the most potent antioxidant on this planet. It tops the other famous antioxidants such as green tea, moringa tree and many more

Post Your Comment
10/31/17 @ 5:19 AM
utahman
utahman
USER since 3/9/03

Joey you might try a natural cure. Chaga is the only known cure for psoriasis. It is the worlds most potent antioxidant. You can drink the tea or take it in capsule form.It is also good for all the body.Since you like being outdoors you may try to find some. I harvest and process it myself.

Post Your Comment
10/31/17 @ 1:35 AM
joeywadu
joeywadu
USER since 5/13/02

Hey guys...poison 

Yes I'm still hanging in there...yes sherm..

I get the remicade also..they just increased my dosage on the 6th of October and it knocked me down pretty bad...I'm starting to get my wind the last few days...I got pretty sick on this last one...couldn't hold anything g down for a few days...and my mom's friend gets it to and she says it don't affect her at all...maybe I'm a baby...haven't been able to go hunting at all...just trying to get better....anyway I appreciate hearing from everyone...really..thanks poison..a couple of pics of what it looks like when the medicines not working

Wadu

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 122 Posts