Diesel Mechanic School

10/17/14 @ 11:11 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Smallie Chaser
Smallie Chaser
MEMBER since 7/13/01
My son is a senior and thinks he wants to go to diesel mechanic school next year. I am looking for facts, or opinions I guess, on which school would be better for the money. He is looking at UTI near Chicago, Fox Valley Tech in Appleton, or NWTC in Sturgeon Bay. We had the rep. from UTI at the house giving his dog and pony show pushing their school being the best, but I'm having a hard time swallowing the $31,000 price tag. Then on top of that needing more training to get the manufacturers certification that he says you need to do warranty work at a dealership. That would be another 9-27 months, and another probably $5,000-$10,000. Plus $458 a month for housing. I guess the main question is can he get the same training at Fox Valley for around $10,000, and will he be as employable? If anyone has any practical experience with this I would like to hear about it. Thanks in advance.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
10/20/14 @ 11:43 AM
crawdaddy
crawdaddy
USER since 7/11/01
I like Castings plan. Some places are so desperate to get a quality person that they will pay to train the right person. I see that is nursing, ultrasound, and a few other medical professions...

Post Your Comment
10/20/14 @ 6:08 AM
Smallie Chaser
Smallie Chaser
MEMBER since 7/13/01
Thanks for all of the good info. guys.

Post Your Comment
10/18/14 @ 3:48 PM
bowtech Dee
bowtech Dee
USER since 10/23/12
UTI I don't recommend. I work at a dealer and I think we get more people with no clue from UTI then any other place...just my 2 cents. When I go for training for Ford the Ford and UTI buildings are the same buildings. I think you can do better.

Edited on 10/18/14 3:50 PM
Post Your Comment
10/17/14 @ 5:13 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
my buddy went through the appleton school and he is working for CAT right now repairing their stuff. The school is fine

Post Your Comment
10/17/14 @ 2:21 PM
crawdaddy
crawdaddy
USER since 7/11/01
FVC will be fine. Employers don't care where you learn how to fix a diesel engine. All they care as that you know how and will work hard. Don't waste your money.

My friend was not so lucky. He went to school to be a diesel fitter. Found out the only job he could get was at Fruit of the Loom. His job was to put the undies on his head and say..."yep, Dees 'ill fit 'er".

Post Your Comment