Cougar sighting

2/20/18 @ 10:57 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Drawsbaby
Drawsbaby
USER since 5/7/03

Cougar sighting on home surveillance camera near Milwaukee. I wonder if the DNR is going to say it was a pet that escaped. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 22 Posts
5/26/18 @ 1:21 AM
fishingmaster1997
fishingmaster1997
USER since 4/18/12
Saw what looked like a mountain lion tonight on Granville rd in mequon while driving in the dark. I only saw the ass end of it as it and the outline of its body as it was crossing the road and it was pretty brief but I’m almost positive. Had a very large tail I don’t know how to discribe other than “full” with black on the end. And it was much larger than the coyotes we have out here. It was definitely a feline and it was much larger than a bobcat. I really wish I could’ve gotten a better look. 

Edited on 5/26/18 11:46 AM
Post Your Comment
3/5/18 @ 12:09 AM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

One was seen today in my sister in laws backyard.  North of Sussex . She does have chickens  , but they were still in the coop . Maybe came to the scent ?

Post Your Comment
2/23/18 @ 2:47 PM
deskjockey
deskjockey
USER since 1/23/10

Fish, For the record I wasn't poking you in the eye. I've seen numerous comments that the cats spotted are males seeking their own territories and females to breed. I've always thought that the adult females must also be territorial to protect limited food resoursces for themselves and their offspring, and that young females, or even adults, would disperse in hard times to find food and/or their own space. I think over time the spread of females into the currently male dominated outlying areas will increase and that breeding populations will be established or grow from their current range.

Post Your Comment
2/23/18 @ 1:30 PM
Fishsqueezer
Fishsqueezer
USER since 5/19/06

I’ll amend my statement to 95% chance they’re all males. The breeding and dispersal habits of cougars do not require female cougars to disperse very far beyond their natal range. No one is saying it will never happen but even with western populations stable or  increasing, the chances of breeding populations popping up are still pretty slim with the wide swath of poor habitat between wisconsin and the nearest breeding populations. And they’ve probably been passing through for years. The difference now is detection is much more probable with the billion trail cams that are deployed that weren’t around 15 years ago. 

Edited on 2/23/18 1:33 PM
Post Your Comment
2/23/18 @ 1:21 PM
crawdaddy
crawdaddy
USER since 7/11/01

I saw this one along the bluffs in LaCrosse County last fall.....Just quietly sleeping in a tree.

Post Your Comment
2/23/18 @ 12:48 PM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03

I have basement windows at ground level and have tom turkeys "fight themselves" annually.  It funny until you are sitting on the floor in the basement with your back to the window when it happens.  Then it requires a change of underwear.  

Post Your Comment
2/23/18 @ 11:07 AM
Carpio
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

The cat probably saw it’s reflection and was curious. We had a wild turkey do this at our place.  CARPIO 

Post Your Comment
2/23/18 @ 10:56 AM
deskjockey
deskjockey
USER since 1/23/10

The cougar killed last year in Iowa by a teenager in "self defense" was an 83# female- so much for only males leaving the Dakotas.

Post Your Comment
2/23/18 @ 6:53 AM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Not triue IMK, this is a cougar sighting thread (which actually do exist), the other thread is for Yeti’s, werewolves, man-dogs, Sasquatch, and Bigfoot that have been known to frequent certain parts of Walworth County.  

Big Shane knows, he saw one with red eyes!!!  

Plus, look at the photo on the Bigfoot thread and compare it to the cougar pic on this thread - clearly separate creatures.  

Edited on 2/23/18 7:01 AM
Post Your Comment
2/23/18 @ 12:23 AM
IceManKimi
IceManKimi
USER since 7/20/07

Moderators, please combine this thread with the Bigfoot thread.

They're the same. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 22 Posts